Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

FLJ Status/Updates

3 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Agree. However, this is a hire Alnutt cannot get wrong. Are you willing to entrust a program at its peak to a newbie? 

None of us really know how any coaching change will work out. There are so many factors involved in whether a team is going to have a great year. Our program has been at a great level but to say we will continue when we lose our coach  and who knows how many players will be the question marks. That’s what is so great and exciting along with having some eternal optimism that our team will continue to be one of the best in conference. We will only know if Alnutt gets it right or wrong based on our results next year. Again it will be interesting to see how Coach Jack can handle a what looks like a total rebuilt if the seven current players on Syracuse leave and how she can recruit good quality players and pretty much starting from scratch with the current culture and atmosphere at Syracuse. Go Bulls!!!

Alnutt with what could be a career defining decision to make for the new women's basketball coach. Incomplete grade for football coach, but a very poor start. I won't say anything about men's basketball, but at minimum they have underachieved. Who ever it is will have gigantic shoes to fill.

19 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

She built it.  I guess she finds no shame in tearing it down.

Shame is pretty harsh word especially in this case. At mid major level if a coach has been very successful usually a job in a higher conference will come calling and usually at a very high rate of pay. That is the nature of college basketball in today’s world. And as the case if a coach takes another job and does not succeed in a few years and gets fired there always seems to be another job available.

10 minutes ago, John said:

Shame is pretty harsh word especially in this case. At mid major level if a coach has been very successful usually a job in a higher conference will come calling and usually at a very high rate of pay. That is the nature of college basketball in today’s world. And as the case if a coach takes another job and does not succeed in a few years and gets fired there always seems to be another job available.

Sorry John, I should have added context.  I have no qualms with her moving on up.  She has more than earned it.  The tearing down I refer to is the poaching of our roster.

6 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Sorry John, I should have added context.  I have no qualms with her moving on up.  She has more than earned it.  The tearing down I refer to is the poaching of our roster.

"Our roster??" Players come for the staff, right? 

Fair to Syracuse makes a ton of sense for various reasons, but I wonder if she can set her sights higher.  While I think Coach Jack will turn Syracuse basketball around, it's probably not an immediate fix from a team that floundered this year.  I won't pretend to know much about women's basketball transfer portal, but Fair is a 23+ ppg scorer and honorable mention All-American.  She is a legitimate superstar and surely one of the biggest names in the portal, nationwide.  I have to wonder if bigger name schools than Syracuse (in a women's basketball context) are chomping at the bit to start talking to her.

2 minutes ago, UBlearns said:

Fair to Syracuse makes a ton of sense for various reasons, but I wonder if she can set her sights higher.  While I think Coach Jack will turn Syracuse basketball around, it's probably not an immediate fix from a team that floundered this year.  I won't pretend to know much about women's basketball transfer portal, but Fair is a 23+ ppg scorer and honorable mention All-American.  She is a legitimate superstar and surely one of the biggest names in the portal, nationwide.  I have to wonder if bigger name schools than Syracuse (in a women's basketball context) are chomping at the bit to start talking to her.

I'd fall over if she didn't follow her Coach. The Skogman news was a big surprise. Fair not going to Syracuse would be something beyond my scope of thoughts.

18 minutes ago, Chet said:

"Our roster??" Players come for the staff, right? 

The state of college athletics has changed dramatically over the I don’t know how many years. Some will say a sorry state and some will probably say an exciting time. I would venture to say if you would get honest answers out of  athletes on why they went to one college or other  I would think some would say the coach or the institution among other factors. But what the transfer portal has done is change the atmosphere and culture of college sports. it seems like the education has taken a back seat to all decisions because a degree they can get from any school. Right or wrong this is the state of sports where money and success are the primary reasons and as they say “Katie bar the door” where common sense and reasonable thinking are not in the equation.

Once Felisha was rumored to be leaving UB i immediately assumed Fair and some others would either follow FLJ or leave to go somewhere else.  So this isn’t surprising at all, but it still stinks. College sports right now is a tough follow because anyone you like, ends up leaving. 

Womens hoops will be in a total rebuild.  It was fun for a few years there. 

2 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Can someone find the answer to this question…are players allowed one free transfer before they have to sit out? Or is it transfer all you want?

The one-time transfer rule allows athletes to transfer to a different school one time during their career and play immediately without getting permission from their coach or school. Previously, athletes had to get permission from their current school and then sit out a year as a penalty for transferring.

Can someone find the answer to this question…are players allowed one free transfer before they have to sit out? Or is it transfer all you want?

I think the sitting out is over, at least for the time being. I’m pretty sure it’s immediate eligibility 

Just now, skrabukes said:

The one-time transfer rule allows athletes to transfer to a different school one time during their career and play immediately without getting permission from their coach or school. Previously, athletes had to get permission from their current school and then sit out a year as a penalty for transferring.

Correct. So the current rule is that you get one “get out of jail free card”? Then every transfer after that you must sit out

Correct. So the current rule is that you get one “get out of jail free card”? Then every transfer after that you must sit out

As far as I know, but there don't seem to be any rules that are ever followed or enforced. As long as $$ is made, those in charge are happy at the NCAA. 

• Like 2