Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Vantrease/McDuffie both enter transfer portal

11 hours ago, UBbulls8 said:

Last and final comment!!! When my son put his name in the Portal the 1st time he had over 20 offers including all but 2 power 5 program's… It’s was a very difficult(Extremely)decision and the two major factors pulling out was MO plus Buffalo isn’t just a program it’s HOME! However his DREAM is top level and playing in mid-major especially after watching what happened with (Koback) Toledo RB—- No invite to combine despite getting MVP in HULA BOWL( 4.39/40 and 38.9 vert. better than every RB but 2) made him rethink…It’s funny to me that ppl. think it’s okay for a coach to do what’s in his best interest but when a player does it a problem…. Primi Madonna GTFOH ask any of his teammates…having a chance to play for a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP is every high school player’s dream!!!! IF SOMEONE WALKED IN MO’S OFFICE WITH A OFFER TO BE THE HEAD COACH MICHIGAN HE WOULD BE GONE IN A HEARTBEAT!!!!! By the way he also have 8 more… ACC SEC BIG TEN AND  Pac 10 that not listed…. 

I have no issue with him looking for a better opportunity to get to the NFL, it's gonna suck if he makes it that it will list whatever the 1 year school was is listed as where he came from, but whatever. It's really just more of the timing, he should have just stayed in the portal, why come out? None of the points you made changed from the first time to now. I also have no delusion that Coach Mo is anything more than a rental. I'm really just more frustrated with the entire process and system. Mid-majors are just a minor league system, so I guess I just need to re-adjust my fandom to not care about any individual player or coach and just root for the team and whomever is on the field. He should also make a decision pretty soon since spring ball is underway and I would assume it would be good to know the system to get some significant PT.

I wish him the best, a combine invite and an NFL career.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 9:14 PM, UBbulls8 said:

Last and final comment!!! When my son put his name in the Portal the 1st time he had over 20 offers including all but 2 power 5 program's… It’s was a very difficult(Extremely)decision and the two major factors pulling out was MO plus Buffalo isn’t just a program it’s HOME! However his DREAM is top level and playing in mid-major especially after watching what happened with (Koback) Toledo RB—- No invite to combine despite getting MVP in HULA BOWL( 4.39/40 and 38.9 vert. better than every RB but 2) made him rethink…It’s funny to me that ppl. think it’s okay for a coach to do what’s in his best interest but when a player does it a problem…. Primi Madonna GTFOH ask any of his teammates…having a chance to play for a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP is every high school player’s dream!!!! IF SOMEONE WALKED IN MO’S OFFICE WITH A OFFER TO BE THE HEAD COACH MICHIGAN HE WOULD BE GONE IN A HEARTBEAT!!!!! By the way he also have 8 more… ACC SEC BIG TEN AND  Pac 10 that not listed…. 

I for one support players rights and their ability to leave whenever they want, but I have no idea what these comments mean, comparing the monetary value of what the coaches get ($$$ millions) moving to a Power 5 school verse what a player gets (free education) at both schools as the only tangible monetary value.

NFL combine invite potential...no monetary value, as all players go to Pro Days and have personal workouts.  The NFL finds players.  The combine is mainly a TV event for the NFL and ESPN.  Note:  MAC had 7 players at 2022 Combine.

NLI...monetary value for most players ($500 per year).

It would be more accurate if players said:  I want a bigger stage, more fans at games, better facilities, bigger bowls games, etc. , as I agree that stage, fans, etc. is an excellent reason to move on if you have the ability. 

Edited by Sportsfan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sportsfan said:

I for one support players rights and their ability to leave whenever they want, but I have no idea what these comments mean, comparing the monetary value of what the coaches get ($$$ millions) moving to a Power 5 school verse what a player gets (free education) at both schools as the only tangible monetary value.

NFL combine invite potential...no monetary value, as all players go to Pro Days and have personal workouts.  The NFL finds players.  The combine is mainly a TV event for the NFL and ESPN.  Note:  MAC had 7 players at 2022 Combine.

NLI...monetary value for most players ($500 per year).

It would be more accurate if players said:  I want a bigger stage, more fans at games, better facilities, bigger bowls games, etc. , as I agree that stage, fans, etc. is an excellent reason to move on if you have the ability. 

To your point, I would have much more respect for these guys if they just spoke the truth. No more Grace of God, bleed blue, this is my home, forever a bull, any of that. Just man up and say, “I’m better than this place, if I was surrounded by better players and better coaches, I would do things that will get me noticed.” I could appreciate that at least. It’s like telling someone I really love you, but I think we should see other people.

Kahlil Mack became a #5 pick based upon hard work and desire. He put up huge numbers in the conference he played in, but his domination as an individual against a quality opponent on national TV moved him from 2nd round/late 1st to top 5. Ohio St knew he was going to be a problem, schemed for him and he still beat them. You still have to bring it. JP works his ass off, his teammates know it, his coaches know it. Hopefully he has a solid NFL career. I sincerely believe Osbourne would still be doing what he’s doing if he went to Miami or not. Players are get opportunities and they have to seize it. There are hundreds of RBs with 3/4 year shelf life. Big time guys on the brand name teams fail regularly.

• Like 2

On 4/9/2022 at 1:08 PM, UBinMD said:

Kahlil Mack became a #5 pick based upon hard work and desire. He put up huge numbers in the conference he played in, but his domination as an individual against a quality opponent on national TV moved him from 2nd round/late 1st to top 5. Ohio St knew he was going to be a problem, schemed for him and he still beat them. You still have to bring it. JP works his ass off, his teammates know it, his coaches know it. Hopefully he has a solid NFL career. I sincerely believe Osbourne would still be doing what he’s doing if he went to Miami or not. Players are get opportunities and they have to seize it. There are hundreds of RBs with 3/4 year shelf life. Big time guys on the brand name teams fail regularly.

In the middle of all of mindless chatter during theNFL draft someone said something that actually made sense and explains the difference between Mack and Patterson.  They said if you are interested in a receiver or a defensive back do not watch film of them against a lousy opponent, watch them play against a top opponent to see what they can really do on the field.  Mack had his shot at Ohio State.  Patterson lost his shot at Ohio State because of COVID.  The NFL saw what Mack could do against the Big 10.  All they had with Patterson was the MAC.

Edited by BrooklynBull

9 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

In the middle of all of mindless chatter during theNFL draft someone said something that actually made sense and explains the difference between Mack and Patterson.  They said if you are interested in a receiver or a defensive back do not watch film of them against a lousy opponent, watch them play against a top opponent to see what they can really do on the field.  Mack had his shot at Ohio State.  Patterson lost his shot at Ohio State because of COVID.  The NFL saw what Mack could do against the Big 10.  All they had with Patterson was the MAC.

That’s a good point, JP never really got that stage, plus the RB position has lost glitter in the NFL. Very few big contracts for that position. Most teams are perfectly happy with a 2-3 man rotation (JP benefited from that at Washington) and have guys with different styles out there getting 50-75 yards each. Very few first round guys anymore and you figure you can get a mid-Major guy in the late rounds or as an UFA. RB shelf life is short, so it’s a rotational position.

On 4/9/2022 at 1:08 PM, UBinMD said:

Agree...the NFL finds players...doesn't matter what school you go to...they have scouts all over the place....once in (either drafted or free agent), you have your chance....only a very, very, very small percentage of players actually make it onto a active roster...heck, there are only 1,696 active each week (53*32) and the average NFL career is 3.3 years.  Maybe the USFL will stick around and open up some additional opportunities.

• Like 1

Greetings Bull fans form Statesboro/Savannah.  KVT is looking to be a good fit as we transition to more throwing on offense with QB's coming in that don't have his experience.  Loved visiting the city of Buffalo a few years back and it would be great to have a home/home or meet you guys in a Bowl game.  Just FYI, Atlanta is to Ga what NYC is to the (otherwise) great state of NY.  One big difference down here is we'll have 16k attend high school football games and Baseball is second to football.  Basketball isn't a big deal and obviously no hockey to compete for fans.  More people attend UGA games in Georgia than attend Bills games.  The Bills do have our good kicker in Tyler Bass.  Cheers! 

29 minutes ago, Eagles Cliff said:

Greetings Bull fans form Statesboro/Savannah.  KVT is looking to be a good fit as we transition to more throwing on offense with QB's coming in that don't have his experience.  Loved visiting the city of Buffalo a few years back and it would be great to have a home/home or meet you guys in a Bowl game.  Just FYI, Atlanta is to Ga what NYC is to the (otherwise) great state of NY.  One big difference down here is we'll have 16k attend high school football games and Baseball is second to football.  Basketball isn't a big deal and obviously no hockey to compete for fans.  More people attend UGA games in Georgia than attend Bills games.  The Bills do have our good kicker in Tyler Bass.  Cheers! 

I hope he does well for you. He was used mainly as a game manager for us and not a major passing offense since our running game has been traditionally strong. I think he can put up numbers with the right receiving corp. We will see if he can lead a more pass heavy offense if that is what your team tends to run. We will keep tabs on him, we always want our former players to succeed. 

Relatively speaking, when comparing the portal, we didn’t lose much and gain some good talent, so hopefully they all find healthier environments for themselves if that was their issue. Coming off a 4-8 season, nobody is irreplaceable.

The position dinners out and at the coaches house look brutal. I know there is more behind the scenes but from the outside it certainly seems like the staff is trying to put the players in positions to be successful and build the bonds you need to be a successful TEAM.

On 4/12/2022 at 1:59 PM, UBinMD said:

Relatively speaking, when comparing the portal, we didn’t lose much and gain some good talent, so hopefully they all find healthier environments for themselves if that was their issue. Coming off a 4-8 season, nobody is irreplaceable.

The position dinners out and at the coaches house look brutal. I know there is more behind the scenes but from the outside it certainly seems like the staff is trying to put the players in positions to be successful and build the bonds you need to be a successful TEAM.

"Look brutal" is an odd description. Can you explain?

21 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

A little surprised GT was the choice but I guess that may have offered the most PT? Hopefully he finally gets what he’s looking for.

Yea...agree, best wishes, but definitely not a school players dream of attending one day and winning a "National Championship". 

2 hours ago, Sportsfan said:

Yea...agree, best wishes, but definitely not a school players dream of attending one day and winning a "National Championship". 

The last RBs drafted out of Georgia Tech:

2011 - Anthony Allen - Baltimore Ravens

2010 - Jonathan Dwyer - Pittsburg Steeler

2008 - Tashard Choice - Dallas Cowboys

2006 - PJ Daniels - Baltimore Ravens

2004 - Jonathan Smith - Buffalo Bills

Not a rich history, but if he does get drafted, looks like the Ravens may be the favorite 🙂

• 4 months later...
11 hours ago, zigo230 said:

In other news, Vantrease is shredding Nebraska on National Tv, in Lincoln.

Very impressive by Georgia Southern.

Looks like McDuffie is stuff down on the depth chart at GT. Got a few garbage runs by the looks, but was 5 for 8 yards earlier in the game.

On 1/21/2022 at 3:24 PM, UBinMD said:

KVT is a poster boy for the program already!! Looks like a recruiting effort for transfers.

When I saw and read this in January, I sort of rolled my eyes and wondered why KVT would leave UB (and the MAC, where he has friends and family), to transfer to Georgia.  After all, he is from northeast Ohio, so having family watch that final season would likely be important.   

But maybe there was something to the  culture comments people have made later on in the thread and the perception of the MAC relative to the Sun Belt.  

I watched the UB vs Nebraska game last year and most of the Ga Southern vs Nebraska game last night.  

Ga Southern did not look out of place against Nebraska, while UB was sort of punching above its weight for the most part. 

I know that the marketing people help with these sort of things, but the language KVT used in the program poster, in retrospect, seems important.  Words like “felt like home” and “brotherhood” seem purposeful.  

Perhaps I am a bit late to the party, but I am more concerned than I was previously.  When LL took his FCS loss, he still had 100 wins and like 6 D3 championships to provide some confidence for the naysayers.  Coach Mo doesn’t have any of that and this can go south in a big, big hurry.  The one consolation is the fact that we play in the MAC conference.  

Let’s see what this next week brings.  

3 hours ago, UB92 said:

But maybe there was something to the  culture comments people have made later on in the thread and the perception of the MAC relative to the Sun Belt.   

The Sun Belt had a big day yesterday with Georgia Southern upset of Nebraska, Marshall knocking off ND, and App State over Texas A&M.  A far cry from the MAC’s showing with several blowouts and UB’s heart wrenching loss to an underdog. Seems SBC is getting more competitive while the MAC is going the opposite direction.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...