Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

21-22 Transfer Portal

Jeseph

I hate to highjack the seemingly constant updates of players entering the portal/receiving offers from the portal, but this is out of control with no end in sight. The general redshirt of a freshman followed by working their way up the line and playing for four years after it at UB seems like something that is going to become few and far between now. I, for one, am not a fan of this one bit. There's really no point in redshirting a guy in hopes of adding future value to your team, since that guy will likely be gone if he's as good as you hope he'd be by the end of his college career. May as well just burn up everyone's years if they can add even the most limited value to your team and only worry about one year at a time, versus a 4-5 year timeline. At least that's my thought now anyway. Wild, wild, west, here we are!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I hate to highjack the seemingly constant updates of players entering the portal/receiving offers from the portal, but this is out of control with no end in sight. The general redshirt of a freshman followed by working their way up the line and playing for four years after it at UB seems like something that is going to become few and far between now. I, for one, am not a fan of this one bit. There's really no point in redshirting a guy in hopes of adding future value to your team, since that guy will likely be gone if he's as good as you hope he'd be by the end of his college career. May as well just burn up everyone's years if they can add even the most limited value to your team and only worry about one year at a time, versus a 4-5 year timeline. At least that's my thought now anyway. Wild, wild, west, here we are!

Especially if they don’t have to sit a year after transfer. Very little incentive to bring on “project” type players because any glimpse of promise will send them scurrying away. It’s a crazy setup and I fear it will doom mid Major programs in the next 5-10 years. Will be hard to build consistent winning programs. 

20 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Especially if they don’t have to sit a year after transfer. Very little incentive to bring on “project” type players because any glimpse of promise will send them scurrying away. It’s a crazy setup and I fear it will doom mid Major programs in the next 5-10 years. Will be hard to build consistent winning programs. 

Long term I will think it will be a was for the non-Power 5 conferences.  Just as there will be players moving up in levels, there will be players moving down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Any word if there will be anything for early signing day this week or will we just see an update sometime with who actually put their name on the paper?

Typically, just the release with coaching statements on the initial class. So far nothing announced differently from Coach Mo. Some non-UB-related portal names have verbally committed to new schools, so I'd love to see us announce our own mid-year enrolled players, too.

On 12/8/2021 at 4:24 PM, RecoveringHillbilly said:

When Snyder signed with Rutgers I didnt see him as P5. And I didn't feel it was a recruiting miss for us. Today, after seeing his small sample size of play for Rutgers..not bad! Sure Cole, come home and win this job!

Offered.

• Like 1

Just now, ChubbyHubby said:

Hopefully some of the good ones end up staying.

Should know within a week or so. Now that the early signing is passing, the coaches will be able to see what holes are left open that they may need to get transfers to fill. Tim Terry is definitely gone, he sent his farewell tweet. Any word if James Patterson is coming back next season? He wasn't part of the senior farewell, so wasn't sure.

14 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

More of the LL guys bailing out. Would be interested if these were conversations with the current staff about their future roles or the student-athletes not buying into the new system. Both should have their 4 years. I think Washington got most of his stats in the Wagner game.