Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Point Park Game (Name Fixed)

BrooklynBull

1 minute ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Playing top teams and losing to those top teams while winning your other games won’t get you in.  

They didn’t sell Five games.  

They played in one event and sold two games. 

if you want to stay a low tier program keep your plan.  

If you want to build a program then you don’t follow your proposal.  

If your fans only care about your team if you're playing Michigan or West Virginia then you don’t have fans. 

We need top-150 teams at Alumni.  

Selling three games to buy three games outs you at a disadvantage on the court with no financial upside.  

The whole point of selling games and giving up an advantage is to get the benefit of the money. 

Small potatoes. 

Monmouth was bought by Syracuse, South Carolina, Memphis and UNC, no? They then agreed to a H&H with Wagner, which helped them the first year and hurt them the following year when they weren't ranked highly. 

I want to upgrade the home slate, but that's not happening without a bigger MBB budget, which isn't happening right now. 

I don't care who the three teams are, so long as they are either Q1/Q2 and you get the buy money back.

Buffalo right now does not have the money to buy a team like Colgate, South Dakota State or Murray State, correct? 

Playing top teams on the road likely means a loss, but that loss won't keep you out. Monmouth knew this, but never used the money to get good home deals. They beat very average clubs that did not secure them Q1/Q2 games that allow you to be in the mix for an at large bid.

Using that money to UPGRADE your schedule would help the program. Use the money from Michigan to buy South Dakota State. You get a top 100 program like you want. 

I think playing thee buys, and 1 H&H (with Bona), and then getting 3 good buys is not a bad schedule. Most low mid majors play 5, 6, 7 road games OOC, which I don't want. Three isn't terrible. 

9 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

This year’s schedule is one that would warrant at large bids with the wins. 

The goal is more home games and more wins. Which is why you don’t sell games.  

There is nothing wrong with the schedule. 

I get your reasoning, and agree that you don't want to sell games, BUT, so long as the budget is what it is, Buffalo likely needs another quality home game on this slate to make a realistic case at an at large.

Get rid of UNT and replace them with Va Tech. Use that $ to get South Dakota State. I am very hesitant with agreeing to H&Hs with other mid majors programs. It's so hard to predict what the program will be the next year. Does the coach leave, the best player, do they graduate their best players and return to mediocrity? 

Top mid majors avoid H&Hs with lower mid majors for that reason. Just prefer to schedule year of instead of predicting what a team will be like the following season.

1 minute ago, dutchcountry7 said:

No. 

They were only bought by Memphis and UNC. 

South Carolina and Syracuse were games assigned by participating in the Barclays Classic. 

Noted, I am not privy to Monmouth's scheduling details. I never saw a return trip so figured it was a buy.

STILL, I wouldn't agree to scheduling more than three games that I thought would be a loss. 

2 minutes ago, RocChiTown said:

Noted, I am not privy to Monmouth's scheduling details. I never saw a return trip so figured it was a buy.

STILL, I wouldn't agree to scheduling more than three games that I thought would be a loss. 

They didn’t lose more than three games OOC.  They beat Memphis. 

Are you telling me that if we had Michigan scheduled and then got a call from the Battle 4 Atlantis asking us to play in it you’d turn them down because that would make a fourth game you expect to lose?

Or would it be fifth game?  Do you count St Bona as an expected loss too?

5 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

They didn’t lose more than three games OOC.  They beat Memphis. 

Are you telling me that if we had Michigan scheduled and then got a call from the Battle 4 Atlantis asking us to play in it you’d turn them down because that would make a fourth game you expect to lose?

Or would it be fifth game?  Do you count St Bona as an expected loss too?

Depends if it was on the road or not and who was paying. 

I'm saying more years three true road games is enough. If UB is playing three, four or five road games OOC and Clemson, Dayton, etc are playing one.

Road games are typically harder to win (obviously). Look at the records of bubble teams road records. 

54 minutes ago, RocChiTown said:

Get rid of UNT and replace them with Va Tech. Use that $ to get South Dakota State. I am very hesitant with agreeing to H&Hs with other mid majors programs. It's so hard to predict what the program will be the next year. Does the coach leave, the best player, do they graduate their best players and return to mediocrity? 

You are assuming Va Tech wanted to play us... Very few high majors are buying a mid-major team with 8 seniors who are picked to win their league.

I also understand the buy game argument, but its not fair to ask this group to play the entire non conference schedule on the road. They are already playing 6 of their first 8 away from home 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

You are assuming Va Tech wanted to play us... Very few high majors are buying a mid-major team with 8 seniors who are picked to win their league.

I also understand the buy game argument, but its not fair to ask this group to play the entire non conference schedule on the road. They are already playing 6 of their first 8 away from home 

That is obviously the biggest part of the equation. 

Not asking for more road games than already scheduled. 

3 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

Yeah, that’s kind of the problem here. 
No clue about who you could actually bring in  

A lot of people think scheduling is easy. 

And it is further down the line that the problems would come up than they realize.  

case in point: South Dakota State won’t come play us for money.  They probably wouldn’t even agree to a home/home.  

The teams people think we could buy are not the teams we can buy. 

Would we let South Dakota State buy us?  What makes you think they would let us buy them?  

South Dakota State has the following teams on the schedule in SOUTH DAKOTA this season.  

Bradley

Nevada

Washington

George Mason

South Dakota State has a larger buy budget than us.  This is partly due to them being remote and everyone needing to fly in to play them but it also makes it possible for them to schedule more teams than we have available to us. 

2 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Glad you support the decision made by the staff.  

If you want one of them dropped then you should donate $85k to the program and earmark it for paying St Francis or Youngstown State to come in for a game. 

It was a friendly convo until this. Don’t question my support for the program, staff and university. And please stay out of my pockets. I don’t have 85k laying around but I do contribute when I can. As a proud alum am I not allowed to question? If not for folks like me then the school wouldn’t be motivated to change. With all that said go Bulls! Sorry for hijacking the thread. Let’s kick som butt tonight and get guys minutes.

Edited by DooleyBull06

6 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

It was a friendly convo until this. Don’t question my support for the program, staff and university. And please stay out of my pockets. I don’t have 85k laying around but I do contribute when I can. As a proud alum am I not allowed to question? If not for folks like me then the school wouldn’t be motivated to change. With all that said go Bulls! Sorry for hijacking the thread. Let’s kick som butt tonight and get guys minutes.

That’s the reality.  

Sorry it hurt your feelings to find out that the program needs to have money money to do the things you want them to do…

44 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Yeah, that’s kind of the problem here. 
No clue about who you could actually bring in  

The better you are and the more $ you have, the easier it is to schedule.

When UB is scheduled to be a Q1 game for a team like SDSU, I bet they would agree to be bought if the $$ was right.

UB obviously doesn't have enough cash to make that happen presently. That's why an additional buy game could bridge that gap. 

Just now, RocChiTown said:

The better you are and the more $ you have, the easier it is to schedule.

When UB is scheduled to be a Q1 game for a team like SDSU, I bet they would agree to be bought if the $$ was right.

UB obviously doesn't have enough cash to make that happen presently. That's why an additional buy game could bridge that gap. 

Every team has a price.  

Syracuse gets bought.  They agree to get bought for $300,000 and 7,500 tickets in NYC with a marquee opponent.  

Every team has a price.  But we aren’t buying South Dakota State for $85k (the going rate) even if we are a ranked team.  

We don’t bring exposure to them.  They would rather play a Midwestern school in areas where they recruit if they are going to get bought. 

Playing another game at a power conference school (if we can find a buyer) is not going to bring in enough money to attract South Dakota State to come to Buffalo. 

We can buy a program like Cleveland State, Maine, Morgan State, or the like.  But we are not buying a top-75 team unless they have a budget crunch. Which does happen sometimes. 

Some schools are required to bring in a certain amount of money to fund their own athletic department and if they get too good they struggle to get bought by the five schools it takes to bring in the money.  That’s when you can buy good teams.  But there aren’t many out there like that. 

5 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Is Whitesell the point man on this planning/negotiation? Who else in the athletic department is involved? Curious about it.

You had to mention Whitesell...this could spiral into another side battle about him...LOL

This could get like the battle scene in blazing saddles spilling onto other sets!😆

30 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Is Whitesell the point man on this planning/negotiation? Who else in the athletic department is involved? Curious about it.

While I am sure Whitesell has input, usually there is a designated person on staff whether it be a coach or operations person that does most of the scheduling.

From there, they would have an administrator that oversees men's basketball involved to help with the contract.. No contract can be signed without an administrator,