Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

What I’d Like To See

DaBulls99

It’s a new year and one that seems to obviously be getting a good deal of hype. This is very much Jim’s team, hopefully the team can meet its expectations on paper. 

That said, what are you hoping to see (besides obviously wins)? Here’s a few from me:

1. Someone develop into a defensive stopper. Hopefully one of the younger guys. This team has lacked that. Mballa is great around the rim but we’ve had a devil of a time the last few years slowing our opponents best player in a guard dominated league. Turner is gone, LCJ is gone. But inevitably it’ll be someone new. Need a stopper. 
2. Free throw shooting. Think we all know. 
3. We have 1 Junior who plays in Hardnett and 1 Sophomore we expect to play more (but hasn’t really yet) in Skogman. Gosh we need some player development from the young guys quickly. Skogman especially. 
4. Someone who wants the damn ball. In crunch time when we needed a bucket, nobody has seemed to want the ball like CJ Buckets used to, to provide the knock out punch. 
5. Brewton to be a respectable threat from outside. It can open up so much. 
6. Another solid class for next year. 😁

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

It’s a new year and one that seems to obviously be getting a good deal of hype. This is very much Jim’s team, hopefully the team can meet its expectations on paper. 

That said, what are you hoping to see (besides obviously wins)? Here’s a few from me:

1. Someone develop into a defensive stopper. Hopefully one of the younger guys. This team has lacked that. Mballa is great around the rim but we’ve had a devil of a time the last few years slowing our opponents best player in a guard dominated league. Turner is gone, LCJ is gone. But inevitably it’ll be someone new. Need a stopper. 
2. Free throw shooting. Think we all know. 
3. We have 1 Junior who plays in Hardnett and 1 Sophomore we expect to play more (but hasn’t really yet) in Skogman. Gosh we need some player development from the young guys quickly. Skogman especially. 
4. Someone who wants the damn ball. In crunch time when we needed a bucket, nobody has seemed to want the ball like CJ Buckets used to, to provide the knock out punch. 
5. Brewton to be a respectable threat from outside. It can open up so much. 
6. Another solid class for next year. 😁

Your list is a good start.   I am hopeful that Jeenathan will be the go to guy in a close game, we will need a way to win close games to reach full potential.

I would say defensive efficiency and rebounding numbers similar to last year, fewer turnovers, and improved (especially 3 point) shooting.

The game notes list the starters as: Williams, Mballa, Brock, Segu, and Jack. 4 Srs and grad student and we'll have to see if that goes beyond the exhibition. I'd bet a potential 2nd deep of Skogman, Hardnett, Blocker (or Fagan for bigger lineup), Brewton, Jones, would likely contend in a few low-major D-1 leagues. 

Edited by RecoveringHillbilly

34 minutes ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

The game notes list the starters as: Williams, Mballa, Brock, Segu, and Jack. 4 Srs and grad student and we'll have to see if that goes beyond the exhibition. I'd bet a potential 2nd deep of Skogman, Hardnett, Blocker (or Fagan for bigger lineup), Brewton, Jones, would likely contend in a few low-major D-1 leagues. 

Williams, Mballa and Brock on the floor together, will our opponents ever get a rebound? 

35 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Don’t forget about Ty Perry from Fordham. He looks like he can be an decent player. Had one person close to the program say he could take over a Dontay Caruthers type role.

Perry is on the roster but in the starters/bench graphic of the game notes, he is not listed. Either an oversight, or perhaps they feel good on backcourt depth and are using a redshirt year.

Nate Will should be the closer/stopper that OP mentions. He was fantastic for large stretches last year and based on his Instagram, he took the offseason very seriously. Not taking a leap here, but I think he's in for one of the better UB seasons in a long time, hopefully ending up in a late 2nd round pick or a priority FA.

I have big expectations for Skogman. Showing that he can dominate even a stretch of a MAC game last year is a strong indicator that he's ready. The stroke is pure, he's mobile, and he can take some pressure off Josh protecting the rim. He's also developed well physically since he got here. I think he's 5th or 6th in minutes played come MAC time.

The sneaky most interesting player to me is Rondo. He was so highly touted for a MAC recruit, big social media star, his best buddy/training partner Nassir Little is in the NBA, and he has generally met but not exceeded expectations. Can he take a next step and really run the team efficiently? If he does take that step distributing while limiting turnovers, generating steals, and knocking down 3s, we should sniff the top 25 at some point in my mind.

Perry is a physical beast from photos/videos. From Boston, seems pretty tough. I could see him being the dog we need at times. Along with Nate, Jack, Mballa, we have some grown ass men that are going to beat teams up who aren't ready for it.

Jack’s stroke is pure.

Blocker and Jones are incredible athletes. Could see them progressing into the defensive stoppers we need. If not this year, next. Played well defensively, rebounded, got to the rim. 

Perry is a dog. Efficient scoring tonight. 

Mading is raw and definitely had some nerves tonight. But man is he long. Great put back dunk. And his elbows were above the rim on the one he misses.

Overall, good outing for the new guys. I’m excited to watch them progress  

• Like 4

Even though it’s just an exhibition game, I think we settle for too many 3’s. I’m not opposed to firing them when you get good looks. But that’s not a way to make a living. Mid range and close range jumpers and finishing at the rim need to be a priority. We got so many guys on this team that can shoot the 3, but I don’t think we should be living and dying by it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Even though it’s just an exhibition game, I think we settle for too many 3’s. I’m not opposed to firing them when you get good looks. But that’s not a way to make a living. Mid range and close range jumpers and finishing at the rim need to be a priority. We got so many guys on this team that can shoot the 3, but I don’t think we should be living and dying by it. 

In the world of analytics, the mid range shot has become obsolete. Getting to the rim, getting fouled, and shooting 3’s is going to be what this team and many teams live and die on

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, C1ubP1fanaticM7 said:

In the world of analytics, the mid range shot has become obsolete. Getting to the rim, getting fouled, and shooting 3’s is going to be what this team and many teams live and die on

100%.  Your efg% will be much higher on layups/dunks/floaters and 3 pointers than midrange shots

1 minute ago, C1ubP1fanaticM7 said:

Funny enough, the mid-range is making a comeback in the NBA now with the new rules they've implemented limiting fouls called. The game is always rebalancing itself.

3 minutes ago, Gxtrex said:

100%.  Your efg% will be much higher on layups/dunks/floaters and 3 pointers than midrange shots

I also agree. It has just changed the game drastically and no matter how much we moan about the game it is here to stay. I think if you look at results of many games the losing team has had a very poor 3 point shooting percentage. It seems we hear the coach’s comment that they tell the players to just continue shooting even when their shooting is way off. The coaches should be able to alter a game plan with some mid range shots and drives to the basket but they all seem to stick with how the game is played now. Being a basketball junkie all my life I will continue to enjoy this game. Go Bulls!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikescherrer8 said:

I agree they should be a bit more judicious for 3 point shot selection - perhaps make one more pass for better look.  However, this team does have bit more 3 point shooting then they did in last year.  Here is a chart from barttorvik.com showing 3 point rate (= # 3pt attempts / (# of 2pt attempts + # of 3pt attempts) relative to 3 pt shooting percentage.  I have circled Oats years in red and Whitesell in blue.   

image.png.fd28619112a8c3346a12ab44008779ad.png

I believe these players all have the ability to shoot 35% or better from three this year:

image.png.d74bcf62156fd9b8f67e473bbaa594d1.png

If they are shooting in this range, I would be comfortable with increasing 3s relative to last year (where we were only 31% of total field goal attempts).  Of course, you have to be flexible.

57 minutes ago, C1ubP1fanaticM7 said:

Thank you for broadening my perspective on this.  Here are two charts from last six years for UB that clearly illustrate your point.  The one on left shows distribution of field goal attempts and the one on right shows points scored per attempt.  Note how the percent of Far 2 attempts decreased over Oats' four years.  Based on your insight - I would like to see the team reduce far-2 shot attempts relative to last year and increase 3pt attempts.  I suspect that the higher percent of close 2 in Whitesell era related to offensive rebounding, so keep hitting the boards for those 2nd chance points.

image.png.f0f3739ea5be0cd8e2cfe02bb0674589.png