Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

St Bona

squire17

I’m watching Bona against Clemson. Kenpom has Bona winning this by a point or two. I don’t buy it. Bonnie’s are decent defensively, but they are paper tigers offensively. Clemson is wiping the floor with them so far. I expect the Bulls to win in Olean, unless they rely on suspect three point shooting - in which case they could lose to a vastly overrated St Bona.

7 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Have I got a hot tip for the stock market? Nooooooooi

Actually good they won.  Want them to be ranked as high as possible.  They do have a short bench too.  Game with them may come down to who has a better night, their big 3 or ours.  Lofton was very good down the stretch.

• Like 1

They’re a good team. I feel they’re not playing up to their potential yet. All their games have been close and not dominant by any means. Will be interesting to see if they can play even better. Feel we can definitely beat them however. They have a very short bench as well. 

• Like 1

All the close games they are playing makes it seem like they are not too good. But I have seen this type of situation play out a lot where teams just continue to eek out wins and then they go one to be top programs.  

Clearly they are better than they have been playing.  The fact they take over the second half just tells me they are capable of playing at a much higher level and that they do it when needed.  

Would be great to take the win over them.  If they keep playing games close they will lose one sooner than later. 

I like the chances. Should be a good game. 

This is the big game remaining on the schedule. 

Bona fan here. 

Due to the fact that our offense sucks, most people will think we aren't deserving of a ranking.

Nonetheless, the D is the reason why we are ranked. It's never going to be pretty. We are like a poor man's UVA. We play a slow place on O and depend on defense to win games. 

Should be a fun game Dec. 4. Regardless of outcome, I think it'll be a quality loss for whoever falls. That makes it a bit more tolerable, right??

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RocChiTown said:

Bona fan here. 

Due to the fact that our offense sucks, most people will think we aren't deserving of a ranking.

Nonetheless, the D is the reason why we are ranked. It's never going to be pretty. We are like a poor man's UVA. We play a slow place on O and depend on defense to win games. 

Should be a fun game Dec. 4. Regardless of outcome, I think it'll be a quality loss for whoever falls. That makes it a bit more tolerable, right??

I think to the casual observer, the Bonnies struggles offensively are hard to overlook but you’re absolutely right.

St. Bonaventure is elite defensively and it’s been that way for over a year. If they can ever find some consistency and avoid some of their cold periods offensively, they could elevate themselves to an even higher level.

9 hours ago, RocChiTown said:

Bona fan here. 

This is a fair take.  Bona's D is absolutely elite, and that's even with Shoon being dinged up.  They're absolutely deserving of their ranking, and another win tonight would be a nice feather in the cap.  Schmidt's a hell of a coach.

1 hour ago, Tee4three said:

Bonas will start to beat up on teams as the season progresses

Right now everyone is fresh and healthy, their style will take its toll on teams when teams aren't as fresh/healthy 

If we try to play our cowboy, 1-on-1 style offense we fall into at times, it will not go well. We need to get back to our defense and rebounding creating offense style. That could get Bona to a place they will be challenged to keep up with. If they can play their set defense, we will struggle.

On 11/20/2021 at 12:14 PM, UBinMD said:

If we try to play our cowboy, 1-on-1 style offense we fall into at times, it will not go well. We need to get back to our defense and rebounding creating offense style. That could get Bona to a place they will be challenged to keep up with. If they can play their set defense, we will struggle.

21 minutes ago, C1ubP1fanaticM7 said:

I, unfortunately, don’t think that our high usage of isolation basketball is going to be conducive for winning basketball games. Especially when our efficiency is middle of the pack. Superb ball movement leading to open shots for Segu, Williams, and Jack would be ideal.

Agreed, was not sharing as a positive 😕

1 hour ago, Jeseph said:

Thank you for this information / perspective and I do hope we move more up on this chart.  I want to make sure I understand what is presented.  Does the usage refer to percent of possessions we use iso, so 13% of say 75 possessions would be 10 possessions a game with iso, compared to 6 for average team?  I appreciate the education so thank you in advance.  Also, curious if you have access to stats for each game and perhaps some history.

Edited by DocCas86

4 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Thank you for this information / perspective and I do hope we move more up on this chart.  I want to make sure I understand what is presented.  Does the usage refer to percent of possessions we use iso, so 13% of say 75 possessions would be 10 possessions a game with iso, compared to 6 for average team?  I appreciate the education so thank you in advance.  Also, curious if you have access to stats for each game and perhaps some history.

You'd have to ask the account owner. i just came across this in my UB TweetDeck columns 😄

4 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Yes and this also says Iso + kickouts.  I really don't have a problem if an extra 4 times per game Williams + Segu are beating their guys off the bounce and kicking it out to Jack/Brewton (plz regain CC form)/Skogman/Segu/Williams.  If a possession ends with any of them taking an open three that's a good possession imo

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Yes and this also says Iso + kickouts.  I really don't have a problem if an extra 4 times per game Williams + Segu are beating their guys off the bounce and kicking it out to Jack/Brewton (plz regain CC form)/Skogman/Segu/Williams.  If a possession ends with any of them taking an open three that's a good possession imo

The key will be pushing the points per play up (i.e. Brewton regaining CC form and perhaps Skogman getting a few more opps)

On 11/19/2021 at 4:54 PM, Bill said:

They’re a good team. I feel they’re not playing up to their potential yet. All their games have been close and not dominant by any means. Will be interesting to see if they can play even better. Feel we can definitely beat them however. They have a very short bench as well. 

Agree and with all of their top guys seniors that helps in tight games. Welch is the one player that has struggled shooting 35% from field and 29% from 3’s and averaging a little over 8 points. Watch out if he gets hot and starts finding the range on his shots. It will be interesting on how we can handle Bona’s constant pressure because they are not going to let up. Go Bulls!!!

Stopping Lofton is the key to beating Bona. He’s not a good shooter from outside. His eFG% is right around where Welch’s and Holmes’ are, but he takes the most shots from the field. His eFG% is actually the lowest on their starting five. But, if you foul him, you pay: he makes his foul shots. I expect Mballa to dominate Ossuniyi. Williams is the most talented individual, and the scrappiest player from either team. This game should be an ugly one. The team that avoids fouls and can stay on the court, while valuing the ball, and making its free throws will win. 

1 hour ago, squire17 said:

Stopping Lofton is the key to beating Bona. He’s not a good shooter from outside. His eFG% is right around where Welch’s and Holmes’ are, but he takes the most shots from the field. His eFG% is actually the lowest on their starting five. But, if you foul him, you pay: he makes his foul shots. I expect Mballa to dominate Ossuniyi. Williams is the most talented individual, and the scrappiest player from either team. This game should be an ugly one. The team that avoids fouls and can stay on the court, while valuing the ball, and making its free throws will win. 

Ok!

8 hours ago, BasketBull said:

Bona is an excellent team with an excellent coach. I’ll be rooting for UB but these programs are clearly in different places at the moment.

There's really no debating this. Unless something drastic happens in the next week or so, UB is going to get embarrassed right out of the gym. 

53 minutes ago, thatdudeBlume said:

There's really no debating this. Unless something drastic happens in the next week or so, UB is going to get embarrassed right out of the gym. 

There's no way that happens. C'mon now, even Canisius was close with them. Bona is excellent,  but let's not downplay that this UB team is good as well. Will they win? We shall see, but getting embarrassed out of the gym is unlikely. A loss to SFA in Cancun shouldn't mark the end of what could and should be a solid season.  Sorry that some expectations by people on here were for this team to be the like the ranked Oats team from a few years ago. Even that team put up a clunker every so often. Way too early to throw this team away. Definitely a LOT of room for improvement,  but a very long season remaining. This team needs to come out a little better instead of frequently coming on far stronger in the 2nd. They'll figure it out, hopefully.