Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

FLJ Status/Updates

As somebody who was upset over Oats and Hurley leaving, I think FLJ absolutely deserves to go home to her alma mater. She put in more than enough years here, and took this program to another level. She probably could have had some of those bigger jobs, but still chose to stay here. Syracuse is her home and she deserves to go make that program something special as well. 

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

As somebody who was upset over Oats and Hurley leaving, I think FLJ absolutely deserves to go home to her alma mater. She put in more than enough years here, and took this program to another level. She probably could have had some of those bigger jobs, but still chose to stay here. Syracuse is her home and she deserves to go make that program something special as well. 

I'm not so upset about her going, for the reasons you gave. I worry she'll take all our good players with her, setting the program back years.

At least she hasn't already left like Oats did with Alabama. He was practically on the plane by the time the clock hit zero.

Edited by promotherobot

1 hour ago, promotherobot said:

I'm not so upset about her going, for the reasons you gave. I worry she'll take all our good players with her, setting the program back years.

At least she hasn't already left like Oats did with Alabama. He was practically on the plane by the time the clock hit zero.

gree, the plane was reving up and ready to taxi. As soon as we heard that the Alabama brass were at Oats home it was goodbye and thanks for the memories. Go Bulls!!!

8 hours ago, rma said:

Not worth it to post in an individual thread, however there's been an entrance in the transfer portal from Amherst, NY.

Could be a 1 year pickup for us, low risk, high basketball IQ, knows the area. FLJ has seen her in action. 

19 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

It's been awfully quiet around Coach Jack. Is it a good sign? Is Mark Alnutt at least discussing what would keep her at UB? I appreciate her not bolting ala Oats.

Hopefully she is letting everyone enjoy the end of the season, getting the praise and accolades. From her tweets, she really likes Alnutt, but not sure if he can get to where she would need to be to stay.

1 hour ago, promotherobot said:

It's been awfully quiet around Coach Jack. Is it a good sign? Is Mark Alnutt at least discussing what would keep her at UB? I appreciate her not bolting ala Oats.

I would think no news is good news. She is under contract. An extension with a large buyout would be nice. But no news is good news

4 hours ago, promotherobot said:

Jack has had a sitting offer from UB for quite some time I heard was “substantial”. Likely weighing her options as she has done most years. She’s earned it either way. 

12 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I would think no news is good news. She is under contract. An extension with a large buyout would be nice. But no news is good news

In my view the probability of FLJ not going to her "dream" job in the ACC for more money in her home town and alma mater is about zero.  I find it hard to come up with a reason she would stay if she was offered the job, and find it hard to believe that the AD would go after someone else, but he does need to go thru the process.

I think Mark Alnutt has plenty of great options to backfill the program with, as FLJ has turned it into a top 75 D1 program.  

Edited by Sportsfan

23 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Always an ambassador but I still see no way that she's our coach next year 🥲

Probably not, but she is class all the way. She would be missed as a coach for sure, but also as a representative and mouthpiece for UB as a whole. She is very passionate and makes people want to buy what she's selling. Let's hope against hope that she is with us next season.

• Like 2

When/if FLJ takes the SU job, she will be coaching against one of her former students, "Mox" Agugua-Hamilton, who just took the Virginia job after spending three years at Missouri State. Agugua played for FLJ at Hofstra.

The situation that played out at Missouri State would be an ideal scenario for UB is FLJ does indeed leave...after Harper left for Tennessee, they brought in Agugua-Hamilton, a top young assistant/associate HC at a solid program (Michigan State).

Missouri State has not had any drop off, if anything, they were even more successful, with a sweet 16 appearance last season and an at-large berth this season.

If we need to hire a new coach, hopefully we will make something close to as good a hire as Missouri State did.

19 hours ago, promotherobot said:

I find it hard to believe that UB will/can offer FLJ the salary and milestone bonuses that SU can afford. Plus there are the intangibles, as other have pointed out, that would be a powerful draw for FLJ to return home. As for the players, I don't see it as FLJ "taking" 1-3 players...in my mind there will be a number of players "wanting to go" with a person who has meant so much to them on and off the court.

1 hour ago, TML1000 said:

The situation that played out at Missouri State would be an ideal scenario for UB is FLJ does indeed leave...after Harper left for Tennessee, they brought in Agugua-Hamilton, a top young assistant/associate HC at a solid program (Michigan State).

Missouri State has not had any drop off, if anything, they were even more successful, with a sweet 16 appearance last season and an at-large berth this season.

If we need to hire a new coach, hopefully we will make something close to as good a hire as Missouri State did.

Been there, done that.  I will pass.

https://msuspartans.com/news/1999/6/21/msu_women_s_basketball_assistant_named_head_coach_at_buffalo.aspx