Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Griffs go down in MAAC semis

UB85

It’ll have to be next year for Reggie. I really thought he had a great chance this year. The MAAC was weak and every team seemingly was sitting on top of the conference standings at one point or another during the year only to lose and fall off the pace. The Griffs laid an egg. They were down by 10 at half, got it down to 3 with the momentum in the second half only to see Monmouth go on a 8 zip run. Was never close after that. I would have liked to see Reg call a TO before it got away from them but he only had two left with 8-9 minutes to go. 

38 minutes ago, UB85 said:

It’ll have to be next year for Reggie. I really thought he had a great chance this year. The MAAC was weak and every team seemingly was sitting on top of the conference standings at one point or another during the year only to lose and fall off the pace. The Griffs laid an egg. They were down by 10 at half, got it down to 3 with the momentum in the second half only to see Monmouth go on a 8 zip run. Was never close after that. I would have liked to see Reg call a TO before it got away from them but he only had two left with 8-9 minutes to go. 

That's typical Reggie.  He never knew when to call a time out.  I watched most of the game.  He should have used one after the Monmouth lead got above 3 again.  Instead he used one at about 4:25 which was right before the under 4 time out.  By the time he used them the game was basically over.  He was also sitting when he should have been up talking motivating his players.  But there is a reason Reggie has never won the big game and Oats has.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Just checked the Canisius fan board. First entry: It’s time to root for Michigan and those who play UB.

I feel for Canisius fans. They once had a very good to great program......about 60 years ago. So they’re left with nothing but (well fill in the blank) 

I still don’t think Reggie can manage a game well. His use of time outs and personnel substitutions were always quesionable. What happened with one of his best players Reese? He quit on the team or did Reggie tick him off? Good coaches are expected to keep their team together. Better luck next year Reggie.

Reese thought he was playing young out the season so he could be an nba player. From what I’m told Reese was just a complete malcontent and got booted as a result. It’s unfortunate. But if the kid had an ounce of CJ in him the Griffs would and should have won the MAAC going away. 

9 hours ago, UB85 said:

It was a tough year with the Reese fiasco and Reggie not having any front court strength or decent big man. The game was like a lot of Canisius games this year. They had defensive lapses, a couple of cold shooting lapses going 4 minutes and 6 minutes in the 2nd half without a field goal and 3-28 from 3’s. Last year and this year they went into the game having beaten the teams they were playing both times in the regular season and lost in the tourney. Right now it does not look like Reggie has any decent recruits coming in next year. Will have to see what develops next year. 

12 minutes ago, pottier25 said:

This already looks like a repeat of his days at UB. They've been decent in the regular season and flame out in the conference tourney. It appears they are just close enough that he keeps his job for way too long.

Had the same thought. I was rooting for Reg to finally make the dance but, alas, the same script played out.

20 hours ago, squire17 said:

Just checked the Canisius fan board. First entry: It’s time to root for Michigan and those who play UB.

I absolutely hate Bonaventure and rooted for them in the NCAA tournament.  Easier to say when you're in though.

I really want Reggie to win a championship but last night's game was painful.  Seemed like there was no hustle in the team, turned the ball over a ton, took terrible shots.

Edited by rma

1 hour ago, rma said:

I absolutely hate Bonaventure and rooted for them in the NCAA tournament.  Easier to say when you're in though.

I really want Reggie to win a championship but last night's game was painful.  Seemed like there was no hustle in the team, turned the ball over a ton, took terrible shots.

Yeah...I watched the second half of this game.   I kind of wanted to see Reggie get the W and get a chance to get to the Dance.   

The game was within 3 points at the under 8 time out and then Monmouth made a few plays and it seemed Canisius froze up a bit.  I was looking for Reggie and he was sitting down.   Someone said this in the thread, but he needed to call a time out during the run.  It went from 3 to 11 and Reggie didn't stop it.  It was painful to watch, actually.

36 minutes ago, UB92 said:

Yeah...I watched the second half of this game.   I kind of wanted to see Reggie get the W and get a chance to get to the Dance.   

The game was within 3 points at the under 8 time out and then Monmouth made a few plays and it seemed Canisius froze up a bit.  I was looking for Reggie and he was sitting down.   Someone said this in the thread, but he needed to call a time out during the run.  It went from 3 to 11 and Reggie didn't stop it.  It was painful to watch, actually.

He took a timeout right after Canisius made a basket too!

Anyone with nothing but extreme appreciation and respect for Reggie is just someone with zero knowledge of the state of the program before his arrival.  People post, without Hurley, there is no Oats.  Well, without Reggie, Hurley wouldn’t of even picked up the phone with the caller ID reading UB.  Is he the greatest coach? No.  But he came from the JUCO ranks and successfully put out a dumpster fire.  And brought UB from the basement to the top quarter of the MAC, just never past the finish line.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MillenniumBull said:

Anyone with nothing but extreme appreciation and respect for Reggie is just someone with zero knowledge of the state of the program before his arrival.  People post, without Hurley, there is no Oats.  Well, without Reggie, Hurley wouldn’t of even picked up the phone with the caller ID reading UB.  Is he the greatest coach? No.  But he came from the JUCO ranks and successfully put out a dumpster fire.  And brought UB from the basement to the top quarter of the MAC, just never past the finish line.

And we love and respect him for that. But I'm glad we kept moving forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, promotherobot said:

And we love and respect him for that. But I'm glad we kept moving forward.

We also respect  and appreciate what Reggie did for the program. He came into a terrible situation but he also was given a decent salary and became a D1 coach. The problem is he could never get us to the next level and sort of wore out his welcome here. The last couple years were not very good mood wise as when we tried to talk to Reggie and some of his assistants at times they were very standoffish and did not show any interest in us as fans. But being that what it was he took us to a competitive level but never to the next level. His coaching personality will never change but hope he can have success at Canisius. Go Bulls!!!!!

I do not know how widespread the sentiment is but there are Griff fans on their board saying it is time to move on. Aside from the state of their program there are complaints about not engaging with fans/alumni or promoting the program. I have no idea about any legitimacy, but their fans are upset with the state of the program. I do not see Bill Maher making any moves to let Reggie go.