Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

FLJ Status/Updates

She must be very confident in her recruiting. Bringing over 3 MAC players (maybe a 4th depending on Fair’s decision). At least they know her style and can help at practice. We will see how it goes on the court. I’m sure Wooley will be fine. 

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

She must be very confident in her recruiting. Bringing over 3 MAC players (maybe a 4th depending on Fair’s decision). At least they know her style and can help at practice. We will see how it goes on the court. I’m sure Wooley will be fine. 

Glad to see UB 2.0 competing in orange next year. Mcevans,  woolley, Wilson. Who's next?

2 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Glad to see UB 2.0 competing in orange next year. Mcevans,  woolley, Wilson. Who's next?

Sort of surprised we have not heard about McNabb going to Syracuse with Coach Jack instead of staying at UB!! I I think Coach Jack only had seven players left from the Syracuse team. Still will be interesting how these former MAC coaches and players can adapt to a better overall ACC conference.

17 minutes ago, John said:

Sort of surprised we have not heard about McNabb going to Syracuse with Coach Jack instead of staying at UB!! I I think Coach Jack only had seven players left from the Syracuse team. Still will be interesting how these former MAC coaches and players can adapt to a better overall ACC conference.

Coach Burke has said she spoke to Lexi, hopefully she can sell her on the vision she has for UB and that she could become a key cog to this transformation.

8 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Coach Burke has said she spoke to Lexi, hopefully she can sell her on the vision she has for UB and that she could become a key cog to this transformation.

Thanks for the update. Still no rumors or any information on who Coach Burke is considering for her assistant coaches?? Go Bulls!!!

43 minutes ago, John said:

Thanks for the update. Still no rumors or any information on who Coach Burke is considering for her assistant coaches?? Go Bulls!!!

Candyce Wheeler is a rumor (if I’m officially the person starting it). Wheeler was with Burke for the press conference and appears to be in a photo that implies she was calling recruits.

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, rma said:

To the surprise of exactly nobody, Lexi McNabb is going to Syracuse.

Waited until the last minute. I would say I’m shocked, but I’m not an idiot. Let’s go Coach Burke. If we dance this year, I’ll be a very happy man!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Waited until the last minute. I would say I’m shocked, but I’m not an idiot. Let’s go Coach Burke. If we dance this year, I’ll be a very happy man!

Glad to see that 5 UB players are now in orange, along with nearly the whole staff. So ridiculous. Enjoy.

9 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Glad to see that 5 UB players are now in orange, along with nearly the whole staff. So ridiculous. Enjoy.

The worry about eliminating the transfer rule was that coaches from lower level programs that were successful could leverage their whole teams to come with them to a bigger name if they got a payday. I believe they’d call this a textbook example. Hot garbage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaBulls99 said:

The worry about eliminating the transfer rule was that coaches from lower level programs that were successful could leverage their whole teams to come with them to a bigger name if they got a payday. I believe they’d call this a textbook example. Hot garbage. 

Clearly UB was good enough to be in the ACC last year.... no? 

1 hour ago, Tee4three said:

Its generally not a great sign if a coach has to raid their previous school for all their talent

Womens hoops might be different because its still developing parity but still raises a red flag for me

McNabb was always going to be in orange. Her signing with UB was a wink wink. As soon as FLJs Jersey was in the rafters it was a done deal. She graduated more than 30 years ago. The timing was too perfect. The only reason she didn’t jump last year is that Maceo came to UB and maybe Summer’s swan song.

I do agree that having to bring a MAC team with you isn’t a great sign, but maybe she really feels they are ACC players. Hopefully SU treats her better than Indiana if they aren’t competing for championships in 2 years.

10 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Hopefully SU treats her better than Indiana if they aren’t competing for championships in 2 years.

Agreed. I always got the impression that FLJ would want to go out on her own terms. I wonder what pressure the department will have on her to win. I really hope she doesn't have a bad first few years and abruptly "retires" 😞

25 minutes ago, rma said:

Agreed. I always got the impression that FLJ would want to go out on her own terms. I wonder what pressure the department will have on her to win. I really hope she doesn't have a bad first few years and abruptly "retires" 😞

There is going to be pressure I think. I’m not a SU WBB follower, so I looked back a few years. Barring 2 of the last 3 years with Covid and the shenanigans of the precious coach, the women were in the post season and were pretty successful. I would say in the first 2-3 years a tournament berth with at least a first round win would be a minimum:

21/22 - 11-18 (4-14) none

20/21 - 15-9 (9-7) 2nd round NCAA

19/20 - 16-15 (9-9) none

18/19 - 25-9 (11-5) 2nd round NCAA

17/18 - 22-9 (10-6) 1st round NCAA

16/17 - 22-11 (11-5) 2nd round NCAA

15/16 - 30-8 (13-3) Final 4

14/15 - 22-10 (11-5) 2nd round NCAA

13/14 - 23-10 (10-6) 2nd round NCAA

12/13 - 24-8 (11-5) 1st round

11/12 - 22-15 (6-10) Semi-final WNIT

10/11 - 25-10 (9-6) Quarterfinal WNIT

9/10 - 25-11 (7-9) - Quarterfinal WNIT

8/9 - 17-15 (5-11) - 2nd Round WNIT

14 hours ago, Tee4three said:

Its generally not a great sign if a coach has to raid their previous school for all their talent

Womens hoops might be different because its still developing parity but still raises a red flag for me

Agreed in general, but…

SU do have 3 others transferring in.  And, most of the UB transfers are underclassmen.   It feels more like future talent to me, rather than all their talent.  

34 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Agreed in general, but…

SU do have 3 others transferring in.  And, most of the UB transfers are underclassmen.   It feels more like future talent to me, rather than all their talent.  

Agree. Think (and hope) they will all do well there

13 hours ago, UBinMD said:

McNabb was always going to be in orange. Her signing with UB was a wink wink. As soon as FLJs Jersey was in the rafters it was a done deal. She graduated more than 30 years ago. The timing was too perfect. The only reason she didn’t jump last year is that Maceo came to UB and maybe Summer’s swan song.

I do agree that having to bring a MAC team with you isn’t a great sign, but maybe she really feels they are ACC players. Hopefully SU treats her better than Indiana if they aren’t competing for championships in 2 years.

I do agree. McNabb being recruited by FLJ to UB was the precursor to her then going with FLJ to Syracuse which was probably discussed with FLJ.  As soon as FLJ name went up at Syracuse it was a foregone conclusion. On the positive side we got a coach with tremendous upside with great energy and enthusiasm. Go Bulls!!!

26 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

… hope) they will all do well there

Me too.  I was just sharing the opinion that the team may not need (or expect?) them all to be successful in their first year. 

3 minutes ago, John said:

… As soon as FLJ name went up at Syracuse it was a foregone conclusion….

Personally I don’t think the banner had much to do with the outcome.  Her love of the area/school/program was forged much earlier.  I’d even say it would have been cool for them to raise a banner for the current coach.  

37 minutes ago, John said:

I do agree. McNabb being recruited by FLJ to UB was the precursor to her then going with FLJ to Syracuse which was probably discussed with FLJ.  As soon as FLJ name went up at Syracuse it was a foregone conclusion. On the positive side we got a coach with tremendous upside with great energy and enthusiasm. Go Bulls!!!

I’m very excited about the Coach Burke era. I’m confident we will have a competitive team this year. Onward and upward!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Me too.  I was just sharing the opinion that the team may not need (or expect?) them all to be successful in their first year. 

Personally I don’t think the banner had much to do with the outcome.  Her love of the area/school/program was forged much earlier.  I’d even say it would have been cool for them to raise a banner for the current coach.  

The banner was the final straw for her to go back to Syracuse and it is well deserved.

21 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I’m very excited about the Coach Burke era. I’m confident we will have a competitive team this year. Onward and upward!

Do agree. As the year progresses let’s have the majority of opinions about our UB team with the coaches and players bringing a renewed energy.  Go Bulls!!!

"As soon as FLJs Jersey was in the rafters it was a done deal"

I'd put money on it having been a done deal well before that.  I know, it's tampering, it's illegal, it's blah, blah, blah...

The only way FLJ was possibly staying at UB, and McNabb was ever going to wear a UB uniform, was if the interim Coach at Cuse somehow had a huge year this past season.  Even that may not have stopped what was inevitable.

Edited by ChubbyHubby
  • Like 1

Her last name is McNabb…enough said there. Realistic this was as sure fire as Jack bolting for Cuse. McNabb committed to coach Jack not UB. Maybe it took slightly longer bc McNabb was having the when to transfer convo. Meaning she watched the off season play out and thought I can de-commit now or play a season at UB then transfer. Either way imo she wasn’t long for UB once coach Jack hit the thruway.

I’m kinda excited that coach Burke gets a clean fresh start from the jump. Her program now.

• Like 1