Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo @ Western Kentucky

I really like the domination in the boards. 42-28.

3 things I wanna point out

1. Where the hell did Tra’von Fagan come from? He’s been stepping up and providing some much needed bench production. 7 points, 8 rebounds for him. If he is able to sustain that the whole year, that’s big for us.

2. I wish someone would have a sit down with Keishawn Brewton and tell him there’s more to the game of basketball on the offensive side than the 3 pointer.

3. A good turnaround game for Mballa who was a ghost against the Bonnies. We need him to be the player he was the previous two years in order for us to be successful.

Overall, I can say this is the most satisfying win of the year. Winning without Williams is huge. Hopefully this can be a bit of a turning point and get a win streak going.

Whitesell was asked after the game about how well Maceo Jack played and he responded with something like, "I thought Brewton did a great job and really sparked the team with those 3's". Now, either our coach can't hear or he's making a note to publicly encourage Brewton and if that's true then there could be some underlying confidence issues that we aren't even aware of.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, promotherobot said:

Why don't you guys want to come to the MAC? Do you hate MTSU that much?

WKU fans were sold on the MAC and the administration was ready to go - but MTSU didn't want to pay the exit fees and dropped out.  My understanding was the MAC wanted both of us or nothing.  So, once MTSU "pulled a middle" the MAC rescinded their invite to us. And yes we hate the MUTS, them essentially blocking us from the MAC only intensified those feelings.

Edited by Shadow_Son
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Gxtrex said:

Do net rankings count games vs non D1 opponents?

I don't think so...here is part of explanation that suggests only D1 opponents considered1645805626_Screenshot_20211209-1059072.thumb.png.5ce6c24ca7513753181f04d851eafe3a.png

I thought this was part of explanation why we scheduled PP and SJF, because they didn't hurt our NET.  I suppose you could play a low D1, and run up the score. 

Edited by DocCas86

1 minute ago, DocCas86 said:

I don't think so...here is part of explanation that suggests only D1 opponents considered

I thought this was part of explanation why we scheduled PP and SJF, because they didn't hurt our NET.  I suppose you could play a low D1, and run up the score. 

That was my understanding as well.  It is cheaper than bringing a low D1 opponent, and doesn't affect our NET/Kenpom/etc.. rankings.  A D1 opponent could help but we would have to win by like 30 and we already have a lot of quad IV games in conference play.

Do non-d1 games count in our overall record?

1 hour ago, Shadow_Son said:

WKU fans were sold on the MAC and the administration was ready to go - but MTSU didn't want to pay the exit fees and dropped out.  My understanding was the MAC wanted both of us or nothing.  So, once MTSU "pulled a middle" the MAC rescinded their invite to us. And yes we hate the MUTS, them essentially blocking us from the MAC only intensified those feelings.

That's a shame because we'd love to play WKU every year. You'd be a great addition to the MAC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gxtrex said:

Do net rankings count games vs non D1 opponents?

Non-D1 games are not factored into the NET math.  The games do count as official wins (or losses).   This is one of the reasons teams have preferred to play non-D1 games.  A team like Daemen is better than a lot of the low level D1 teams.  So play them and your team will be pushed.  Play a low level D1 team and you can be penalized for playing a close game even though you win it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shadow_Son said:

I realize that this will hijack the thread, but going to do it any way.

So this is fan of a Conference USA team that wanted to the MAC, while no MAC teams showed an interest in going to Conference USA.  For those who want(ed) UB to seek to move to Conference USA, what does this say about conference quality?

31 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

So this is fan of a Conference USA team that wanted to the MAC, while no MAC teams showed an interest in going to Conference USA.  For those who want(ed) UB to seek to move to Conference USA, what does this say about conference quality?

It would have also saved them a bundle in travel costs I assume

1 hour ago, BrooklynBull said:

I haven't heard a single Buffalo person claim we should move to CUSA ever since the conference lost 9 members. I also don't think WKU would be looking at the MAC had those 9 members still been around. We are merely a life raft of stability.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, clodney said:

I haven't heard a single Buffalo person claim we should move to CUSA ever since the conference lost 9 members. I also don't think WKU would be looking at the MAC had those 9 members still been around. We are merely a life raft of stability.

Yup.  

A lot of UB fans liked the idea of being in a conference where they were in a division with UAB, Charlotte, Marshall, Old Dominion, WKU, and MTSU.

A lot fewer (any?) are interested in being in a conference with Sam Houston State, Jacksonville (Alabama) State, UTEP, New Mexico State, Florida International, Liberty, MTSU, and WKU.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clodney said:

Because all of the good C-USA teams are gone, that conference is dead. It wouldn’t have been worth it.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 3:02 PM, dutchcountry7 said:

Yup.  

A lot of UB fans liked the idea of being in a conference where they were in a division with UAB, Charlotte, Marshall, Old Dominion, WKU, and MTSU.

A lot fewer (any?) are interested in being in a conference with Sam Houston State, Jacksonville (Alabama) State, UTEP, New Mexico State, Florida International, Liberty, MTSU, and WKU.

Correct. The version of C-USA before the raid had many schools that were peers of UB. Large, urban, public universities. We have more in common with Charlotte and UAB than Central and Eastern Michigan.

15 minutes ago, UBlearns said:

WKU just blew out Ole Miss by 23 at a neutral site game.

Was watching that game. They dominated from beginning to end. Looked like a completely different team. They played more zone and Sharp controlled the paint with block shots. I believe they got their best player back too. But we were without our best. Either way, makes our win against them look better.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Was watching that game. They dominated from beginning to end. Looked like a completely different team. They played more zone and Sharp controlled the paint with block shots. I believe they got their best player back too. But we were without our best. Either way, makes our win against them look better.

I think the UB win over WKU is going to look much better at the end of the year than it did on Wednesday night.

Thank you for the well wishes. The tornados that rocked Bowling Green are verging on the worst natural disaster in the history of the town. Over 75 homes completely decimated. Hundreds more damaged. Over 15+ dead and unfortunately counting. Myself and my family were lucky to escape with minimal damage, while houses less than 50 yards from our front door were completely leveled. We are still without power and may be for some time. I debated on traveling to Atlanta today out of guilt, but decided to let the emergency and rescue crews do their jobs and made the drive anyway. At least they have power and heat in Atlanta I guess. I can firmly say tonight was the most emotional WKU game I’ve ever been apart of. It was clear from the tip the guys were playing with a different energy. A purpose. For the city. Having Josh Anderson back and a “closer” to 100% Hamilton made a world of difference. To completely dismantle a good team in Ole Miss and get one over on Kermit Davis, has done mine and many Hilltoppers hearts a world of good. We have a long way to go as a community and a basketball team, but tonight felt good - even if only for a couple hours. Thank you Bulls fan. Rooting for nothing but success for your program. 

Edited by Shadow_Son
  • Like 5