Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Is a player declaring for the NBA Draft hurting us?

ChubbyHubby

So, a year ago, one of our top players, Javon Graves declared for the NBA draft, and then came back to UB.  His last season with us did not live up to expectations.  This past offseason, Josh Mballa declared, and then came back.  I don't think there's any denying that he's not playing up to the expectations that he set with his play last season.  Is there a correlation there?  It seems that they declare, then get advice as to what their game needs for NBA competition, then come back working on the weaknesses that were pointed out to them rather than playing to their strength.    

The sample size is small but in regards to those two…I agree. In Mballa’s case I believe, no proof, that he was told he needs to be more of a 3&D caliber player. Or a player that can take a man off the dribble. Both of which are elements of his game that need improvement. And he has tried to showcase he can do that with mixed to negative results. Which, for our interest, has hurt the team and his level of production. Idk what happened to Graves. I think it was more mental. Bc he is in the G League now. So obviously he has that kinda of ability. I think the pressure of being the main leader and having to be relied upon to score, defend and distribute was too much. We all know he was better suited for the Robin role as opposed to the Batman role. Ultimately there’s probably too many people in these young men’s ears. And they then try to do too much on the court.

3 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

I believe Jeenathan declared and came back as well. Hasn’t seem to hurt him any. 

He did get a haircut… I believe he said he was all business this year.  

It’s not just declaring, it is what the evaluators tell a player.  Do they need to demonstrate new skills, or just improve the same skills they’ve already been showing?

32 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

He did get a haircut… I believe he said he was all business this year.  

It’s not just declaring, it is what the evaluators tell a player.  Do they need to demonstrate new skills, or just improve the same skills they’ve already been showing?

You would have thought they told Mballa to work on his game down low and make rebounding a priority. Possibly add a mid range jumper. I doubt it say play 1-on-1 and Jack 3s

39 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

You would have thought they told Mballa to work on his game down low and make rebounding a priority. Possibly add a mid range jumper. I doubt it say play 1-on-1 and Jack 3s

2 things….there is no mid range in the NBA. Analytics have all but eliminated it. At most you see guards using the runner. Second thing…Mballa is a classic tweener. He is only 6’7. Think Julius Randle as a comp. What has elevated Randle’s game…driving and making 3s.