Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

FLJ Status/Updates

1 minute ago, rma said:

I'd rather not lose to our former players.

Nothing for FLJ to gain on that, so I doubt that will happen. Plus she needs to close this chapter. She needs to focus 100% on Syracuse. It’s a heartless business, but you can’t have your foot in two camps .

Just now, UBinMD said:

Nothing for FLJ to gain on that, so I doubt that will happen. Plus she needs to close this chapter. She needs to focus 100% on Syracuse. It’s a heartless business, but you can’t have your foot in two camps .

I was sad to hear Cierra Dillard was breaking out her orange hoodie 

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

I was sad to hear Cierra Dillard was breaking out her orange hoodie 

It's not surprising, Oats has Pino and Johnson down in Tuscaloosa. Now's the critical point in the program though. We've had tons of WBB alumni engagement over the past few years, time to keep it long term. Are we going to have a player that has transferred out coming to Cleveland to cheer on their former team/coach, like we did this year? Probably not. Can we keep players coming back, especially those that have stayed local? Hopefully.

FLJ is one of the best ambassadors of UB athletics the school has ever seen. She lit up every room she walked in with her bright personality. Her players loved her and she made women's basketball relevant at UB in the same manner that Hurley/Oats did for the men.

Wish her the best at Syracuse. It's her dream job and appears to be a perfect match. My only hope is that UB will hire someone that will be able to continue the positive momentum she started. Obviously, it'll be difficult with Fair and Woolley being potential transfers but I still want to believe that they'll figure it out.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, skrabukes said:

I mean, not every player is going to up and leave to Syracuse. They can't just add half of the UB roster and think they'll be top of the ACC. They have some players already, and have the ability to recruit big names both high school and portal players. Let's see who the new coach is, before completely thinking that we're starting from scratch (although I am nervous for sure). 

So just Fair, Wooley and Camp? Oh, and Lexi McNabb?

Edited by promotherobot

Cherie Cordoba left us for a lateral role at a P5, would presumably do so again if she can win a MAC or two.

Jumping up and down for Sharkey. Sharkey has been at UB since 2010, played with or coached with Kourtney Brown, Loesing, Dillard, Fair. She could keep us winning and represents the best chance for us to retain a successful coach.

Duke could get any coach to replace K, they are staying in house. Cuse could get almost anyone to coach their women, they reached out for an alum who bleeds orange. We should to do the same.

8 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Wilson? If it's all of those, it's a complete reboot. We'll see soon enough. If that happens, it's UB playing in the ACC.

Am I wrong to think SU currently has decent recruits - scholarship players who may be as or more talented than our players not named Fair or Woolley? Also, as much as I like and respect FLJ, I wonder how many current SU players will buy into her “message”. 

8 hours ago, promotherobot said:

So just Fair, Wooley and Camp? Oh, and Lexi McNabb?

If I was Fair, I would rather win with UB than lose with SU.  I would be trying to talk Wolley and Camp to stay one more year like FLJ did instead of bolting.  I think McNabb is gone.  Wolley and Camp can jump to SU after the 23 season.  With the portal then can leave on their terms and on their schedule..

I was at Coach Jack's first game for UB against Canisius.  Watching that game it appeared that UB had hit rock bottom.  As hard as it is to do, I thought that the team could go winless that season.  Some how Coach Jack molded that team to win 12 games and go .500 in conference.  That first season showed that she had an ability to coach and get the most out of her players.

By the end of her time at UB her teams could hold there own with any team in the country without being embarrassed.  They can play with the with the UConns (2019 NCAA) and South Carolinas (2018 NCAA and 2021 Battle4Atlantis) and Tennessee (2022 NCAA).  Her UB teams can play and beat all but the very top of top of women's basketball in the country, and that was because of size and depth but not coaching.

I think her move to Syracuse was influenced by non-basketball issues, that she has spoken about openly over the years, that if they were not an issue she may not have gone to Syracuse.  She has been at a Power 5 school and it ended poorly for her.  The fact that she is an alum of Syracuse may get her an extra year on the win or fired path, but nothing more.  She clearly knew that she could have stayed at UB for as long as she wanted to coach.  As long as she was able to reach the NCAA or the WNIT twice over 5 year time frames.

She should be thanked publicly and privately for what she has done at UB.  From that first game at Canisius I never would have thought her last game would have been at Tennessee in the NCAA tournament.

I wish her nothing but good luck at Syracuse, except if and when they play UB.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, bull_trojan said:

Cherie Cordoba left us for a lateral role at a P5, would presumably do so again if she can win a MAC or two.

Jumping up and down for Sharkey. Sharkey has been at UB since 2010, played with or coached with Kourtney Brown, Loesing, Dillard, Fair. She could keep us winning and represents the best chance for us to retain a successful coach.

Duke could get any coach to replace K, they are staying in house. Cuse could get almost anyone to coach their women, they reached out for an alum who bleeds orange. We should to do the same.

As a lateral move Cordoba could go over to Syracuse and be "back with Jack" at the higher pay rate. Move back to UB is upward for responsibility and perhaps downard for salary... setting her up for her next jump. 

As far as Sharkey.... To me she's been in the background so I don't know much about her as a coach. She was a great player (who also got screwed of MAC POTY if I recall correctly). As much of a leader there as anyone we have ever had. I'm a bit torn between the "bleed blue", and going after someone who is moving up and looking to make a mark. 

The opportunity to use this Gif more often also comes into play....aaabd2f8806b8702a5f485ad2bef3c50.gif

16 hours ago, bull_trojan said:

All respect to Sharkey, but she hasn’t been a head coach nor has she been anywhere else. She hasn’t shown she can do anything other than be an alum. I’d think we can attract a more qualified candidate. 

2 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

All respect to Sharkey, but she hasn’t been a head coach nor has she been anywhere else. She hasn’t shown she can do anything other than be an alum. I’d think we can attract a more qualified candidate. 

Disagree. She has played here and was a very good player for us, This is her 7th year coaching and been here for all our great years and has experienced a ton of tense and tough games. She knows about UB culture and deserves a shot. What is considered a more qualified candidate?? Still will be interesting to see what Alnutt will be looking for in a new coach and what will happen with our roster which is still be to determined. Go Bulls!!!!

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Someone with actual head coaching experience. Someone in charge of a staff. X’s and O’s. Game and roster management. Roots in recruiting. 

I understand the information but that does not translate into a successful coach. There are assistants all over the landscape that deserve a shot at running a team. There are head coaches all over that were fired from jobs and continue to be recycled back. Again that does not mean they would be bad hires but for every fired head coach there are assistants that are deserving of a chance. Recruiting is very subjective because it is still an unknown if a player is going to be a truly productive player. If you hit on players you are a genius and if you don’t hit on players and have success you can end up fired or not being a good recruiter in the eyes of many. Go Bulls!!!!

11 minutes ago, John said:

I understand the information but that does not translate into a successful coach. There are assistants all over the landscape that deserve a shot at running a team. There are head coaches all over that were fired from jobs and continue to be recycled back. Again that does not mean they would be bad hires but for every fired head coach there are assistants that are deserving of a chance. Recruiting is very subjective because it is still an unknown if a player is going to be a truly productive player. If you hit on players you are a genius and if you don’t hit on players and have success you can end up fired or not being a good recruiter in the eyes of many. Go Bulls!!!!

Agree. However, this is a hire Alnutt cannot get wrong. Are you willing to entrust a program at its peak to a newbie? 

8 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I wouldn't call Whitesell a newbie. He also had a much better roster at the start than I would expect for the new UB WBB coach.

I'm referring to Oats. Sure he was a HS coach, but high school to D1 is a huge jump.