Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Point Park Game (Name Fixed)

BrooklynBull

29 minutes ago, clodney said:

I'm so confused by this long argument over what strategy strengthens our NET rankings the best when buying/selling games with our limited budget. Didn't we just determine that MAC schools have absolutely no chance whatsoever at getting at-large bids?

There is a big difference between doing things strategically for one season and doing things strategically to better the program long term.  

The athletic department needs to be focused on the long term and doing the things that benefit the program long term. 

Making games financial transactions is a short term perspective.  Selling expected losses and buying expected wins is not how you engage fans.  

It’s also not how you get to the point where you can get at large bids.  

It is hard to get MAC at large bids but we know it isn’t impossible.  

I am sure you’re just cracking a joke about the previous discussions and how it makes this discussion moot but I think your comments warrant some consideration.  

The reason we (in the MAC) are in the position we are in is because the conference schools have accepted their plight in college sports hierarchy and are content with it.  Decisions are very short sighted in part because the programs are simply trying to survive but also in part because they believe that when the going is good it will be short lived.  

We know that it has been a stepping sting conference.  But you can build a winning program in a stepping stone conference that rises above it.  

We have to continue to lay the groundwork and think strategically about our relationships, rivalries, and how we cultivate fan interest so it remains for years to come no matter if the team is winning or losing. 

1 hour ago, dutchcountry7 said:

There is a big difference between doing things strategically for one season and doing things strategically to better the program long term.  

The athletic department needs to be focused on the long term and doing the things that benefit the program long term. 

Making games financial transactions is a short term perspective.  Selling expected losses and buying expected wins is not how you engage fans.  

It’s also not how you get to the point where you can get at large bids.  

It is hard to get MAC at large bids but we know it isn’t impossible.  

I am sure you’re just cracking a joke about the previous discussions and how it makes this discussion moot but I think your comments warrant some consideration.  

The reason we (in the MAC) are in the position we are in is because the conference schools have accepted their plight in college sports hierarchy and are content with it.  Decisions are very short sighted in part because the programs are simply trying to survive but also in part because they believe that when the going is good it will be short lived.  

We know that it has been a stepping sting conference.  But you can build a winning program in a stepping stone conference that rises above it.  

We have to continue to lay the groundwork and think strategically about our relationships, rivalries, and how we cultivate fan interest so it remains for years to come no matter if the team is winning or losing. 

If we played only NYS D1 schools out of conference would that help the program, or hurt it?

29 minutes ago, yussi1870 said:

If we played only NYS D1 schools out of conference would that help the program, or hurt it?

We don’t recruit New York. Historically we have excelled recruiting the Midwest.  But our fans and alumni are in New York. 

It would help engage the fan base but it isn’t realistic that we would get home games with St Johns and Syracuse.  And New York doesn’t actually have good college basketball with good followings.   Playing Army, Wagner, St Francis, and Cornell every year isn’t going to be great long term. 

But playing four games against NY teams every year would be great.  

- St Bona every year for the big WNY rivalry.  

- Eastern NY upstate every year.

- One down State game every year. 

-Additional floater for alumni base adjacent game (could be NJ, CT, MA, or NY as long as it is a short distance from an alumni base).  

20 minutes ago, SGBull said:

I wish we would play Siena and Albany every year, for selfish reasons of course.

The absolute minimum is one game in Albany every three years in my opinion.   Which would mean playing Siena and Albany once every six years in a staggered schedule.

I also think it is reasonable to include UMass as a Albany area team even though they are a ways outside of Albany.  It’s a big enough game that it should attract some traveling alums.  

You won’t get teams to agree to games every year but one game in Albany once every three years would be big for alumni, students, and recruits. 

13 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

The absolute minimum is one game in Albany every three years in my opinion.   Which would mean playing Siena and Albany once every six years in a staggered schedule.

I also think it is reasonable to include UMass as a Albany area team even though they are a ways outside of Albany.  It’s a big enough game that it should attract some traveling alums.  

You won’t get teams to agree to games every year but one game in Albany once every three years would be big for alumni, students, and recruits. 

And maybe one game for Long Island per year but rotated between St. John’s, st Francis, and liu Brooklyn?

12 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

I said this before You want to increase Alumni support Play in The New York City Area every year.  Play where your students go to work.  The way to get better games is to have more eyes watching.  If you can bring in fans to events you get better games.  You have better TV rating the NCAA will take you as an at large.  More eyes more people downstate where your alumni live.

6 minutes ago, CheerUB80/84 said:

I said this before You want to increase Alumni support Play in The New York City Area every year.  Play where your students go to work.  The way to get better games is to have more eyes watching.  If you can bring in fans to events you get better games.  You have better TV rating the NCAA will take you as an at large.  More eyes more people downstate where your alumni live.

Yup. 

It is insane that it has not been a priority to okay games in New York State and in areas where our alumni live. 

That was one of my major criticisms of the NYBI.  They wanted to be known as New York’s team but refused to take the teams around New York to play in front of those fans and actually claim the state.

20 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Yup. 

It is insane that it has not been a priority to okay games in New York State and in areas where our alumni live. 

That was one of my major criticisms of the NYBI.  They wanted to be known as New York’s team but refused to take the teams around New York to play in front of those fans and actually claim the state.

Something we agree on 😉

• Haha 1

A couple thoughts:

Blocker and mading look promising

Like that when ever that the main rotation started to play a lot of one on one or take more "playground" shots whitesell took those players out of the game

Second straight game where they played as a team after the first few games just a bunch of individual play