Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

MAC looking into expansion (WKU, MTSU)

Please merge if needed. Pete Thamel reports the MAC is indeed looking at Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee State as possible expansion candidates.

WKU would instantly upgrade basketball for the conference. They have one of the best resumes of any non-power conference program based on their history. Football wise, they’d be competitive right away.

MTSU would bring a solid market and expand the MAC southward. Not a ton of history but a decent decade run under Kermit Davis in men’s hoops.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

47 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

Someone suggested looking at North Dakota State and South Dakota State as well if they want to ascend to FBS.

The travel to those locations would be prohibitive for very little value. They are sexy picks since they dominate their areas, but no recruiting base to pickup from there.

Those two programs, MTSU and WKU for football seem to fit the level of play we see in the MAC.  Some years they are very solid and high scoring, some years not so much.  But always seem to have competitive teams.

If they do join the MAC, it will be interesting to see how they align the conference.

Would they be coming in as full members or football only?

My concern is that it doesn't really bring anymore money into the conference, but travel budgets are going to go way up... How are teams like volleyball, soccer, tennis and others getting to WKU and MTSU... I just feel like this is going to take a toll on the department with maybe not so much upside.

Interestingly enough, UB and WKU already have a home and home set with WKU coming to Alumni in MBB in 2023... Would be funny if that is now a conference game.

53 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

Would they be coming in as full members or football only?

My concern is that it doesn't really bring anymore money into the conference, but travel budgets are going to go way up... How are teams like volleyball, soccer, tennis and others getting to WKU and MTSU... I just feel like this is going to take a toll on the department with maybe not so much upside.

Interestingly enough, UB and WKU already have a home and home set with WKU coming to Alumni in MBB in 2023... Would be funny if that is now a conference game.

Would be full members so they would be basketball games too. 

4 hours ago, zigo230 said:

Those two programs, MTSU and WKU for football seem to fit the level of play we see in the MAC.  Some years they are very solid and high scoring, some years not so much.  But always seem to have competitive teams.

If they do join the MAC, it will be interesting to see how they align the conference.

The MAC would almost certainly realign their divisions. Instead of East/West, I think they would switch to North/South.

This is how I would do it:

North:

Buffalo, Akron, Kent State, Western Michigan, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Northern Illinois

South: 

Ohio, Miami, Western Kentucky, MTSU, Bowling Green, Toledo, Ball State

You could obviously swap Akron/Kent with Toledo/Bowling Green. Thought about having Ball State in North but I think it’s only fair to have BGSU and Toledo in same division if you’re going to switch things up.

• Like 1

If you keep East/West it could be...

East: Buffalo, Kent State, Akron, Miami, Ohio, Toledo, Bowling Green (AKA Ohio + Buffalo Division)

West: Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan, NIU, Ball State, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee

I gotta say I'm bummed that Marshall isn't coming back.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RochBull said:

If you keep East/West it could be...

East: Buffalo, Kent State, Akron, Miami, Ohio, Toledo, Bowling Green (AKA Ohio + Buffalo Division)

West: Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan, NIU, Ball State, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee

I gotta say I'm bummed that Marshall isn't coming back.

At this point, that’s probably the way I’d go as well. I was intrigued by realigning the divisions as referenced earlier but this suggestion makes more sense if WKU and MTSU are fine with the travel, which it appears they will be according to their fanbase.

1 hour ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

At this point, that’s probably the way I’d go as well. I was intrigued by realigning the divisions as referenced earlier but that suggestion makes more sense if WKU and MTSU are fine with the travel, which it appears they will be according to their fanbase.

Based on geography I think your North/South divisions make the most sense.  The two additions are closest to S-SW Ohio.  And you keep a couple important MC rivalries intact.  I think Buffalo can move anywhere since they don't have any true longtime rivals..  I suppose hoops with UB/Kent state or UB/Akron would be the closest thing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Western Kentucky AD Stewart provides a bunch of details behind the last couple of weeks for the Hilltoppers…..Further, Stewart: "Marshall really wanted to make Conference USA work – they really did." Of particular note on how things worked out: "If we had been invited to join the MAC, we would have said yes. If we're invited to join the MAC down the line, then I think the answer to that would probably be yes, because if it makes sense today, then I think it's safe to assume it would make sense down the line….”

19 hours ago, UB77 said:

The argument to expand is to increase your market size. Bigger market, greater brand recognition, larger returns. It makes sense until the operational costs exceed the benefit. Part of what did in CUSA.

That’s true for power conferences. 

That’s not true for internet streaming conferences.  It’s about bringing in the fan base of the teams.  MTSU doesn’t even have Murfreesboro locked down.  Which is why streaming is how their fans from all over watch their team play. 

Do we care about playing a football game in Tennessee and Kentucky once every six years and in basketball once every other year?

How much does that boost the brand?  Are we looking to recruit players and students from there?