Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

FLJ Status/Updates

8 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

No.  That could be interpreted as a firing, which would mean that UB would have to pay Coach Jack, rather Syracuse paying UB.  Also what would happen if you had hired that person and then Coach Jack would have turned down the job or was not offered the job?

You know EXACTLY what I meant.  Why answer it like you did?  

Behind the scenes, obviously.  Conversations through intermediaries.    Conversations with individuals on the staff. Something that allowed UB to turn this around quicker.  

12 hours ago, UB92 said:

Behind the scenes, obviously.  Conversations through intermediaries.    Conversations with individuals on the staff. Something that allowed UB to turn this around quicker.  

Just bc we knew it was a strong possibility doesn’t mean you could do much about it. UB offered Jack a significant raise to stay. Imagine her reaction if she found out UB was negotiating behind her back bc we thought she *MAY* leave? The best the admin could do was get a list together. And where we are in the off-season I’m sure many of those on the UB list are also exploring all the other jobs open too. And obviously we don’t get first pick. That said I’d expect something to shake out pretty soon. 

• Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 12:03 AM, UB92 said:

I do not know, may be law school and two semesters of contracts played a role in the answer.  Talking to staff would seem like a possible palace coup.

Much like presidents have lists for replacements for high profile positions, ADs have similar lists, that they cannot do anything with until there is a actual job to fill.

42 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

I do not know, may be law school and two semesters of contracts played a role in the answer.  Talking to staff would seem like a possible palace coup.

Much like presidents have lists for replacements for high profile positions, ADs have similar lists, that they cannot do anything with until there is a actual job to fill.

He wouldn't talk to the staff directly, but you know this.  He would talk to someone who would then talk to that person.   Am I really explaining to you how the world works?

You're not that naïve to think this doesn't happen in all walks of life, especially in college athletics.

If you are AD and only have a speculative "list" with no additional details, you aren't doing your job (especially in a situation like this where EVERYONE could see where this was headed months ago).

43 minutes ago, UB92 said:

He wouldn't talk to the staff directly, but you know this.  He would talk to someone who would then talk to that person.   Am I really explaining to you how the world works?

You're not that naïve to think this doesn't happen in all walks of life, especially in college athletics.

If you are AD and only have a speculative "list" with no additional details, you aren't doing your job (especially in a situation like this where EVERYONE could see where this was headed months ago).

And everything like hat leaks.  You cannot talk to someone about replacing a person under contract until that person has left or has been told mid-season that they will not be back the next year, as with Coach CIrbus in 2000.

51 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

And everything like hat leaks.  You cannot talk to someone about replacing a person under contract until that person has left or has been told mid-season that they will not be back the next year, as with Coach CIrbus in 2000.

Do you think there were no talks between FLJ and Syracuse until after Vonn Read was told he would not be retained?

59 minutes ago, rma said:

Do you think there were no talks between FLJ and Syracuse until after Vonn Read was told he would not be retained?

I think you have both made your point. Let’s move on and hope interviews are taking place and we bring in a solid coach who can go out and fill our now depleted roster and at least field a competitive team next year. Go Bulls!!

13 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I think you have both made your point. Let’s move on and hope interviews are taking place and we bring in a solid coach who can go out and fill our now depleted roster and at least field a competitive team next year. Go Bulls!!

Let's hope. I'd wager that UB has the most depleted pair of teams in the NCAA (combined). I know there are several teams with people in the portal (LSU men's being a major one), but between the men and women, they each have what, 1 starter left combined? Camp is the last player standing as of now. Add a rehabbing McEvans as #2, a currently in the portal Skogman, and a team without a coach.

5 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Let's hope. I'd wager that UB has the most depleted pair of teams in the NCAA (combined). I know there are several teams with people in the portal (LSU men's being a major one), but between the men and women, they each have what, 1 starter left combined? Camp is the last player standing as of now. Add a rehabbing McEvans as #2, a currently in the portal Skogman, and a team without a coach.

If we really look closely at the portal which we really do not have the time or total interest there are teams all over the country that the portal has depleted them or that have their top players on a team that are probably gone.We just see it from our UB standpoint. Look at some of the MAC teams and even some of the MAAC teams that will lose their top players. 

13 minutes ago, John said:

If we really look closely at the portal which we really do not have the time or total interest there are teams all over the country that the portal has depleted them or that have their top players on a team that are probably gone.We just see it from our UB standpoint. Look at some of the MAC teams and even some of the MAAC teams that will lose their top players. 

Many, yes, but between graduation of the big 3 and maceo, skogman (portal), summer, fair, ade, christie, woolley, wilson. It's gotta be 90%+ of total scoring gone. That's a LOT to replace. Yes, ohio loses their big guns too, so maybe everyone is just losing 75% of scoring every year, who knows. Ours just seems to be a much higher amount, on both sides of the ball.

17 hours ago, rma said:

None.  Syracuse had to ask for permission to to talk to Coach Jack or any other coach under contract.  Syracuse was not going to ask for permission during the season.  There was probably an email sent within hours of the Tennessee game being over.

16 hours ago, UBinMD said:

And now, yes.

18 hours ago, skrabukes said:

I heard that Murray State lost nearly every good player from this years #7 seed team.  They all bolted for the portal right after elimination in part due to a coaching change.  

In this environment of college athletics, Coach's have to re-recruit their players every offseason.  It's nuts.

53 minutes ago, zigo230 said:

I heard that Murray State lost nearly every good player from this years #7 seed team.  They all bolted for the portal right after elimination in part due to a coaching change.  

In this environment of college athletics, Coach's have to re-recruit their players every offseason.  It's nuts.

Nuts is not the only word. Not sure how long this will continue. We will probably never get all the facts about transfers but it would be interesting in years from now how this all played out for all these players and whether anyone will change their future decisions.  I am only speaking for my family and many of our friends that have followed and supported many sports over our lifetime that we have reached our limit and will not be spending our money on sports in all forms and will be selective in supporting sports in general. I believe many will continue to enjoy sports as entertainment and as a outlet to get away from everyday life problems and if that is what makes you happy go for it no matter what the cost.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zigo230 said:

Well, we don't have a coach and players have already left. Can't re recruit people who are already gone.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

None.  Syracuse had to ask for permission to to talk to Coach Jack or any other coach under contract. 

Sadly not everyone has honor. I'm still bitter about getting burned on one of these deals (Karma handled it tho).

No real remedy for us middies when the big dogs tamper, maybe you negotiate a larger buyout, but pretty much it's best to move on and focus on your new coach than look like you're fighting over sour grapes.

4 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

None.  Syracuse had to ask for permission to to talk to Coach Jack or any other coach under contract.  Syracuse was not going to ask for permission during the season.  There was probably an email sent within hours of the Tennessee game being over.

I appreciate your black and white view, I really do. But come on we live in the real world that is gray. It could be something as simple as a joke the night she was inducted into their HOF. A whisper, “You would look great on the sidelines there.” A wink wink nod nod type of banter. A back room convo between agents. Perfect example is Holloway, dude was known to become the next Seton Hall coach two seconds after the Hall lost.  During their entire run the world knew he was gone. These convos happen. College athletics is a dirty corrupt business. Some would even say, if you ain’t cheating, you ain’t trying and if you ain’t trying, you ain’t winning. 

• Like 2

Things that happened before FLJ was hired at SU:

• Quentin Hillsman was no longer the SU WBB coach
  • FLJ expressed interest in the position
  • SU stuck a one year band-aid (Vonn Read) on the problem
  • FLJ's uniform was put in the SU rafters
  • FLJ was offered (but appears to have declined) a contract extension and/or raise at UB during the MAC tournament

It's possible, but highly unlikely, that the first communication between FLJ and SU about the coaching position was after the UB season was over.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I appreciate your black and white view, I really do. But come on we live in the real world that is gray. It could be something as simple as a joke the night she was inducted into their HOF. A whisper, “You would look great on the sidelines there.” A wink wink nod nod type of banter. A back room convo between agents. Perfect example is Holloway, dude was known to become the next Seton Hall coach two seconds after the Hall lost.  During their entire run the world knew he was gone. These convos happen. College athletics is a dirty corrupt business. Some would even say, if you ain’t cheating, you ain’t trying and if you ain’t trying, you ain’t winning. 

If I had a dollar every time I heard a sports person say “it is a business “ when signing a contract I would be close to being a millionaire. College sports is now the same as pro sports in many aspects. It is all about the small amount of college players that turn pro and become millionaires along with the coaches and college administrators and of course the media conglomerates while the fans are left paying hundreds and thousands of dollars to watch sporting events. 

I would have liked a quicker resolution.

That said if I talked to the players and they said they would follow FLJ, then I would hold off on hiring anyone, to protect them from the inevitable "she couldn't keep the roster"

as AD I'd take the arrows, "we wanted to do a thorough nationwide search and unfortunately some student athletes transferred during the process, however after that search I'm confident that Assistant Coach X will rebuild."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

Final Four hosts tons of coaches and admins to network and meet. 

Which to my previous point is the perfect place to plant seeds. Inquire about future potential coaches. In a hypothetical off the record manner. Meet agents and assistant coaches. And gauge whether that assistant might one day want to be a head man or woman. Hmm…let’s call it “legal tampering”.