Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Senior Night / NIU week

121Merrimac

Our offensive play calling was sad and vanilla the last 3 drives. We were playing not to lose by the looks. Need to beat Ball St. We hear about Coach Mo’s recruiting prowess so we need to see that in action on 12/16. Also, if KVT is coming back, we may lose some QBs to the portal.

Edited by UBinMD

That last drive before the 55 yd FG, the Bulls offense didn’t seem to want to get in the endzone for the W. i dunno. it goes to show what coach thought of the QB and passing game today. that it was too risky to throw.   The running game with McDuffie/Cook is clearly the best unit but NIU wasn’t going to allow us to run it in on that drive.

1 hour ago, Jeseph said:

Pretty sick of losing to NIU

I just watched the game on my DVR since I was busy last night. I really thought this UB program was past these kind of clown show games. But we find ourselves 20 years in the past again. I blame Mo as much as Matt Myers for playing so scared. We were so lucky the wind carried that 55yd FG back to the middle. But I said this year was a mulligan so let's hope we rebound next year. It's not like Lance Leipold didn't have his share of inexplicable losses.

2 hours ago, promotherobot said:

I just watched the game on my DVR since I was busy last night. I really thought this UB program was past these kind of clown show games. But we find ourselves 20 years in the past again. I blame Mo as much as Matt Myers for playing so scared. We were so lucky the wind carried that 55yd FG back to the middle. But I said this year was a mulligan so let's hope we rebound next year. It's not like Lance Leipold didn't have his share of inexplicable losses.

In all of the excitement of getting a coach who coached in the NFL (and was at Michigan for a short while), one of the things lacking on his resume was head coaching experience(or even being a coordinator...I am not counting his brief time at Michigan).  

I wonder how this lack of coaching experience is playing out/impacting performance.  Clearly his calling card was recruiting (at least early), so I think he needs to be judged (early) on how well he does in recruiting.   Leipold had 10+ years of being a head coach or coordinator before his time at UB.  Quinn had 20+ years.

42 minutes ago, UB92 said:

In all of the excitement of getting a coach who coached in the NFL (and was at Michigan for a short while), one of the things lacking on his resume was head coaching experience(or even being a coordinator...I am not counting his brief time at Michigan).  

I wonder how this lack of coaching experience is playing out/impacting performance.  Clearly his calling card was recruiting (at least early), so I think he needs to be judged (early) on how well he does in recruiting.   Leipold had 10+ years of being a head coach or coordinator before his time at UB.  Quinn had 20+ years.

I think right now he's tending to be a players coach and giving them the opportunity to be successful because he believes in them and sees them succeed in practice. I think that will get tempered over the next couple of seasons. I also think he and the coordinators may be coaching to how they want it to work versus what the current talent can provide (the only way I can rationalize how we play in the secondary predominately because there is no other explanation). I think if he can get in the talent and show his recruiting prowess, this could be a small dip that parlays to continued growth in the program. We will see how next season looks. As I have said, I'm very interested in what happens on 12/16. Most recently, 2 big potential recruiting losses and no word on new targets. We will see...