Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Vantrease/McDuffie both enter transfer portal

2 hours ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

There will be a quarterback competition at UB this offseason. Best of luck to KVT wherever his future takes him. We’ll always remember his role in the Bulls magical 2020 season.

It’s time to move forward. I don’t think having KVT for another year would be in the best interest of the program to move forward. I wish him the best and hope he can find a starting job somewhere.

• Like 2

This portal thing is a game changer. There is no loyalty anymore and we are seeing basically short term careers of players at UB. Saw McDuffie enter the portal now too. I’m not a fan of this portal but can’t root against players doing what’s best for them and to find better situations if possible for their careers. 

It’s college FB free agency.  It’s not just UB, it’s every program. 

The Bulls are losing some pretty good players if they do in fact transfer. We will see what Mo can do to backfill these losses with solid recruits. For now though. it’s concerning about football.  We look like one of the weaker MAC programs again.

• Like 1

McDuffie, local kid who we were told from seemingly very good sources "loves Coach and the direction," in the portal. This is the first one that actually bums me out and pisses me off.

The cupboard is pretty damn bare at this point and there isn't much coming in from what I can tell. At this point we have to wait until spring to see who actually goes and who Mo brings in, but the math is pretty grim right now.

• Like 1

Yeah...the McDuffie (potential) exit is disappointing.  If I recall correctly, he had a family member who posted on this site.

From what I have read (relative to other teams in the MAC), our recruiting class is in the bottom half or bottom quartile.   That was supposed to be the coach's calling card.

The new coach has his work cut out for him, that's for sure.  It is hard to be optimistic, but we'll see.     His was an interesting and exciting hire at the time, so I am willing to give him time to develop what he needs to in order to be successful.  But I'd be lying if I wasn't a little bit concerned at this point.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, UB92 said:

His was an interesting and exciting hire at the time, so I am willing to give him time to develop what he needs to in order to be successful.  But I'd be lying if I wasn't a little bit concerned at this point.

This is pretty much exactly my take on the situation at this point.

2 hours ago, UBlearns said:

This is pretty much exactly my take on the situation at this point.

Agreed. He sounds good in press conferences, but I cannot be denied that we actually got worse as the season went on, which is odd and disturbing for teams without injury issues. It made me question the overall coaching ability and in-game decision making. I'm going to root hard that there is a plan and with a full off-season will come to fruition. I'm just not sure how this is going to work based upon what has been reported to date. We have some transfers, which may be good, but loosing young guys through the portal year after year once they show a glimmer of promise is going to be dangerous long term for programs like UB. I guess if the NCAA wants 6-10 legitimate national championship contenders each year, this is ideal. For everyone else, it's really going to suck.

4 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Agreed. He sounds good in press conferences, but I cannot be denied that we actually got worse as the season went on, which is odd and disturbing for teams without injury issues. It made me question the overall coaching ability and in-g

To be honest, i didn’t think he sounded all that good in press conferences.  Too often i’d hear canned cliches and “coach speak”.  Not enough honesty and transparency for my taste….at least in the portions of press conferences i listened to.

I hope things are different behind the scenes and he connects with the athletes better than it seems from the outside. They did get worse as the season went on. That’s a fact. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, zigo230 said:

To be honest, i didn’t think he sounded all that good in press conferences.  Too often i’d hear canned cliches and “coach speak”.  Not enough honesty and transparency for my taste….at least in the portions of press conferences i listened to.

I hope things are different behind the scenes and he connects with the athletes better than it seems from the outside. They did get worse as the season went on. That’s a fact. 

Agree....the first couple pressers were good, but after that he was very scripted and really didn't say anything with insight.   Let's give him some time, as this is really the first job he has had where he had to speak to the media...regarding player attrition, it is a bit odd that 4 starters on the offense (which, BTW wasn't very good explosive at all during the season), go to the portal.  The most alarming item is the lack of #'s (scholarship) on the offensive line with spring ball only 2 months away.  

I have always wondered what "culture" he is referring to when he refers to "Building a Culture".   UB had a winning culture that played hard and smart under Lance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I keep seeing little twitter ticklers, but don't actually see any signings. 247 sports now has the kid from Florida (and the 9 other schools he committed and decommitted from) as a transfer now. There is something about someone from CA to NY, but it's all clandestine. Kids all want their big moment, so you just never know. We had guys last year that were supposedly on the team that never showed up. I guess we will know who's on the team at our first game in the fall.

9 minutes ago, UB77 said:

McDuffie is the big surprise to me. But with his position coach moving on to Georgia Tech, I wonder if there is a wink-wink deal for McDuffie to follow?

Pure unfounded speculation on my end.

I thought I heard he loved Mo and "wasn't going nowhere".

1 minute ago, 121Merrimac said:

Me too.

I thought playing for the same local team his family played for would be an anchor.

There are no anchors anymore. 61 players have entered the portal from 12/24/21 to 12/31/21, plus who knows how many before that. Next week will be even more once the bowls are done. The NCAA caused this insanity as their ode to Covid I guess, but I don't see it ever changing. It will likely get worse with the NLIs because ow every hometown car dealer can throw a simple "deal" at a recruit, not even a high level, just someone the team wants and it will all be cool. 5 years from now, college football will be vastly different. 

Tough watching another former Bull play for another school this year. Tonight Jacob Gall started at center for 7th ranked Baylor against Ole Miss in the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans. I don’t think some people knew how good we had it with Lance. He ran a quiet and efficient program with solid recruiting and had good game management. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, MKBullsfan said:

Tough watching another former Bull play for another school this year. Tonight Jacob Gall started at center for 7th ranked Baylor against Ole Miss in the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans. I don’t think some people knew how good we had it with Lance. He ran a quiet and efficient program with solid recruiting and had good game management. 

People wanted him out though because he never won the MAC championship.

20 hours ago, UBinMD said:

It will likely get worse with the NLIs because ow every hometown car dealer can throw a simple "deal" at a recruit, not even a high level, just someone the team wants and it will all be cool. 5 years from now, college football will be vastly different. 

This describes a clear NCAA violation.  Deals are not allowed to be used as an enticement to enroll at any school.  Nor can any company participate in recruiting.  Only employees of the university who have passed a NCAA test can recruit (which makes you wonder if the statements of Deion Sanders that he helped recruit for Florida State when he was not employed by the school will be investigated).

Early report of NIL earnings were under $500.00.  That number was skewed because of a couple of very large deals (some of which probably were buss for the companies that paid out the large numbers).

Also both Miami (Fl) and BYU are under investigation for possible violations, although in the absence of NCAA rules on most NIL deals, I am not sure what of anything the NCAA can do about it.