Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo @ Canisius (5pm Saturday 12/8)

Jeseph

Honestly a game UB should win comfortably. This isn’t your typical “mediocre” Griffs squad. They are VERY BAD!!!

They’re 2-9 and 313th in the NET rankings. Outside of giving St. Bonaventure a scare on the road, they’ve struggled just to be competitive at times. Here’s a look at their recent games:

A157CD3E-999C-48C3-BF84-68AC3CD8E04D.thumb.png.d004f6a613c05c90c4983a7012dc918f.png

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

54 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Honestly a game UB should win comfortably. This isn’t your typical “mediocre” Griffs squad. They are VERY BAD!!!

Therein lies the trap. I agree we should win easy. But this group’s main issue has always been between the ears. Example: Dartmouth, Army 2x and SFA. Games we should’ve won but played down to our competition. The guys have a week off, I’m sure they’ll be itching to ball. Take care of business.

10 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Hope this team learned from the sfa fiasco

Should be a game ub can get minutes to the bench 

We say SFA fiasco like we were their only win. That team is 8-2. 

the teams we lost to have a combined 8 losses and Michigan has half of those 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

We say SFA fiasco like we were their only win. That team is 8-2. 

the teams we lost to have a combined 8 losses and Michigan has half of those 

SFA composite rank is 132...what was disappointing was how we lost (too many turnovers) and that it meant we lost opportunity to play St. Louis, but a loss to Canisius would be way worse.

• Like 3

I have observed that the Canisius crowd puts a really big emphasis on the Big Four games.  They really want to win those games.  They don’t seem to care too much about games with Youngstown State and the like but the Big Four matter to them. 

Canisius always seems to play us and St Bona tough.  I really think they spend a lot more time preparing for us than they do most games.  I am sure they have watched a ton of film on us over the summer. 

This is not a game to be taken lightly.  Why wouldn’t it be a game Reggie wants to win more than others?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

I have observed that the Canisius crowd puts a really big emphasis on the Big Four games.  They really want to win those games.  They don’t seem to care too much about games with Youngstown State and the like but the Big Four matter to them. 

Canisius always seems to play us and St Bona tough.  I really think they spend a lot more time preparing for us than they do most games.  I am sure they have watched a ton of film on us over the summer. 

This is not a game to be taken lightly.  Why wouldn’t it be a game Reggie wants to win more than others?

Having interned with the Canisius athletic department in the past, I can tell you for a fact that these games matter a ton to the Griffs.

That said, there is a noticeable difference in talent between these two schools. They've been able to hang with UB and Bona in the past and even gave the Bonnies a scare this year in Olean. However, that was an outlier.

This Canisius squad has been awful on both sides of the court, in efficiency stats and shooting the ball. They shoot 38% from the field (342nd in NCAA) and allow opponents to shoot 48% against them (350th in NCAA). This is probably one of their worst teams in recent memory.

The Griffs will want to win for Reggie but I'll be surprised if they keep within 10.

4 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

SFA composite rank is 132...what was disappointing was how we lost (too many turnovers) and that it meant we lost opportunity to play St. Louis, but a loss to Canisius would be way worse.

Agreed. The SFA loss was more of a blown opportunity than anything else. A game in which you can rationalize and understand how they lost but disappointed in the way they did with 20 turnovers and too many offensive rebounds allowed.

It was a game in which almost everything went wrong from the start and they still had a chance to win in the final minutes. Canisius is a completely different story. This is a Griffs squad whose only win against a D1 opponent is a 76-75 last second victory over a 1-13 Coppin State squad.

This is a take care of business and show you're a much more talented team type of game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dutchcountry7 said:

I do expect Canisius to give maximum effort in this game.  That is why the Bulls have to match Canisius' intensity.  The way UB loses this game is Canisius plays with more effort, and UB can't let that happen.