Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Officially Flagship

BrooklynBull

On 2/7/2022 at 1:27 PM, Gxtrex said:

I agree.  I live on Long Island and nothing is mentioned of them.  Even when they changed conferences, I only found out because of an alert on my phone.  No mention on sports talk radio.  I occasionally hear adds for St. Johns or Rutgers, but very few people talking about them either.  And they are way higher on the food chain than Stony Brook.

I don't disagree with any of what you say -- it is factual right now and has been for decades.

My point is that the odds are long for both UB and SBU, but there are certain things in SBU's favor that they could take advantage of that UB will never have access to.

If we are all still here, let's check back in 2032 to see how much closer SBU is to this.

On 2/7/2022 at 11:07 AM, BrooklynBull said:

The push to name the flagships campuses was because it is to help with getting research dollars and to expand support education.  It was not done for athletics.

Also UB has a better chance of getting the necessary support from the community than Stony Brook.  Stony Brook is not even a blip on the radar in the area.  UB is much more than a blip on the Western New York radar.

That would be unfortunate if athletics is not an integral part of the Governor/State/SUNY vision for flagship status.  In either chicken/egg $$ sequence (state/donors), the investment/funding to have a key alumni marketing program (athletics) not included in the equation would be shortsighted.

In a good sign, Mark Alnutt did mention he would provide the vision for the UB athletic department in the near future, so maybe that will be the foundation that the next 10 -15  years are framed off of for UB supporters to get aligned with, or maybe the vision is to be forever associated with the MAC, verse Big 12, ACC, Big 10.

Edited by Sportsfan