Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Bowling Green Week

4 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Disagree, this is not unique to UB.  Robbins doesn't surprise me, as he hasn't played this year.  But Davis has gotten plenty of playing time, so that was a shock.

I didn't mean UB specifically, I'm talking generational and NCAA as well. We may as well just have free agency every year at this point.

1 minute ago, UB65Son said:

Myers is not the guy. Time to see Trevor or Casey. Start playing the young kids to give them experience.  Also time for a new defensive coordinator.  I don't think the Bulls win another game.  And nice heart at the end of the game.

They need to get Brian Plummer ready for game #1 next year. This was by far the most embarrassing in many years. BG is a poor team that we handed big play after big play. We were not ready for this game.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, UBinMD said:

They need to get Brian Plummer ready for game #1 next year. This was by far the most embarrassing in many years. BG is a poor team that we handed big play after big play. We were not ready for this game.

Feels a little strange to say it, but I agree - this is one of the worst losses this team has had in many years.  I'll still be back watching next week, but it's certainly a disappointment.  There's a lot of work to be done for next year.

Worst defensive performance in how many years?  Just bush league. Not FBS caliber.

O played hard but started late, again.  I agree with others that Myers is limited.  Good runner and can operate the offense, but those intermediate and long throws are rough.

My thoughts from my perch up in 326.

I said this last home game - is there a gas leak in the locker room?  This team comes out of the gate sleeping yet again, gets in a hole, and shows some character to dig themselves out.  I don't have a problem with any of the game situation coaching calls, but I wonder why this team comes out so slow.  I coach kids and adults, I get that there are ways to get everyone physically ready to play but it can be a challenge to get everyone mentally ready to compete.  They were not ready, and that's the thing I would ding the coaches and leaders for.  I really think a better start will allow UB to take over some games, as they get rolling, instead of fighting out of a deficit.

Overall though, you can't make this many mistakes and expect to win.  I tend to think that when you score 30+ points that should be enough to win, unless another part of your team isn't getting their end of the job done.  I don't want to say the offense was great (it was putrid for a lot of the first half) but they put up points.  The defense kept giving up big plays and couldn't get any takeaways.  Plain and simple you can't win when the defense is playing like that.  There's nothing nice to say about giving up 56 points at home to a 2-win team, despite a couple short fields off turnovers.  Their coverage was bamboozled too many times.

I'll say this - on both sides of the ball, the Bulls are lacking athletes.  They get burned on defense with big gains because they can't cover ground in the secondary.  They can't get separation or stretch the field on offense with any of these receivers.  The running backs are tough but lack that next gear to breakaway like Patterson had.

McDuffie - he had a lot of TOUGH yards today.  Moving the pile, yards after first and second contact, the Bulls got a tough performance from him today.
Myers - he looked like a guy who hasn't played much in a while.  He really has some zip on his passes but he made a few bad decisions on where to go with them.  His athleticism allows them some more flexibility in the plays they can run.  I don't want to be too tough on him because he got the offense moving second half.
Vantrease - I've said before, he's an average QB who's a good game manager but with this cast, has a tough time doing too much himself.  He's good in the right situations.  Both of these QBs need to move out of trouble quicker.  I think neither of them are helped by receivers that can't get separation - there are times where it's like, I get it, where are you going to go with this?
Quion Williams - he's going to get a lot of chances to catch the ball here because who else is there?  But he doesn't get separation on the sidelines.  It means we can't go long, but it also means a lot of (sometimes iffy) interference calls (with classic MAC refs).
The defense - nothing nice to say.

BGSU - this game got mean.  They were willing to get angry and hit people in the mouth.  At times, this backfired - like the Bulls drive in the third quarter that features FIFTY penalty yards on the Falcons.  Their idiocy almost let UB take this (the way ODU and Ohio's idiocy did) but the momentum kept shifting.  And here I thought Dan Dakich was the only clown coach that BG would send up this way - Falcons, you've done it again.

18 hours ago, promotherobot said:

How do they teach tackling? Hit people but don't use your arms? Annnd another def breakdown.

Agreed. Bulls appear to be unable to separate on offense and close on defense…you can coach technique but you can’t teach speed. However, there’s no excuse for poor tackling. Sheesh, if the Bulls coaching staff can’t manage this, just invite the damn rugby coach to practice for a day…

Edited by 1975

The BG WR's just torched our CBs - whether blocking on runs to the outside or running right past our secondary on the long ball. It was nothing but big plays in the second half and we had nobody who could match up. I don't understand how that team lost to Akron. Either we got a helluva lot worse or BG played their most inspired game of the year because they were definitely the better team on the field on Saturday. Our weakness was exposed.

Is it true that 2 CB's entered the portal prior to this game? If so, those guys should be ashamed for leaving their teammates out to dry and honestly shouldn't get another look at an FBS program elsewhere. Leaving mid-season is BS.

I can get how aggressive and amped up BGSU was, after all we won the last 4 meetings and JP embarrassed their D the last 2 years. We didn't match them at all.

I still do not understand why, after losing key DB's to the portal before and during the season, we still start a nickel-back yet are softer than ever in the open field. Either poor tackling or just over-pursuing, out of place, and wide open lanes with no speed to compensate the mistakes. That's on the coaches. The D was decent with a true 4/3/4, not what we see on the field. It's not like we have an Okezie Alozie or Larry Hutchinson out there. Just go back to 3 LB's withTre Wilkins or Tim Terry..who took his name out of the portal after all, but didn't even play this week. Pretty please coaches, tinker with the D how you want it AFTER you get your players in here.

15 hours ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

I can get how aggressive and amped up BGSU was, after all we won the last 4 meetings and JP embarrassed their D the last 2 years. We didn't match them at all.

I still do not understand why, after losing key DB's to the portal before and during the season, we still start a nickel-back yet are softer than ever in the open field. Either poor tackling or just over-pursuing, out of place, and wide open lanes with no speed to compensate the mistakes. That's on the coaches. The D was decent with a true 4/3/4, not what we see on the field. It's not like we have an Okezie Alozie or Larry Hutchinson out there. Just go back to 3 LB's withTre Wilkins or Tim Terry..who took his name out of the portal after all, but didn't even play this week. Pretty please coaches, tinker with the D how you want it AFTER you get your players in here.

Watching the game (when I had it on), those big plays (especially the runs where players were out of position) reminded me of a HS game, to be honest.  The UB-BGSU was much closer to a HS game than it was to Michigan-Michigan State being played at the same time.

I am not really sure what UB does with the QB situation, though that doesn't matter as much as the defense.   I've seen UB beat teams during the past few years in the MAC that were overmatched on defense.  On Saturday, the tables were turned.

• Like 1