Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

JUCO Recruits on Campus

McBulls

Cadwell just committed.

I believe he's doing his freshman year at Juco then will be eligible right away for his last 3.  Listed as a wing most places (6'5") but the highlights I saw of him looked like he was the primary ball handler for his high school team. Also looked like the best pure shooter we've had in recent classes which will be important with Massinburg and Harris graduating.

Edited by trueblue32

1 hour ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Loving all the guard and wing talent pouring in. 

The only thing that concerns me is our lack of depth at the 4 and 5 position after McRae and Perkins are gone after this year. Nonetheless, I have faith in Oats and the rest of the coaches to bring in great talent for the future. 

I’ve been told by the coaching staff to watch for Fagan. He’s honestly projected to do big things. Might we see a step up for Brock too? Eapically since the MAC lost some of its forward talent. 

7 hours ago, Kevin said:

I’ve been told by the coaching staff to watch for Fagan. He’s honestly projected to do big things. Might we see a step up for Brock too? Eapically since the MAC lost some of its forward talent. 

It seems clear that Fagan is going to give UB minutes down low this year.  Maybe he plays the Smart role and/or compliments McRae and Bertram.  Mid-range, likely not alot for Fagan, but he will shoot the 3 and, it seems, can finish at the rim.   I think Fagan will be more of a producer on the offensive side than Smart, McRae or Bertram, especially in transition.   Let's see what happens on the defensive side of the ball for Fagan.

I looked through Cadwell's timeline on Twitter.  Ran 5:28 for the mile.  I don't know about his basketball talent yet, but I suspect he won't get tired running up and down the floor!

9 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Loving all the guard and wing talent pouring in. 

The only thing that concerns me is our lack of depth at the 4 and 5 position after McRae and Perkins are gone after this year. Nonetheless, I have faith in Oats and the rest of the coaches to bring in great talent for the future. 

I feel like the Arizona game may have been a turning point where we're now committing to a 4 out-1 in approach.  Talented big men are harder to find than talented guards at our level and it seems like our best shot at competing with top teams is taking their big men out of the game.  Jeremy Harris dominated the #1 pick because he couldn't handle him on the perimeter.  Next year we could go with a Kentucky-esque platoon system, something like:

Jordan | Segu

Johnson | Cadwell

Graves | Grant

Williams | Miller-Moore

Allen | Fagan

A lot of length, athleticism and talent in that lineup.

On another note:

In the past Hodgson has tweeted these before an announcement, it's probably about Cadwell who's from Texas, but we also still have an offer out to another JUCO G from Texas, Tajzmel Sherman with offers from SMU and ECU among others.

While I love the fact that we now have 5 guys coming into the program next season there’s something that  worries me:

We still don’t have a true freshman signed as of yet. All incoming recruits are either transfers with one year of eligibility remaining (Grant and Johnson) or they are jucos with 3 years left (Miller-Moore, Allen and Caldwell). This worries me bc maybe true freshman recruits are worried Oats will leave after a another good year. So maybe coach is recruiting to leave the pantry stocked in case he does depart. Or maybe this is currently the best we can get.

While I love the recruits there hasn’t been that one gem like a Williams or Segu just yet. We lost out on Andrew for whatever reason. Just some food for thought.

Also...can we get an athletic big

I don't hate that it's an all JUCO class, the mid-majors that have sustained success have formed pipelines of talent from unusual talent pools, i.e. Saint Mary's with Australia, Gonzaga with international kids in general, Nevada now with transfers.  If ours ends up being the JUCO talent pool because of Hodgson's connections I think that only increases our staying power if we continue to build a strong reputation with JUCO kids.  I don't think it's high school kids not wanting to come here as much as it's not where we're mainly recruiting.  It also might just be a strategy for this year because JUCO kids will come in more ready to play from the jump than true freshmen which is important given all the minutes we'll be losing after this year.

40 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

I don't hate that it's an all JUCO class, the mid-majors that have sustained success have formed pipelines of talent from unusual talent pools, i.e. Saint Mary's with Australia, Gonzaga with international kids in general, Nevada now with transfers.  If ours ends up being the JUCO talent pool because of Hodgson's connections I think that only increases our staying power if we continue to build a strong reputation with JUCO kids.  I don't think it's high school kids not wanting to come here as much as it's not where we're mainly recruiting.  It also might just be a strategy for this year because JUCO kids will come in more ready to play from the jump than true freshmen which is important given all the minutes we'll be losing after this year.

I agree entirely.  It was probably a strategy for this season. And next season with our scholarships we may go true freshman oriented. Which if that’s the case is smart. Bottom line is get talent however and where ever right. In Oats we trust and I can’t wait to get this season going. 

5 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

I feel like the Arizona game may have been a turning point where we're now committing to a 4 out-1 in approach.  Talented big men are harder to find than talented guards at our level and it seems like our best shot at competing with top teams is taking their big men out of the game.  Jeremy Harris dominated the #1 pick because he couldn't handle him on the perimeter.  Next year we could go with a Kentucky-esque platoon system, something like:

Jordan | Segu

Johnson | Cadwell

Graves | Grant

Williams | Miller-Moore

Allen | Fagan

A lot of length, athleticism and talent in that lineup.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Guys like Perkins who can play the quick game but have size and bulk are really really difficult to come by at the mid-major level. In retrospect his commitment was absolutely huge for us because of his versatility for a big. Sacrificing some bulk for some speed and athleticism is going to be a necessity if we want to keep playing the way we do, unless we stumble across another Perkins-esque recruiting coup.

I hate imagining a team without Massinburg, Perkins, Harris and Caruthers but there is so much potential there for next year. I can't tell you how excited I am to see Williams in a ball-handler type # 4 role like Harris took against Arizona. This year's squad's biggest limitation is there's only so many minutes to distribute to the guys who deserve it.