Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

The Search for a New Head Coach

Jeseph

5 minutes ago, cheese_66 said:

Just want to mention that Mike Bibby was terminated from coaching at Shadow Mountain due to accusations of sexual abuse. I think we can cross him off the list

Unless they are thinking outside the box, no pun intended.

7 minutes ago, cheese_66 said:

Just want to mention that Mike Bibby was terminated from coaching at Shadow Mountain due to accusations of sexual abuse. I think we can cross him off the list

Oh jeez lol I need to do more research 😂

2 minutes ago, UB05 said:

Lol full page ad in the paper? Come on now. We’ll be lucky to get a twitter mention. He had it changed to Alabama theme before it was even announced, and hasn’t said a thing aside from 30 seconds of phone interview and a small piece through the athletics department. We were sold a load of crap by him. I don’t blame him one bit for leaving for $2.4 million per season, but the way it all went down is definitely showing he was full of sh*t all this time

Do you really think he was just blowing smoke the whole time?  I think he was really open in all of his interviews.  He literally said that he told his agent to say "no" to everything, but if there were offers that were life changing (I forget the words he used), to keep him in the loop.  To move from the MAC to the SEC (especially a team that is competitive) is unusual.  It isn't like he is replacing Drew at 0 - 18 in conference Vandy.    Oats, basically, skipped a step by staying at UB last year and having historic success for the team.

I think if you read too much else into this, you are looking for something that isn't there.  And I do expect Oats to be effusive in his thanks to Buffalo and UB over the next day.

I don't begrudge the man at all.  Offering Hawkins?  It is a cut-throat business.  

The next few days are crucial.  We need to get a coach in quickly (or promote someone from within) that can keep most of our players here -- especially the recruits.  I hope, hope, hope the seniors on team (CJ, etc.) can calm down the other players and convince them that there can still be something special here at UB next year and beyond.

Go Bulls.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

Update: the walk-ons are looking to transfer too...keeps getting worse

37 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

There are rumors online that he was interviewing with different schools while in Tulsa getting ready for the games. 

Any sources/links on these two? Not doubting just curious.

11 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Here's the thing (and I am stating the obvious):  do we make this hire quickly (i.e. internal) in order to help keep the recruits/players here OR do we really think that UB is a destination for some coaches and we could hire a strong coach with a track record?

You know what...let's not kid ourselves.  You can have the best coach, but if the talent isn't there in the players, then you will struggle. 

Upon further consideration, I vote STRONGLY for option 1.  Let's make this an internal hire and try to keep most of our players / recruiting class.

Go Bulls.

17 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Even though it could be a matter of semantics, this is reassuring to me. I'd like to think that UB Head Coach is a better job than Assistant Coach at Alabama, but for a while today I was feeling like Oats would take Hodgson if that's what he wanted.

It's really hire Hodgson at this point if we want to keep any of this momentum going. The program isn't a destination yet, nor is the brand. The people and the talent are the special pieces and we've still got plenty at the moment.

13 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Even though it could be a matter of semantics, this is reassuring to me. I'd like to think that UB Head Coach is a better job than Assistant Coach at Alabama, but for a while today I was feeling like Oats would take Hodgson if that's what he wanted.

It's really hire Hodgson at this point if we want to keep any of this momentum going. The program isn't a destination yet, nor is the brand. The people and the talent are the special pieces and we've still got plenty at the moment.

I mean considering Reggie was the assistant at Alabama after getting fired, we knew this right? 

A few thoughts...

It makes complete sense financially. Worst case, Oats gets fired after a couple of seasons and still makes a generational fortune. Far more loot than even a lengthy stay at UB. So it’s the right thing to do if financial obligation to family is paramount.

We all know there’s more to life than money. Especially when you have a ton of it. There are plenty of examples of insanely wealthy people who are thoroughly miserable. Will a family with roots in the upper Midwest adapt and be happy in the culture of the Deep South? It’s hard to imagine that transition will be seamless. And it’s gotta be so much harder with a young family. If things don’t work out on the court (historical precedence suggests that is more likely than not) and the endless social events with the Bama boosters become unbearable, will they draw sufficient contentment by checking their bank balance?

I have heard it said many times that recruiting is — by far — the most important component of coaching at the D1 college level. Game management is important too, but it’s not nuclear physics. Hodgson has been on the bench at every game and I’d like to assume he’s been paying attention. He clearly knows how to recruit and must be connecting with the players. In my mind, he’s the first choice.

• Like 1

I think best case scenario is to take Oat's salary and divide it amongst Whitesell and Hodgson.

Whitesell - $500k, Hodgson, $300k.  

Whitesell takes over and grooms Hodgson to succeed him.  Not sure what kind of relationship the two have together, but ...

Whitesell is 59.  So he's still got a good 5 years left.  Now will Hodgson wait 5 years for his chance?  Might be worth it if he's associate HC.  At Alabama, he's going to have to be the 3rd or 4th coach.  Do stuff like videos and recruiting.  Oats needs to hire some big guns if he's going to succeed.  For Hodgson, it actually might be his best chance to land a head coaching job at a decent D1 school.

3 minutes ago, admin said:

I think best case scenario is to take Oat's salary and divide it amongst Whitesell and Hodgson.

Whitesell - $500k, Hodgson, $300k.  

Whitesell takes over and grooms Hodgson to succeed him.  Not sure what kind of relationship the two have together, but ...

Whitesell is 59.  So he's still got a good 5 years left.  Now will Hodgson wait 5 years for his chance?  Might be worth it if he's associate HC.  At Alabama, he's going to have to be the 3rd or 4th coach.  Do stuff like videos and recruiting.  Oats needs to hire some big guns if he's going to succeed.  For Hodgson, it actually might be his best chance to land a head coaching job at a decent D1 school.

Hodgson is a WNY native, so hopefully he wants to stay close to home.

2 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

Hope we don't end up regretting this...

Nice hire for Niagara, but I don't think we should be worried about the hire at a KenPom 300s ranked, 3000 undergrad local Catholic school. If we're concerning ourselves with that, then we surely haven't risen to the level that many believe us to have.

15 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Nice hire for Niagara, but I don't think we should be worried about the hire at a KenPom 300s ranked, 3000 undergrad local Catholic school. If we're concerning ourselves with that, then we surely haven't risen to the level that many believe us to have.

Niagara is obviously grooming him to become a successful coach at UB in the future.

• Like 1

If they hire Whitesell, Hodgson is going to Bama along with our recruiting class. If for some reason they chose to not hire Hodgson then you may as well do a nationwide search because you've lost the recruiting class anyways. In no way would Whitesell every be the correct choice