Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

FLJ Status/Updates

5 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Whoever takes over will have no one on the roster. This is a bloodbath. I know it’s barely been a week since FLJ left but Alnutt is moving very slow, considering WE ALL KNEW FLG was gone.

Barely a week? It was just over 48 hours since the announcement.  Did he know Coach Jack was leaving? Yes. But how do you start looking for a replacement when she still has the job?  IF you start looking while she is your coach she could argue that she was fired and then ask for UB to pay her her buyout, instead of Syracuse paying a buyout to UB.  I am all in favor of lawsuits, and full employment for attorneys, but only when necessary.

Next weekend is the biggest coaching market in Minneapolis.  Many conversations will take place and people hired.

4 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Barely a week? It was just over 48 hours since the announcement.  Did he know Coach Jack was leaving? Yes. But how do you start looking for a replacement when she still has the job?  IF you start looking while she is your coach she could argue that she was fired and then ask for UB to pay her her buyout, instead of Syracuse paying a buyout to UB.  I am all in favor of lawsuits, and full employment for attorneys, but only when necessary.

Next weekend is the biggest coaching market in Minneapolis.  Many conversations will take place and people hired.

That is not what I’m saying. Other than a social media post has he said anything publicly to give the program, players and fans some comfort? I’m not aware of any such comments. Where’s the leadership? Even a basic statement giving an indication on what they are looking for. Instead nothing and the ship has sunk. The minute FLJ bolted calls should’ve been made to potential candidates or their agents. Again goes back to him as an AD having a list that only he knows about ready to go. Especially when we knew this would be the outcome. Gotta move quickly or get left behind. Maybe he is doing this. But some acknowledgment of what is happening would be nice.

36 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

… some acknowledgment of what is happening would be nice.

His competition would like that too.  Someone pointed out the social media pictures of celebrations in the locker room, with the game plan hanging on the wall.  For me, this is the same situation… anxious fans want to know, but it’s probably for the best that we don’t. 

22 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

His competition would like that too.  Someone pointed out the social media pictures of celebrations in the locker room, with the game plan hanging on the wall.  For me, this is the same situation… anxious fans want to know, but it’s probably for the best that we don’t. 

Agree. I’m not saying give out the playbook. But a basic statement acknowledging “We are aware that we are entering a transitional period in our program’s history bla bla bla, the administration is working diligently to keep UB basketball at the elite level we’ve come to expect. We ask for patience from our fans and we ask that our student athletes give us the time to present them a coach that will lead them to future success.”  IDK something like that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rma said:

There was a press conference on Sunday. It’s on the WGRZ Facebook page. 

Thanks for the update as not everyone is on facebook. Just wish we would all try and research all the comings and goings and not critzise but that is the world we live in now where we sometimes only give our opinions without knowing all the facts. The world of social media.

I found this online, looks like Wilson has joined the group too. Hopefully we can get a coach in place soon to fill some of these gaps. I’m pretty shocked that Lexi McNabb hasn’t requested a release. She may have, but it’s not public I guess:

image.thumb.png.b74ca3384ab8c15d45c11cf95fe1f770.png

I didn’t realize Adeyeye had eligibility left. Covid year I guess. 

11 minutes ago, rma said:

McEvans not on that list (yet) is good to see.

Hopefully she and Camp can be our new core. Jordan could step up, Valenti-Paea was well thought of our or HS as was Laney Bone. We really need to get someone on board. I certainly hope interviews are underway.

Edited by UBinMD

12 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

It's nice that UB is now a minor league team for the "big boys"

I am personally shocked that 2 players would follow the coach that recruited/mentored them 90min away to play for a higher profile team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeseph said:

I am personally shocked that 2 players would follow the coach that recruited/mentored them 90min away to play for a higher profile team.

Osborn Mabry, Gall, (soon to be) Skogman, McDuffie,  Washington and more don't equal that statement.  Forever a bull.

On 3/30/2022 at 8:30 PM, UBinMD said:

Hopefully she and Camp can be our new core. Jordan could step up, Valenti-Paea was well thought of our or HS as was Laney Bone. We really need to get someone on board. I certainly hope interviews are underway.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the coach leaving a foregone conclusion for months in advance?  Couldn't have the AD recruited a replacement ahead of time and then have a press conference later that day (or the next day) announcing the replacement of the coach?  The coaching change was formally announced a week ago.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UB92 said:

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the coach leaving a foregone conclusion for months in advance?  Couldn't have the AD recruited a replacement ahead of time and then have a press conference later that day (or the next day) announcing the replacement of the coach?  The coaching change was formally announced a week ago.

No.  That could be interpreted as a firing, which would mean that UB would have to pay Coach Jack, rather Syracuse paying UB.  Also what would happen if you had hired that person and then Coach Jack would have turned down the job or was not offered the job?

As I figured in the past, none of these people actually truly care about UB. The players don't even wait to see who the next coach was before leaving town. Much like administrators who "bleed blue", coaches and players, it's all just a job and when something a little "better" comes along, they skip town immediately. Additionally, if a little adversity comes their way, they're gone also, at least with regard to the players. 

2 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

As I figured in the past, none of these people actually truly care about UB. The players don't even wait to see who the next coach was before leaving town. Much like administrators who "bleed blue", coaches and players, it's all just a job and when something a little "better" comes along, they skip town immediately. Additionally, if a little adversity comes their way, they're gone also, at least with regard to the players. 

Alumni are really the only group that truly cares. Some former players fall into that category but not all. Our Blue Collar team, who we all love, are really more Nate’s guys that UB guys in all honesty. It’s nice they still kinda rep us. If you look around big time college sports, it’s the fanbases that have the traditions, the tailgating, the chants, songs, whatever it is. Unfortunately we are really only 2 generations into any of that so we don’t have any. This is evident at football and basketball. That why we have a DJ, they are trying to entertain the players more than the fans. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1