Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

[Postponed] UC Irvine @ Buffalo

MuchMany

7 hours ago, MuchMany said:

UC Irvine is an 11.5-point dog tonight at undefeated #10 USC. Obviously this is a big measuring stick game for the Anteaters, who will also visit Duquesne on Sunday before coming to Alumni next week. A major upset here would add even more juice to our matchup next week.

Doesn't look like this is on ESPN+. Any idea where it's being shown?

3 hours ago, promotherobot said:

Doesn't look like this is on ESPN+. Any idea where it's being shown?

Listed as ESPN3 now, usually those are on ESPN+

UCI has a lot of size to contend with - tallest starter is 6'9 but they have two 7 footers coming off the bench. We'll want to push the pace whenever possible. Their offense seems to run through Welp (pronounced "Velp" apparently)

On 12/15/2021 at 10:02 PM, DocCas86 said:

I found something that said on fuboTV.  UCI up 8 at the half.   We better be on our game against them.

We will, we play to the competition if you haven’t noticed. Thats how poorly coached teams perform. Those that are always hungry get up for every game 

28 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

UB will win this convincingly cause nothing makes sense. To be fair, UC Irvine has been on a 3 game slump. I wonder if Josh Mballa will show up?

I would like to think Saturday was a kick in the ass for the team, but not sure if these guys view stuff this way. The previous games that should have been kicks in the ass didn't seem to take hold of them.

1 hour ago, mikescherrer8 said:

UB will win this convincingly cause nothing makes sense. To be fair, UC Irvine has been on a 3 game slump. I wonder if Josh Mballa will show up?

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

I would like to think Saturday was a kick in the ass for the team, but not sure if these guys view stuff this way. The previous games that should have been kicks in the ass didn't seem to take hold of them.

I rarely comment anymore on basketball and try not to read/involve myself during the in game comments.

However, I think that these two quotes (pithy as they are) tell the story.

Can UB beat UCI?  Sure...I would think UB starts the game as a 4 or 5 pt favorite (assuming everyone is available).  We know UB has a strong roster of players and they have proven it already in victories against WKY and UNT.  The confidence of many who voted on the number of victories has been justified by the good showings against WKY and UNT.

Alas, as we have seen in the Whitesell era, the team plays down to the level of competition and will often walk through the first portion of games, relying on their superior talent to come back and win (though that doesn't always work out).  There was a quote after an Army loss within the last few years (where the team came out flat) and Whitesell said something about having a challenge to motivate the players to start out with urgency.  He seemed not to know how to instill that sense of urgency at all times.  This is certainly a continuing issue.

I would not be shocked at all to see UB beat UCI...perhaps even by 10 or more.   And for Mballa and Williams to have strong games.  As a result of that, we will get those who were in hiding during/after the Canisius game to say things like "now we've turned the corner and are focused on MAC play" or "only need to have a solid stretch in Cleveland" or "UCI is a tier x win that will improve our NET".     On the other hand, if we lose...then "Whitesell" thread will get even more new posts and more people will jump on the bandwagon to remove the coach (with a few of those holdouts playing defense on the board).

Is the outcome of one game (either the Canisius showing or whatever happens with UCI) enough to change a mind here or there?  The head coach has about 750 games as a head coach already.  He's been a head coach since 1987!  Next week he will be 62.  He is who he is.  

My advice is to enjoy the rest of season with these players since they are our guys.  And if they catch fire and commit for some games in Cleveland, they can make it to the NCAA.  And we all know that this is very likely to be a high point (talent wise) for the next few years (at least).  For those who have been fans for a few decades, to see players like Williams and Mballa on this team are almost a "dream come true".  Enjoy it while you can.   Go Bulls!