Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo vs St. Bonaventure 12/4 - 4pm

Buffalo resident who keeps up with UB (I love mid major bb, what can I say) but a diehard Bonnies fan.

Just stop BuffaloBonnie.  I hate when I see this shit.  I know its in jest, but it doesnt matter.  You make us look bad.    As pointed out, we've made as many NCAA's as UB this century.   We've got a whopping one more NIT.   We have 1 less win in the NCAAT.  1.5, really, when you consider what round ours occurred in.    Also- UB is the best nonconf game we have at home this year, by far.   Let's not act like P6 and upper tier AAC programs are lining up to come play us on our home court.  The additional good games we have at home this year are by virtue of our conference games, not because we're some destination Zenith.  

There's no love lost for me for UB.   I don't particularly like them, as a matter of the rivalry that's developed- but I'm certainly thankful for the rivalry.    UB is a team on our schedule every year, it's great if they're good and not meired in sub 200s like the other 3 'rivalry' games we're stuck with every year.    

Yes, the A10 is better than the MAC, as general rule.  Yes, we have some opportunities in conference for resume building wins.   But let's not forget our rise as one of the better programs in the league is only on its 6th year.  It took Schmidt a while to get rolling, and you cant blame him- he inherited a pure disaster.   But it's only since our 2016 team we've been among the better programs in the league, and the minute hes gone, there's no telling if we become the next GW or not.    We're an ass sniff away from 4 tournaments in 6 years- one snub job and one missed buzzer beater- but at the end of the day, we didnt get in those years.   And if we keep showing up to games half asleep this year, we wont make it this year, either.

I've argued w UB fans, including on here, who think one program is definitively superior to the other- you want to argue that, go ahead.   I think they're both relatively even lately.   UB has done some really impressive things lately.    But its embarrassing to thump your chest like we are Villanova and UB is Penn (to use another local rivalry game).  It's a huge part of the reason UB fans hate us, and outside of hating each other during the game, there's no reason it shouldn't be a friendly rivalry.    Mid-majors should stick together.  I want to beat every A10 team we play, but I root like hell for every A10 team during non conference and post season.   UB/Bona should, ideally, be the same way.

I hope Lofton is okay.  Idk if he will be.  I think it'll be a good game regardless.   Teams have a tendency to rise to the occasion in the immediate aftermath of a key injury.   Examples of Bona on both ends of it come to mind in recent years.

Best of luck to your season outside of Saturday. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

A few comments to add since catching up on missed posts:

• Mike Scherr's comment is exactly what grinds Bona fans gear because they view it as a pot/kettle situation.   Both teams have been relevant the last 5-7 or so years, but UB really wasnt ever prior to that.  Bona was late 90's/early 2000's, but not for about a decade after, and not for about 18 years between the late 70's/late 90s.  I understand Mike's comment was intended to dig- just adding some context
  • Dutchcountry makes good points!
  • I believe BuffaloBonnie was intentionally making a joke based on the notion that A10 is all small private schools- it has multiple large public schools (URI, UMASS, VCU, Mason)- and for what its worth- SLU and Dayton are 2 of the largest catholic schools in the country

1 hour ago, mikescherrer8 said:

They are bad and insecure. You would think they would have won NCAA tourney games in the last 50 years by the way they act. They’ve always been irrelevant.

I'm not sure what your definition of relevant is, but Bona got back to relevance in 2012.

Have that sustained that? Yes and no. 2016, 2018, 2019 and 2021 were good years. 

Same can be said for the Bulls. Making the tourney gets you back to the national stage and winning big games on TV throughout the year helps you stay on the mind of fans, recruits and people that make important decisions about scheduling and invites to good MTEs. 

Hopefully more NCAA bids are on the horizon for both the Bulls and Bonnies. 

Isnt arguing for relevance basically the existence of upper end mid majors in a nutshell?   MAC, MVC, MWC A10, WCC, AAC.   With the exception Gonzaga/Houston/Memphis/Cinci, that's half a dozen conferences filled with teams begging for people to know their best teams can run with the P6.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Tough break for the boys in brown. Wonder what this does to the line? Down to 4 or so?

Not sure what the spread is now, but I'd expect it to be <3.5. 

Holmes or possibly Quadry Adams will be running point during Lofton's extended absence. Adams is a transfer from Wake Forest. Does not appear to be an offensive threat, but very athletic and great defender.

You could also see Linton Brown fill in more at the 2 if Holmes runs point. Brown was a JUCO-AA, but has played sparingly thus far. Was a great shooter in college, but has not found his rhythm in his limited minutes.

2 hours ago, Jeseph said:

This game "doesn't matter" but IMO the official news makes this a must-win for JW.

This would go a long way. Don't care about the Bonnies or their fans honestly. Just a good team we need to beat to keep our trajectory going in the right direction.

45 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

This would go a long way. Don't care about the Bonnies or their fans honestly. Just a good team we need to beat to keep our trajectory going in the right direction.

And beating a struggling team that is missing their best player is a must. If Bona somehow uses us as a "get right" game despite the Lofton injury I'm not sure how much we can expect from this team.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

And beating a struggling team that is missing their best player is a must. If Bona somehow uses us as a "get right" game despite the Lofton injury I'm not sure how much we can expect from this team.

Them missing Lofton is nearly 1/4th of their total points. If UB doesn’t win this game, Whitesell should be on the hot seat. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Them missing Lofton is nearly 1/4th of their total points. If UB doesn’t win this game, Whitesell should be on the hot seat. 

We need to play a solid offensive plan, the Bonnies are very good defensively. We cannot have the cowboy crap or we need to really take it to them on the transition game. Rebounding will also be at a premium. Since they will be searching for points, the second chance points need to be minimized.

2 hours ago, Jeseph said:

Not sure this is fair. They're still a very good team without Lofton based on their system and structure. We don't have those things, which is one of the legitimate indictments of Whitesell. But with Lofton in we we're probably 7-8 point dogs. With him out it's a toss up but a loss isn't the end of the world imo.

Along with Ohio isn't Bona minus Lofton still our toughest game remaining?

52 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Not sure this is fair. They're still a very good team without Lofton based on their system and structure. We don't have those things, which is one of the legitimate indictments of Whitesell. But with Lofton in we we're probably 7-8 point dogs. With him out it's a toss up but a loss isn't the end of the world imo.

Along with Ohio isn't Bona minus Lofton still our toughest game remaining?

By some rankings, UC Irvine is up there in terms of tough remaining games, composite rank of 59.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

So what’s the deal with this game being on tv anywhere maybe direct tv? Is it only online at nbcsports.com? 

You should be able to watch on your phone/tablet/laptop via the nbc sports app if you have a cable subscription with nbc sports. I think. NBC’s sports wing is a convoluted mess right now with nbc sports, nbc gold, peacock, etc, and none of them seemingly connected to the others 

A thing to keep an eye on will be foul trouble. Which big, Mballa or Osunniyi, will get into foul trouble. Couple that with Hardnett off the bench being foul prone. Also Brock’s injury status…foul trouble could play a big factor. Skogman guarding Osunniyi would be a mismatch.  So keep an eye on fouls and post matchups.

• Like 1