Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB @ Michigan - Wed. 11/10/21

MuchMany

3 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I disagree with the announcers. Michigan didn't "shut the water off" on Williams, his teammates did.

I didnt mind going away from him at first but it lasted too long

Like if you move away from him for a few minutes so he can "rest while on the floor" is one thing but lasted far too long and seemed to avoid him 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikescherrer8 said:

I’m just being sour. We were right there, within 5. Just disappointed in the “game plan” the last 8 minutes 

I wonder if Williams was a bit tired and they stopped going to him or they thought he was heavily guarded. Anyway we hung tough with a NCAA tournament championship contender, if we can hang with Michigan we should be able to beat most mid major programs 

2 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

Just saw the Twitter, a lot of Michigan fans are impressed with our performance. We battled really hard. Now let’s go kill North Texas. I believe the threes will come, can’t judge off one game. 

The 2nd half was impressive

I don't know what happened from the 1st media time out of the 1st half to the last media time out of the first half but ub forgot how to play defense and only seemed to jack up 3s 

Well, Coach (coming to reason) had this team as pumped up for this game as a person going into a root canal. We played scared the entire first half and we forgot that the basis of our fast-paced offense was stout defense. I would do just about anything for a Dontay Caruthers or an Andy Robinson. Those type of guys are the only reason we won games.

Edited by clodney
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

I wonder if Williams was a bit tired and they stopped going to him or they thought he was heavily guarded. Anyway we hung tough with a NCAA tournament championship contender, if we can hang with Michigan we should be able to beat most mid major programs 

I was thinking that he might be tired played 38 minutes and did a lot on his own.   Need to get better with the threes.  If they make 30% you got a ball game.  

Was nice seeing team make free throws.

11 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

things to think about  

1. This was the first game they have played with a large road crowd

2. Hardnett didn't play

Could help explain the start and hardnett only improves this team 

Bertram is way to slow, Skogman did well with Dickinson. Granted he’s 7’1 and one of the best centers in the country. Bertram I won’t mind playing limited minutes but they shouldn’t play him that heavily, I think having hardnett out didn’t help that

• Like 1

What is the status of Hardnett anyway?

Also, this game reminded me of the West Virginia game where we ended up pulling the upset. We chipped away at the lead. This time though we stopped feeding the best player who was Williams. He was having a CJ Massinburg game. But poor shot selection and the officiating was suspect at times with all these double techs killing our momentum and flow of the game. We’ll be good the rest of the way but I thought this one was winnable honestly. 

39 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

Just saw the Twitter, a lot of Michigan fans are impressed with our performance. We battled really hard. Now let’s go kill North Texas. I believe the threes will come, can’t judge off one game. 

Hope you don’t mind a Michigan fan echoing this sentiment. I was bracing for a really tough game coming into it, then got way too comfortable in the first half. You just kept pushing and gave us a lot to focus on defensively. 

Williams is a beast and would easily be all-Big Ten first team.  Overall this team can be a S16 team with the right matchups. Best of luck the rest of the way, let’s help each other’s resumes!

also OP, tell Hunter we love him 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, zigo230 said:

Solid effort. It’s too bad they got down by like 20 in the first half.  They were better the rest of the way.

Anyone else have UB +12.5 ?  what a sweat late.

Maybe Coach Mo gave the pregame speak and said you sleepwalk thru the first half and can just turn it on in the second half 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

Also, this game reminded me of the West Virginia game where we ended up pulling the upset. We chipped away at the lead. This time though we stopped feeding the best player who was Williams. He was having a CJ Massinburg game. But poor shot selection and the officiating was suspect at times with all these double techs killing our momentum and flow of the game. We’ll be good the rest of the way but I thought this one was winnable honestly. 

Winnable if they hit a few more 3s.  The 3s looked rushed to me, maybe make one more pass to get better look.  

In my opinion Jeenathan may have been tired or JH told his team, make someone else beat you.   

One big difference with WV game, WV ended that year ranked in 80s, Michigan will likely be seeded very high come tournament time. 

• Like 1

Just my 2 cents, but when we closed it to 5, we stopped attacking the basket. We got lazy and started jacking up 3s, probably bc we got a few to fall, but at that point Michigan took advantage and put us away. I didn’t expect Michigan to come out as in sync as they were. They’re a heck of a squad and proud how we battled. As said above, a few 3s fall in the first half, it’s a different game. On to UNT. 

Do I preach the moral victory or take a tough love stance? From the under 4 minute timeout in the 1st half to the 5 minute mark in the 2nd half we were step for step with Michigan. It’s those other minutes where we have to learn and grow from. Those were the frustrating minutes bc we all expect and know we are capable of more. I wanna win every game but at the same time I look at the non conference as the time to prep for the conference season. All that said we need to shoot better. That isn’t a one game sample. That dates back a few years now. Our perimeter shooting hasn’t been good. And we need to tighten up on defense. There were a lot of instances of defenders getting lost on cuts and screens. Game one of a long season, lots to be optimistic about. One thing I’d like to note…we need more minutes from our bench. Specifically the backup PG…Rondo can’t play 38 minutes every game. The quicker we get guys involved and settle roles and minute distributions, the better we will be. I could go on but I’ll just be repeating what others have said.

• Like 1

I watched the game and was impressed with the toughness of the team in the second half. Dickinson was gonna get his I expected that going into the game. In order to beat a team like Michigan on the road you have to shot a good clip from 3 and we just did not do that at all. Was really disappointed with Maceo Jack and Brewton. Combined 2-12 from 3pt line and supposed to be there game.  The shots were also good takes and some were wide open, just missed. Need better play out of both of them. Segu also can’t play 38 minutes a game, Curtis Jones or someone else needs to play a bigger role, need Segu to have fresh legs in crunch time. I expect a better shooting performance against North Texas.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MKBullsfan said:

From what I’ve been told, Hardnett has been banged up and hasn’t been able to be a consistent contributor during practices. Don’t know the extent but was told that it doesn’t seem likely that he’ll have a major role early on in the season.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

8 hours ago, Ubbulls84 said:

I watched the game and was impressed with the toughness of the team in the second half. Dickinson was gonna get his I expected that going into the game. In order to beat a team like Michigan on the road you have to shot a good clip from 3 and we just did not do that at all. Was really disappointed with Maceo Jack and Brewton. Combined 2-12 from 3pt line and supposed to be there game.  The shots were also good takes and some were wide open, just missed. Need better play out of both of them. Segu also can’t play 38 minutes a game, Curtis Jones or someone else needs to play a bigger role, need Segu to have fresh legs in crunch time. I expect a better shooting performance against North Texas.

Putting on my optimist hat, I think Brewton and Jack will find their shots. They just have to wait for open looks and take advantage. With teams having to focus on Williams, Segu, and Mballa those looks like come. It seemed like after the first couple misses they started forcing them up, either trying to cut the deficit or find their rhythm. Unfortunately it just wasn’t there yesterday.

I also think minutes will get spread out more as the season goes on. Whitesell wasn’t going to throw any of the new guys to the wolves against Michigan. it was also maybe best opportunity Segu and Williams will have to put their skills on tape against higher level competition. Williams especially putting up 32 and looking like the best player on the court will go a long way to showing scouts what he’s got. I’d be surprised to see them play the same amount of minutes against say an SFA or UCI

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Erie County said:

Need the guards to shoot better than 8-32. That was unexpected.

Man, what happened to Jack? He was a total liability. 

Love me some Mballa, man is hungry every player.

I think Jack fell into the 2020 Brewton trap. Wanted to show his abilities and be a contributor on a deep team. I saw flashes and he played decent defense. I think things will fall for him and he will become a fan favorite. That was a tough draw out of the gate and I think he pressed hard and thought he could shoot himself out of it (as all great shooters do).