Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Raymond Hawkins

trueblue32

9 minutes ago, MDBullsfan89 said:

No guarantee these guys come either. Pretty unlikely even depending on who we hire. 

Agreed. I'm working under the assumption that Hodgson takes over and keeps the team and recruiting picture mostly intact. Not ready to consider the scorched earth scenario yet...

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

Agreed. I'm working under the assumption that Hodgson takes over and keeps the team and recruiting picture mostly intact. Not ready to consider the scorched earth scenario yet...

It really will be interesting what happens.  Will it be Hodgson and will he be able to keep the recruits here?  Will it be someone else outside of the staff?  

But the reality is that this happens over and over and over again when you have good mid-major programs.  That the UB fanbase (well...some of it) is dismayed means that this is really the first time (actually, the second) we are going through this.  But other programs have had this happen repeatedly.  A good coach in the SWAC will get to move up to the OVC, for example.  A good coach in the A10 will also move up.  Everyone moves up...except a handful of coaches and at a handful of places.

It is what it is.  Too bad it had to happen, though.

4 hours ago, MuchMany said:

As I wrote in another thread. It's Oats part of what we loved about him... was well he scorched the earth for us. He gave people lop about how UB is better, deserves better, and should expect better. That worked great when UB was the ones to benefit. This may suck now. Oats is not on our team anymore.

16 hours ago, everlast2504 said:

As I wrote in another thread. It's Oats part of what we loved about him... was well he scorched the earth for us. He gave people lop about how UB is better, deserves better, and should expect better. That worked great when UB was the ones to benefit. This may suck now. Oats is not on our team anymore.

And he never actually believed that UB deserved better.  Otherwise he would have been the first person to treat the program better.  He left without even saying good-bye.  That isn't treating the program better.  That isn't even treating them by the basic standards.

15 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

And he never actually believed that UB deserved better.  Otherwise he would have been the first person to treat the program better.  He left without even saying good-bye.  That isn't treating the program better.  That isn't even treating them by the basic standards.

Edited by UBminicre

He announces today, we all knew as soon as Oats poached him away we weren’t getting him. Personally I really don’t care if we don’t get him. He seems like a massive diva that is all about himself and I personally don’t want someone with an Antonio Brown type personality in the locker room. Wherever he goes, he needs to get over himself

I think fan hype is being projected into people calling him self-absorbed. He’s a highly touted recruit I don’t mind him having some fun with the announcement (which he scheduled to honor his father). We’re not used to recruits of this level that host announcements, I don’t think this one is particularly over the top 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

Tough to comment. He didn't play much on the AAU circuit but was behind some massive names signed to big time schools. He certainly moves well and possesses outstanding athleticism for a man his size. I think he would do well here. Like most freshman, would probably take at least a year even at this level to acclimate, learn to play without fouling, etc. 

I doubt Oats and Hodgson would offer without the feeling that he could contribute down the line at Alabama. 

Hes going for Oats, possibly Hodgson and chance to play SEC ball. Im not sure any of it I can really kill him for. 

He was choosing us over big schools to begin with because of Oats most likely. Shows the size of the school and conference certainly doesn't make his head bigger. He was coming here for the coach... now that the coach is gone... unless he was attached mostly to Hodgson which Im not sure I totally believe. Oats probably had more to do with it. Which is why i makes me think even if Bryan got the UB job no way Hawkins would come.

2 hours ago, skrabukes said:

I'm sure he'll pick Alabama for their educational programs or how much he liked it when he visited. Oh yeah, he couldn't care less about #1 and never visited there.

I am sure told him how nice the weather is in Alabama and how cold it is in Buffalolike he said when he got off the private jet. Really don’t know exactly what kind of player he is but maybe he will be like O’Field who left with Hurley. He did not play for two years and left for JUCO ball I believe.I usually end my comment with Go Bulls!!! Not anymore. What is the war cry or chant they do at Alabama. Oats said in his press conference He loved the students and their war cry or student chant??????

On 3/27/2019 at 8:15 PM, UB92 said:

It really will be interesting what happens.  Will it be Hodgson and will he be able to keep the recruits here?  Will it be someone else outside of the staff?  

But the reality is that this happens over and over and over again when you have good mid-major programs.  That the UB fanbase (well...some of it) is dismayed means that this is really the first time (actually, the second) we are going through this.  But other programs have had this happen repeatedly.  A good coach in the SWAC will get to move up to the OVC, for example.  A good coach in the A10 will also move up.  Everyone moves up...except a handful of coaches and at a handful of places.

It is what it is.  Too bad it had to happen, though.

Agreed it is what it is. I wonder if all the coaches that left their programs after they had success did what Oats did???? Building up everyone’s hopes with all his talk about UB and knowing he was leaving as soon as he got his dream job. It will be interesting how Oats handles any adversity when the team sticks up the joint. When he was a Romulus I believe he had nothing but success and when he was here he had nothing but success. What’s his sales job going to be if they are losing and getting slaughtered in the SEC???? We seen what happened against TT. He got out coached and could not make adjustments. Oh, wait a minute his thoughts were on his dream job!!!!!

Just now, DooleyBull06 said:

He picked Oats.

The thing that I don't understand is why is Hodgson liking tweets of his commitment to Alabama? Has he officially resigned as a coach at UB? Isn't he trying to become the head coach at UB? I'm sorry, but that's more shady-ness. If you want to go with your boy, its fine, then quit at UB and just go away, don't pretend that you want to coach here. Additionally if he is still coaching at UB, his recent actions are a major conflict of interest and breach of contract.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skrabukes said:

The thing that I don't understand is why is Hodgson liking tweets of his commitment to Alabama? Has he officially resigned as a coach at UB? Isn't he trying to become the head coach at UB? I'm sorry, but that's more shady-ness. If you want to go with your boy, its fine, then quit at UB and just go away, don't pretend that you want to coach here. Additionally if he is still coaching at UB, his recent actions are a major conflict of interest and breach of contract.

I understand completely. It is shady for a guy who is in limbo. While liking a tweet isn’t a breach of contract it is definitely shady to us frustrated fans. It’s almost as if he is trying to play both sides. 

But in defense of Hodgson he did get to know Hawkins during the recruiting process so he just feels happy for the kid and liked his tweet.

The bigger thing is that Hodgson hasn’t tweeted in 6 days and his handle and picture remain UB related. For whatever that’s worth.

58 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

What’s your point? So UB fires him? He’ll be really hurting when he goes to Alabama. There’s no shady-ness. UB needs to step up and doing something. They need to make a decision and I have no idea why it’s taking this long. I hope this AD even prepared ahead of time for the possibility of Oats leaving and he did. 

20 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

UB needs to step up and doing something. They need to make a decision and I have no idea why it’s taking this long. I hope this AD even prepared ahead of time for the possibility of Oats leaving and he did. 

I’m pretty sure Alnutt was prepared for the inevitable. We knew Oats was leaving at some point. This is a very important decision, one you don’t rush. Put yourself in his shoes...if you make the wrong hire you get fired. So would you want to risk that on a first timer or someone with experience? Or perhaps he is after someone who is still coaching. I understand we are all impatient but we have to be patient. So far we’ve only lost one commitment (Allen). Hawkins we knew was following Oats.