Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo vs St. Bonaventure 12/4 - 4pm

7 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Well valiant  effort to come back but just a shame that it takes this team being pushed around and a near brawl to wake up. This was SFA all over again. 

You’re exactly right. It’s the thing that bothers me the most about this team. The lack of tenacity that they play with. Why not play hard from the jump?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, clodney said:

Whitesell will never get us back to where we were. No championship this year, no job. 

Whitesell isn't throwing up bricks all game. But he should have had them foul the Bonnies at 15 seconds just to ensure they'd get the ball back. You don't bust your ass to come back and then sit back and give them a free open shot to win.

3 minutes ago, Erie County said:

We didn't. 

Would have been a 1 and 1 

Then playing it straight up was the correct move. This was a classic case of why the screen and roll is the best basketball play. In this case it was a double screen…make college kids read and react. In most cases when you run an nba style play college kids won’t know what to do. This was one of them. Great play call and execution. Tip your cap for that play.

• Confused 1

Just now, DooleyBull06 said:

Then playing it straight up was the correct move. This was a classic case of why the screen and roll is the best basketball play. In this case it was a double screen…make college kids read and react. In most cases when you run an nba style play college kids won’t know what to do. This was one of them. Great play call and execution. Tip your cap for that play.

Totally disagree.

PLENTY to not like about that game and in the end it's a heart-shattering loss .But wow the 27th ranked team in America is crying tears of joy and their fans storming the court after beating our team full of disappointments and dead coaches walking.

We made a 13-2 run to tie it in what will be our most hostile road environment of the year. That's invaluable experience for critical MAC Tournament games to come and the guts they showed make me care about these kids even more.

How many would have already been driving down Maple Rd during that comeback based on this thread? Really unbecoming of our fanbase.

Jeenathan showed tremendous heart and skill, which are his absolute hallmarks. Rondo did as well. They need to have a chat with their fellow senior ASAP if they want the season to mean anything - embarrassing no show from Mballa today.  Whitesell and his staff don't bother installing offense in August like most programs, so I'm not sure we can do it now. No confidence we would execute a play like they did at the end.

13 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

Totally disagree.

On the play, if defended correctly, skogman had the ball handler pinned off, Jack had to switch and stay home on the shooter and Mballa had Osunniyi in the paint. Jack didn’t stay home. Question is…what were they told to do on screens in the huddle? Switch or hedge? If we do this correctly game is in OT

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

On the play, if defended correctly, skogman had the ball handler pinned off, Jack had to switch and stay home on the shooter and Mballa had Osunniyi in the paint. Jack didn’t stay home. Question is…what were they told to do on screens in the huddle? Switch or hedge? If we do this correctly game is in OT

Yeah, you need that, and for them to miss and not get called for a foul. Otherwise they win at the buzzer. That's too much to go wrong. At least my way you have one last possession and you aren't trailing by more than 2. We just gave them the game they way they p;ayed it.

2 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

Yeah, you need that, and for them to miss and not get called for a foul. Otherwise they win at the buzzer. That's too much to go wrong. At least my way you have one last possession and you aren't trailing by more than 2. We just gave them the game they way they p;ayed it.

And you’re confident that we would’ve gone the length of the court and executed a set play for the win? This squad? This coach? 

35 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

PLENTY to not like about that game and in the end it's a heart-shattering loss .But wow the 27th ranked team in America is crying tears of joy and their fans storming the court after beating our team full of disappointments and dead coaches walking.

We made a 13-2 run to tie it in what will be our most hostile road environment of the year. That's invaluable experience for critical MAC Tournament games to come and the guts they showed make me care about these kids even more.

How many would have already been driving down Maple Rd during that comeback based on this thread? Really unbecoming of our fanbase.

Jeenathan showed tremendous heart and skill, which are his absolute hallmarks. Rondo did as well. They need to have a chat with their fellow senior ASAP if they want the season to mean anything - embarrassing no show from Mballa today.  Whitesell and his staff don't bother installing offense in August like most programs, so I'm not sure we can do it now. No confidence we would execute a play like they did at the end.

Edited by UBminicre

5 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

And you’re confident that we would’ve gone the length of the court and executed a set play for the win? This squad? This coach? 

You just came from behind. You have the hot hand. Bona is choking. I would absolutely put them on the line with 15 seconds to play. It's a 1-1. 

If that was Whitesell's call I'll join that chorus of naysayers. You're team just fought all that way back and you don't give them the chance to win it?? You play for OT?

Edited by promotherobot

1 minute ago, UBminicre said:

Dude, they were missing their very best player by far. Saying they are 27th ranked team is so off base here…

I understand that Lofton was out. They're a defensive, system team and their other FOUR experienced senior starters were able to shoulder his load. The spread moved by like 1.5 points because of his absence, not earth shattering. You think we were the actual favorite in that game because he was out? Could have made a lot of money with those 3.5 points.

1 minute ago, MuchMany said:

I understand that Lofton was out. They're a defensive, system team and their other FOUR experienced senior starters were able to shoulder his load. The spread moved by like 1.5 points because of his absence, not earth shattering. You think we were the actual favorite in that game because he was out? Could have made a lot of money with those 3.5 points.

Clearly we were not - but that is clear from watching our team all year. We are mediocre at best with the ability to score quickly in bunches. 

That wasn’t my point. My point is, Bonnie’s aren’t a 27th rank team without their best player. 

1 minute ago, promotherobot said:

You just came from behind. You have the hot hand. Bona is choking. I would absolutely put them on the line with 15 seconds to play. It's a 1-1. 

If that was Whitesell's call I'll join that chorus of naysayers. You're team just fought all that way back and you don't give them the chance to win it?? You play for OT?

It's entirely unorthodox and kind of crazy. It's like the crazy cousin to fouling up 3. But I might have told my press to be extra aggressive and if you happen to foul with 9 seconds left, so be it. If OO sets a screen to break the press, run through him like he isn't there, knock the wind out of him, and see if he makes the front end of a 1-and-1.

Our best outcome was overtime and worst was a loss playing it straight up. With your route, our best outcome is a win, and our worst outcome is a loss. Kind of like going for 2 down 1 in football. Shorten the game, take the OT crowd out of it, force an outcome. 

2 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

If that was Whitesell's call I'll join that chorus of naysayers. You're team just fought all that way back and you don't give them the chance to win it?? 

There’s no guarantee you win it. I rather play defense and force OT than willingly hand them the lead and try to run a play with less than 10 seconds trialing. We knew they were holding for the last shot…they just executed. In you scenario if we are down 2 you best believe Bona ain’t allowing a 3. 

1 hour ago, promotherobot said:

So what? Even if they make it both you get the last shot with a chance to win or tie. All you did was give them a free open shot to win. Stupid.

You do this when you feel like you have a hot shooter and you don’t believe you can get the stop and won’t be able to win in overtime. 

2 hours ago, UB05 said:

In what way? 2 more 3 pointers and it’s tied. They had some wide open looks, Williams does not go 0-3 on those often. Jack missed a wide open one as well. What did Whitesell do specifically that you take issue with? 

Attack the paint with their front court. Mballa had zero points in first half. Osun sat the final six minutes of first half in follow trouble. Attack their obvious weakness.