Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Point Park Game (Name Fixed)

BrooklynBull

19 minutes ago, RocChiTown said:

Out of curiosity, why did the games with PP and SJFC come about?

Did contracts with other schools fall apart at the last moment?

I don’t know how they came to be but this was the explanation I received.

I’m paraphrasing… “They’re easy wins at home that don’t negatively impact your metrics at 1/4th of the cost to schedule a bottom tier D1 opponent.”

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

1 minute ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

I’m paraphrasing… “They’re easy wins at home that don’t negatively impact your metrics at 1/4th of the cost to schedule a bottom tier D1 opponent.”

You gotta wonder if covid may have played a part. Maybe it didn’t. This has got to be one of the more underwhelming OOC schedules in a long time. 

2 hours ago, RocChiTown said:

Out of curiosity, why did the games with PP and SJFC come about?

Did contracts with other schools fall apart at the last moment?

There are many reasons for this and we have talked about them before.

1. Teams do not want to come to Alumni Arena and play a roster of eight seniors...I bet you we will have no problem finding opponents next year.

2. Money - It's expensive to bring a D-I team in for a buy game.  Probably talking at least $50k...That's a lot of money.. You want better matchups?? Donate to the Blue and White Fund.  My guess is we are paying Point Park and St. John Fisher no more than 10k each.

3. NET Rankings - These games don't impact the NET.  As mentioned we we have enough Q3/Q4 games on our schedule already with the bottom half of the MAC.  Bringing a team to Alumni Arena would only hurt the resume.

I don't think it would be fair to tell this team that have to play every game on the road because no teams are willing to come here. So unfortunately this is where we are at.  The UC-Irvine game is a really god get.  The others are what they are.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

We could schedule a scrimmage with Colgate but couldn’t get them to come to alumni? Cheap. 

The Point Park and SJFC games had nothing to do with scrimmages played or not played.  You’re only allowed two scrimmages and we played two. One against Medaille and a closed door scrimmage. 

2 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

The Point Park and SJFC games had nothing to do with scrimmages played or not played.  You’re only allowed two scrimmages and we played two. One against Medaille and a closed door scrimmage. 

Not the point I’m making. I’m well aware of the rules. What I’m saying is we scrimmaged preseason against Colgate. I would have rather paid them to come to Alumni for a regular season game. And I’m calling the decision not to…cheap.

8 hours ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

That’s the political answer.  

It’s money.  We don’t have the budget to get other games. 

No money to pay a team to come to down. They are such horrible teams scheduled because better D2 teams required more money than we could pay.  It went down the line to whoever would do it for the least amount of money.  

Home/home deals require us to travel so we couldn’t afford to book those either.  

The Northern Texas, UC Irvine type games are what should replace these games but we can’t afford the additional flights.  

Can’t afford to travel for games or to pay teams to come here. So we are left with these two games on the schedule.  

It is what it is.

1 minute ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Not the point I’m making. I’m well aware of the rules. What I’m saying is we scrimmaged preseason against Colgate. I would have rather paid them to come to Alumni for a regular season game. And I’m calling the decision not to…cheap.

Yeah, we can’t afford to buy them.  But just because a game isn’t scheduled doesn’t mean there isn’t an effort.  

Sometimes you just can’t get open dates to align with teams. 

The important thing is that they played Colgate and got the challenge on the court. 

6 hours ago, BullBoy said:

2. Money - It's expensive to bring a D-I team in for a buy game.  Probably talking at least $50k...That's a lot of money.. You want better matchups?? Donate to the Blue and White Fund.  My guess is we are paying Point Park and St. John Fisher no more than 10k each.

Your numbers are off.  

$85k is the going rate for a D1 guarantee.  

$2k is what we have historically paid D3 teams for a game. 

Nationally D2 teams try to get $5k.  Sometimes you see more—high end of $10k if it is a long trip but we don’t schedule teams that travel. 

7 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Your numbers are off.  

$85k is the going rate for a D1 guarantee.  

$2k is what we have historically paid D3 teams for a game. 

Nationally D2 teams try to get $5k.  Sometimes you see more—high end of $10k if it is a long trip but we don’t schedule teams that travel. 

Ok so how much did we make by going to Michigan? And is that enough to offset some stuff. How much did we get by going to North Texas?

52 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Ok so how much did we make by going to Michigan? And is that enough to offset some stuff. How much did we get by going to North Texas?

I believe it was $95k for Michigan and UNT will return the game so nothing for the trip to Texas. 

One buy game from Michigan doesn’t get us anything.  That is needed to operate the program.  We need a few buy games to have money to play with.  

Just now, DooleyBull06 said:

Which is why I’m in the camp of scheduling at least 2 or 3 games against top P5 teams. On the road. Nothing but upside. Chance for an upset. Good for the metrics. Cash. National broadcast. 

It’s more downside.  

You don’t schedule buy games if you want to build a program and have fans care about your program.  

We turned the corner which is why we are scheduling home/home deals like a respectable program.  

10 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

It’s more downside.  

You don’t schedule buy games if you want to build a program and have fans care about your program.  

We turned the corner which is why we are scheduling home/home deals like a respectable program.  

I'd also be curious if it's difficult for a team like UB to land buy games from major schools.  UB has been a consistently-solid mid-major in recent years, and has shown that it can win road games at major schools.  If you're a top program, would you rather UB come in and give you a close game, or a lower-tier school for an easier win for the same price?  Beating UB at home is - at best - a Q2 win, and more likely Q3, whereas an upset loss hammers your NCAAT seeding.  Is it worth it to play UB when you can play some Kenpom 250th-ranked opponent instead for the same price?

12 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

It’s more downside.  

I’m all about home and home games. I think a perfect balance includes the local rivalry games, 2-3 big road games against top P5 teams. And home games against quality mid major teams. 

5 minutes ago, UBlearns said:

I'd also be curious if it's difficult for a team like UB to land buy games from major schools.  UB has been a consistently-solid mid-major in recent years, and has shown that it can win road games at major schools.  If you're a top program, would you rather UB come in and give you a close game, or a lower-tier school for an easier win for the same price?  Beating UB at home is - at best - a Q2 win, and more likely Q3, whereas an upset loss hammers your NCAAT seeding.  Is it worth it to play UB when you can play some Kenpom 250th-ranked opponent instead for the same price?

The problem isn’t the top teams.  They will buy. But the lower and mid power conference teams won’t.  

So there are few teams to buy and the top teams are long shots and don’t give much upside.