Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo @ Canisius (5pm Saturday 12/8)

Jeseph

5 minutes ago, BasketBull said:

It’s boring, bland, undisciplined, uninspired and unprepared basketball, and maybe the worst part is they can’t even outrun the defense on the fast break. The benefit of the Oats teams was even if the shots weren’t falling you knew that the pace of place would eventually wear out the other team. That doesn’t happen with this iteration of the Bulls. There’s no team identity. It’s so disheartening.

Completely agree. It’s one thing for the shots not to fall. But the effort, or lack there of, is what is most concerning. The disinterest in hustling, doing the things that don’t take talent…that’s the big concern. This team group’s identity is inconsistency. Is not playing hard from the opening tip. 

Everyone is mad at Whitesell but no one is mad at the terrible shooting. Make any shot we missed...any one shot... And we win. 

How about the 5 minute mark of the second? Canisius is ice cold but we can't add to a one point lead. We come all the way back from 14 down only to start taking terrible shots and let the Griffs hang on. Whitesell isn't shooting the ball.

Edited by promotherobot
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, promotherobot said:

Everyone is mad at Whitesell but no one is mad at the terrible shooting. Make any shot we missed...any one shot... And we win. 

How about the 5 minute mark of the second? Canisius is ice cold but we can't add to a one point lead. We come and the way back from 14 down only to start taking terrible shots and let the Griffs hang on. Whitesell isn't shootting the ball.

As I said in my previous post. Total breakdown and collective loss. Bad coaching, bad game execution. Poor foul shooting at the end. Poor inbounding. No discipline and lack of fundamentals. The end result of any game is coaching + player execution. 

• Like 2

I’ll just say this so I’m not accused of targeting a specific player or coach.

It was a poor performance by EVERYONE.

The collective performance of the team from coaching to the players executing on the floor was miserable. No one deserves a pass after that performance today.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

I’ll just say this so I’m not accused of targeting a specific player or coach.

It was a poor performance by EVERYONE.

The collective performance of the team from coaching to the players executing on the floor was miserable. No one deserves a pass after that performance today.

I thought that Fagan's play was the only relative bright spot. He gave strong effort and solid play. I thought Skogman should've been fed more down low and in my opinion,  would've eaten Hitchon alive (or would've fouled out).

• Like 2

I treasure wins over the Little 3, I writhe in anger after losses to them.  Two losses to them in last-second three's this season has me wondering, what exactly in my life is this karmic retribution for?

In terms of coaching, I'm trying to separate what I know and see for myself from what I can only speculate on, and what is on the players themselves.  I don't know what their pregame mood was; I do know that a minute in, they weren't going for rebounds that hard.  I can only speculate on what was said to them before or during, but I hope it was a sharp reminder to get it in gear.  Because they did not look fired up to start, I don't know if they expected this to be easy.  I half put that on coaches to set the tone - but with what, 8 seniors, do we really need the coaches to get them focused and fired up to play? They really need someone to do that for them, what are they 10 years old?  The painfully obvious lesson that we learned about them at Bona is: you cannot expect to win basketball games when you shoot this badly.  Period.  However open your shots are, and that means either the plays are well designed and/or well executed, it's on them to make them.  I'm pretty damn unhappy after a loss like that but trying to keep in mind what I see and what I don't/can't know.  What I do like is that they played better second half - again, I don't know if this was the coaches correcting things, but they dug out of a 12 point halftime hole by playing better defense.

Williams - ended up with a double-double in a game where he shot atrociously.  He's your go-to guy so you keep going to him, it just wasn't dropping.
Segu - I can't imagine him ever being a guy you wonder about if he's focused or intense enough.
Skogman - some solid minutes today, playing an inside role that I'd rather have Mballa in, but he did a good job defensively in the second half.
Fagan - another guy stepping up with some solid minutes, because...
Mballa - had a clown game.  Does he want to be here?  Does he care?  He had no touch around the hoop first half, then buried himself second half with a lazy hip-check foul and then a technical.  In a game that if he felt like it, he should've dominated.  I was actually glad when he got sent to the bench.
Brewton - one 3 pointer from a senior in a game we needed someone to be able to shoot.  
Jack - hit a couple first half, seemed to disappear second half.

A friend of mine is a basketball referee, he pointed out two things: 1, he noticed that Mballa always seems to go to his right, so all the opponents know and expect this; and 2, he thought the call on Williams at the end on the inbound was bad. He said he thought Jeenathan was falling backward and the Canisius guy totally sold it.  Still doesn't excuse the inability to inbound it there, but I take that from someone who really knows what they're watching.

Thumbs-down to the KeyBank Arena announcer.  Mispronouncing the last name of the guy you're having a moment of silence for (Will Regan's dad), then mispronouncing Mballa's name, come on man you're a professional, that was bush-league embarrassing.

I will end by repeating: you cannot win basketball games if you shoot this badly.

Edited by enrique14150
  • Like 1

Traveled to Germany during this game. Wish I stayed on the plane after seeing this scoreboard dud. Without reading the board or watching, I can safely say that nobody will be able convince me that UB is not heading to the basement in the coming years. If this is the best we can do with the “talent” left behind… I am mortified over what could be without any Nate oats recruits left. Whitesell is a total flop, it’s clear as day light. Can’t extract anything from what we have (or had in graves) and have yet to display one single recruited talent in 3 years of who will be our go to next year. Sure sure we can still make Run in Mac, anything is possible, but this type of skate on thin ice is not my idea of a good time. 

• Like 1

Thinking back to just prior to the game, UB came out to watch the end of the Niagara game, and then for some on court practice. Segu showed a ton of energy, even racing across the court to grab basketballs on a cart for his teammates. Meanwhile the rest of the team looked awed and out of place, almost unsure of what they should be doing.

Compare that to Canisius which was running drills and exercise in tandem. Also, while UB spent an extra 10 minutes on the court “warming up” Canisius was in the locker room getting detailed on the strategy. When the game started one team was comfortable and confident while the other team had one guy with his head in the game (Segu) and the rest not sure where they were or what they were supposed to do.

A lot has, deservedly, been written here about a seeming lack of motivation, hustle, poor coaching. At least one Bull has gained my attention by exhibiting the traits that help to win in team sports, and that player is Tra’Von Fagan. His shooting and rebounding stats are good, he hustles, dives for loose balls, seems to be a pretty reliable defender. Is he as good as Brock Bertram, or Skogman? I would give him more minutes than he has been getting, that’s for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, squire17 said:

A lot has, deservedly, been written here about a seeming lack of motivation, hustle, poor coaching. At least one Bull has gained my attention by exhibiting the traits that help to win in team sports, and that player is Tra’Von Fagan. His shooting and rebounding stats are good, he hustles, dives for loose balls, seems to be a pretty reliable defender. Is he as good as Brock Bertram, or Skogman? I would give him more minutes than he has been getting, that’s for sure.

Agreed, he always seems to make something happen when he enters the game. This is his last ride and no hope of the NBA, maybe that’s preferable.

The lone positive from the game was the moment of silence for Larry Regan. Thank you to Canisius for doing it, especially considering UB couldn't have bothered to do it at their last home game. He only was a long time donor, ticket holder, supporter, and had a son who played significantly on the 1st MAC championship team.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...