Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

FLJ Status/Updates

13 hours ago, rma said:

Are you saying that a Michigan State assistant job should be an automatic disqualifier for the UB job? Or you don't like hiring current MSU assistants?

Just pointing out that it has been done before at UB, as most people here were probably unaware that we hired a prior Michigan State assistant to be a first time head coach.  Also Coach Jack was an assistant there at one point in time, but was also head coach before coming to UB.

3 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

We'll see what the portal looks like. If it is massive,  then the years of gains instantly die (see CMU women's team this past year, after their sweet 16 run).

A sad day, but at least she is going to a place that means something to her, not just a money grab. We will see where the search leads up. I see Coach Sharkey is the Acting Head Coach for now, so we will see how that goes. Best of luck to her, hopefully she can find recruits that will buy into her approach and have the athletic ability to compete in the ACC. looks like 5 seniors/grad students, but 2 of the seniors are in the portal, so they must have Covid eligibility left, maybe they come back. That leaves here 7, not sure what they had coming in for recruits, etc. They were 11-18, 4-14 in conference, so not tragically horrible given what they went thru with the previous coach, so hopefully she can get closer to 500 in year 1 at least. I wish her the best, I will miss her ambassadorship for UB.

Just now, BasketBull said:

Agreed. I think Fair is all but gone but maybe we have a chance at keeping and building around Woolley.

Yeah after Fair got screwed out of MAC POY, she may as well go and grow her brand for the WNBA. She already has the height disadvantage to deal with, having to overcome the Mid-Major diss may be too much. Might as well see how you perform in the ACC and build the credentials.

I'm expecting Ms. McNabb's release from her NLI shortly.

By Alnutt's response and their seemingly close relationship, I'm pretty sure this was known for a while, so hopefully the feelers have been out and there is a reasonable transition plan in place. Definitely nervous about what this roster looks like over the next couple of weeks.

Good for her. She has been a class act and a great UB  ambassador. UB is a good and very solid job for a proven, young and up and coming coach. I am hopeful we can fill the  position quickly and create excitement.  As others have stated, the additional immediate concern is the potential loss of both Fair and Woolley.  We should not be surprised. It makes sense for both of them. 

Go Bulls 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, markchicago said:

Good for her. She has been a class act and a great UB  ambassador. UB is a good and very solid job for a proven, young and up and coming coach. I am hopeful we can fill the  position quickly and create excitement.  As others have stated, the additional immediate concern is the potential loss of both Fair and Woolley.  We should not be surprised. It makes sense for both of them. 

Go Bulls 

Congratulations also. It is a great opportunity for her and the memories of exciting, successful teams will last a lifetime. Now comes the worry about a coach and of course will our roster lose our top players. Go Bullls!!!

Just now, promotherobot said:

I think every decent player is gone, to be honest.

I mean, not every player is going to up and leave to Syracuse. They can't just add half of the UB roster and think they'll be top of the ACC. They have some players already, and have the ability to recruit big names both high school and portal players. Let's see who the new coach is, before completely thinking that we're starting from scratch (although I am nervous for sure). 

18 minutes ago, rma said:

Happens even with blue bloods. Vic Schaefer and Kim Mulkey left very successful programs.

Yes but a far better chance the success of the program can be continued at places like that...at a mid major you need to hit the proverbial jackpot.