Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Point Park Game (Name Fixed)

BrooklynBull

1 hour ago, ubmae86 said:

I guess I have no idea what NAIA is

National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics.  It is an alternative Association to the NCAA more common in the Midwest.  

Schools are typically funded at a level between D2 and D3 of their NCAA counterparts and play at a similar level. 

Daemen was a member of the NAIA until they moved to the NCAA D2 about 10 years ago.  

NAIA is as legit as D2 or D3.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Brewton is a brick-laying jacker way more than a sharpshooter. Yikes.

Haven't quite figured out where his season will go.  He has a couple of adequate outings in two quad IV games, but has struggled in the others. Could be a combination of better defense or him pressing a bit.  Hoping he becomes a little more consistent and fits in a niche of 7-9 ppg with eFG in neighborhood of 50%+.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

We don’t recruit New York. Historically we have excelled recruiting the Midwest.  But our fans and alumni are in New York. 

It would help engage the fan base but it isn’t realistic that we would get home games with St Johns and Syracuse.  And New York doesn’t actually have good college basketball with good followings.   Playing Army, Wagner, St Francis, and Cornell every year isn’t going to be great long term. 

But playing four games against NY teams every year would be great.  

- St Bona every year for the big WNY rivalry.  

- Eastern NY upstate every year.

- One down State game every year. 

-Additional floater for alumni base adjacent game (could be NJ, CT, MA, or NY as long as it is a short distance from an alumni base).  

What about playing other SUNY schools? Albany, Stony Brook and Binghamton? There is no shortage of schools within a 6-hour bus ride.

Edited by promotherobot

6 hours ago, promotherobot said:

What about playing other SUNY schools? Albany, Stony Brook and Binghamton? There is no shortage of schools within a 6-hour bus ride.

Yes, but they are just other NY teams. Binghamton is no different than Cornell or Siena.  An Eastern upstate team to play.  

Play Stony Brook but not as a rival.  Play them in rotation with other NY teams.  Stony Brook is like Hofstra.  

1 hour ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Yes, but they are just other NY teams. Binghamton is no different than Cornell or Siena.  An Eastern upstate team to play.  

Play Stony Brook but not as a rival.  Play them in rotation with other NY teams.  Stony Brook is like Hofstra.  

Is that because Hofstra's AD is a former assistant AD at Stony Brook who is a former SA president at UB?

1 hour ago, BrooklynBull said:

Is that because Hofstra's AD is a former assistant AD at Stony Brook who is a former SA president at UB?

Ha.  

Not what I was thinking.  More so that we have a bigger brand and have been at a higher level athletically and we don’t want to raise other’s brands by tethering us to them through long running series and trying to develop a rivalry.  

We do already have an academic rivalry with SB and compete for students. 

But the point of playing different teams around the state is to extend the brand of Buffalo.  We want each team we play to view the Buffalo game as a big game to market to their own fan base. 

Hofstra may only have 25,000 basketball fans.  But the majority of them are in the NYC/Long Island area. When we play them we introduce those fans to Buffalo and if Buffalo fans/alums work with or are friends with Hofstra basketball fans then there is a connection that is cultivated that leads to the Buffalo people being more vested in the program—even casually.  

And when we play Stony Brook, the same thing is true.  They may only have 20,000 fans.  But they are a different set of fans.  There aren’t the same people who are fans of both programs.  So if we play SB in another season we are reaching another set of fans who also have connections to other Buffalo fans/alums and possibly those same ones as before. 

It’s not uncommon to have an office where you know where people went to school and to talk about college sports when their school is playing your school.  The same is true of neighbors.  Even if the people aren’t vested they will casually discuss it.  

By rotating through teams you hit many different touch points in the same market.  You keep the Buffalo fans in the market having something they are locally connected to while also having new avenues to reach potential Buffalo fans.

Some people will travel an hour and a half to see Buffalo basketball. Others will only go to a game if it is 15 minutes from their house and they get an email from the alumni association and this it would be something different to do that weekend with the kids to get them out of the house in the winter.  

Moving the games around in a market allows the program to benefit the most.  The teams we are talking about playing, I think we all can agree, we view as below us.  That probably isn’t really true when it comes to ability to schedule but is how we view them athletically.  And as a result we don’t want to be playing any one team every year like we do with St Bona.  When you play teams regularly you tend to be lumped in with them and people view you as peers.  We want these programs to feel like they got a big game like we did when we had SIU come to Alumni.  

On 11/30/2021 at 7:11 AM, dutchcountry7 said:

My point is play those schools before having to settle for D3 and NAIA schools.

It’s wild to me that anyone thinks that 2 non-D1 games was a choice that Whitesell wanted to make. Prior to this year he’s scheduled 11 non-D1 games in 9 seasons. We were literally the last D1 team to announce our full schedule and Point Park was the last game announced. Let’s use our brains.

59 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

It’s wild to me that anyone thinks that 2 non-D1 games was a choice that Whitesell wanted to make. Prior to this year he’s scheduled 11 non-D1 games in 9 seasons. We were literally the last D1 team to announce our full schedule and Point Park was the last game announced. Let’s use our brains.

What do you mean?

43 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

I assume he means that UB didn't see out to play a bunch of lesser division schools but we're forced to by circumstance. That may be somewhat true but I can't help feeling that poor planning played a part as well.

Yeah I'm sure we could have scheduled a bad D1 team somewhere along the way.  My impression of the situation is that we had an agreement with someone more desirable and it fell through which left UB scrambling late. I don't have any inside info, but I find the argument that this is something we wanted to do to be in bad faith based on the information that we have

If you look at nearly every mid-major (and even some majors) you will see that they play Non-D1 games.  It is a limit of programs at this level.   

Non-D1 games played going back to 2010...

2010 - Buffalo State

2011 - Houghton

2012 - Buffalo State

2013 - Mansfield, Notre Dame of Ohio

2014 - West Virginia Wesleyan

2015 - None

2016 - Pittsburgh-Bradford

2017 - Nazareth, Alaska-Anchorage (at the Great Alaska Shootout)

2018 - Central Penn

2019 - Le Moyne

2020 - Nazareth

2021 - Mercyhurst

2022 - Point Park, St John Fisher

It is what it is...

1 minute ago, dutchcountry7 said:

If you look at nearly every mid-major (and even some majors) you will see that they play Non-D1 games.  It is a limit of programs at this level.   

Non-D1 games played going back to 2010...

2010 - Buffalo State

2011 - Houghton

2012 - Buffalo State

2013 - Mansfield, Notre Dame of Ohio

2014 - West Virginia Wesleyan

2015 - None

2016 - Pittsburgh-Bradford

2017 - Nazareth, Alaska-Anchorage (at the Great Alaska Shootout)

2018 - Central Penn

2019 - Le Moyne

2020 - Nazareth

2021 - Mercyhurst

2022 - Point Park, St John Fisher

It is what it is...

I like 2015 😉 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Seton Hall is playing D2 Nyack College on FS2 right now.  

Every year a few power conference teams play non-D1 games.  

Would have been nice if they would have actually filled this date with a D1 team.  

To my point…why not call Seton Hall and say hey we will come to Jersey and play you guys? Thus eliminating a non D1 game for both schools. 

2 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

To my point…why not call Seton Hall and say hey we will come to Jersey and play you guys? Thus eliminating a non D1 game for both schools. 

That’s the issue.  

Seton Hall could play a D1 game if they wanted.  

They have no problem having teams come play them.  They chose to not play a D1 game.  They are nothing like us.