Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB. @ Western Michigan 1/11 at 7 pm

DocCas86

At this point I’ll take any conference win I can get. Especially on the road. It was a great final 15 minutes. We applied pressure defensively, made shots and moved the ball well.  We still need to be more consistent throughout the entire game. Still lots to improve on. Team is frustrating to watch bc we know what we are capable of. But we needed that win. Ball St on Friday will be tough. Keep getting better.

• Like 2

I guess it's hard to believe, but just because the first half happens first doesn't mean that it's more important or indicative than the second half.  The recency bias is startling sometimes. I like other guys filling in when Nate struggles, it will help us in the long run. Good win, Go Bulls.

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

It was a push on the spread 🤣

While I would agree we did not get the best of what we feel this team is capable of for the whole game, but the comps of Ohio win by 12 and Toledo adjusted to an away game win by 19, a 14 point win does hold up fairly well.

That said I still want more from this team, and the players / coaches should want more.   Goal is to get to NCAA tourney and they still have work to do to get to that level.

9 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

I guess it's hard to believe, but just because the first half happens first doesn't mean that it's more important or indicative than the second half.  The recency bias is startling sometimes. I like other guys filling in when Nate struggles, it will help us in the long run. Good win, Go Bulls.

Incorrect. Second half is definitely more important. That doesn’t mean the first isn’t. 

31 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

While I would agree we did not get the best of what we feel this team is capable of for the whole game, but the comps of Ohio win by 12 and Toledo adjusted to an away game win by 19, a 14 point win does hold up fairly well.

That said I still want more from this team, and the players / coaches should want more.   Goal is to get to NCAA tourney and they still have work to do to get to that level.

Toledo and Ohio had tight games today, so the MAC is wide open in my opinion 

1 hour ago, SGBull said:

Okay?

If you were watching WMU called off the dogs. They didn’t foul to extend the game. With about 25 seconds or so left Skogman laid the ball in off his own miss. Rather than pull the ball out and dribble out the clock those 2 points made it a push. Very consequential lay up for some. Just funny is all. That’s what he was referring to.

42 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Toledo and Ohio had tight games today, so the MAC is wide open in my opinion 

It’s wide open. But if we are doing in season power rankings I would say Ohio is the fav. Followed by Toledo. Obviously conference play is very young. But we need to continue to work hard and get better. Keep building. 

10 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Excellent 2nd half. Brewton was all over the D end, and nailed some shots. Good thing they didn't fire whitesell in the 1st half. Won by 14 on the road, I'll take it, even against a bad and shorthanded team.

Brewton was very active on D - 5 steals, 1 block.  Shooting streaky for his 12 points, but timing of two threes helped make lead more comfortable.  Good overall night from him.

11 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

If you were watching WMU called off the dogs. They didn’t foul to extend the game. With about 25 seconds or so left Skogman laid the ball in off his own miss. Rather than pull the ball out and dribble out the clock those 2 points made it a push. Very consequential lay up for some. Just funny is all. That’s what he was referring to.

I was watching but I made my original statement when we were going on a run in the second half.

Edited by SGBull
typo

12 hours ago, MuchMany said:

I guess it's hard to believe, but just because the first half happens first doesn't mean that it's more important or indicative than the second half.  The recency bias is startling sometimes.

So the second half is more indicative than the first -- but not because of recency bias?

The team won a basketball game -- that's a good thing.  We are all fans, which is why we are here on this site.  We want them to win games.  Whether they pushed the spread by a late layup after being behind at half, who cares at this point.  No one has any big expectations on this team anymore on the board -- they are who they are at this point.

However, we are only going to get Segu, Williams and Mballa for a little while longer.   Segu -- there will never be another one like him at UB who can dribble like he has and can.  Williams was our highest ranked recruit and, when right, is really hard to stop.  Mballa can be an offensive and defensive force on his best days that we will remember fondly.  Enjoy them while they are here.

Next year...instead of being 14 point road favorites against WMU, we could be 7 point home dogs.  Enjoy what we have now!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Good teams dictate tempo and pace. Good teams exert their dominance over lesser teams.

Agree

The team doesn't know how to do that and needs some help getting there

When the team pressed and picked up the other team in the back court all of a sudden the whole team defense became more aggressive and better overall

When this team plays with intensity and aggression I think only Ohio can play with them in the mac. The problem I see is that their attention and focus drift. Pressing and really playing defense the whole court against lesser teams looks like it would help

• Like 1

4 hours ago, clodney said:

Huh? Lamonte Bearden, Wes Clark, Shannon Evans, Turner Battle, Rodney Pierce?

Segu came here with a following because of his dribbling prowess.  That’s kind of what I meant.   Not to take anything away from the other guys, especially Bearden.  

5 hours ago, UB92 said:

The team won a basketball game -- that's a good thing.  We are all fans, which is why we are here on this site.  We want them to win games.  Whether they pushed the spread by a late layup after being behind at half, who cares at this point.  No one has any big expectations on this team anymore on the board -- they are who they are at this point.

However, we are only going to get Segu, Williams and Mballa for a little while longer.   Segu -- there will never be another one like him at UB who can dribble like he has and can.  Williams was our highest ranked recruit and, when right, is really hard to stop.  Mballa can be an offensive and defensive force on his best days that we will remember fondly.  Enjoy them while they are here.

Next year...instead of being 14 point road favorites against WMU, we could be 7 point home dogs.  Enjoy what we have now!

The expectations are MAC champions every year. Those expectations have been set by our championship teams.

21 hours ago, Ubbulls84 said:

I’ll take the win, but gotta stop having these horrific shooting performances. Jeenathan 3-14 is just unnaceptable and not the first time for him. Good teams will not let us back so easily. 

Bad shooting happens to every team from time to time. The problem is it seems like it happens to UB way too often. I’m not even sure if you can blame coaching on that, especially if they’re running plays and getting open shots. Have no clue why this happens so often with us

9 hours ago, Jeseph said:

So the second half is more indicative than the first -- but not because of recency bias?

Didn't say that, at all. Said the first isn't any more important or indicative. Some people watch the first half and if it isn't going well, they extrapolate that and expect the entire game to continue the same. 

4 hours ago, MKBullsfan said:

I know we brought this up before but do we even have a team next year? Honest question. What’s our starting 5 next season? It’s going to be brutal. 

I worry about next year when it’s time to worry about next year. My worry and focus is this year. And the team living up to its expectations. If we can win the MAC I think that extends our window and will be a recruiting chip in the off-season.

That said we have Jones, Blocker, Skogman, Perry and Mading all back. Hopefully a healthy Hardnett. Williamson (is he redshirting this year?). A recruit in Caesar coming in. Those guys all need to grow and develop. And there’s still work on the recruiting trail to be done. But the cupboard isn’t bare. 

Edited by DooleyBull06
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I worry about next year when it’s time to worry about next year. My worry and focus is this year. And the team living up to its expectations. If we can win the MAC I think that extends our window and will be a recruiting chip in the off-season.

That said we have Jones, Blocker, Skogman, Perry and Mading all back. Hopefully a healthy Hardnett. Williamson (is he redshirting this year?). A recruit in Caesar coming in. Those guys all need to grow and develop. And there’s still work on the recruiting trail to be done. But the cupboard isn’t bare. 

Those guys will also need to become a unit and may actually play a form of team basketball with plays and whatnot. Sometimes not having superstars makes for a more cohesive and well rounded unit. I'm glad to see Skogman and Jones getting meaningful minutes and building their confidence to be leaders next year. Hardnett could be a key cog in the wheel when he can become healthy. Caesar seems to be the real deal, but I don't think we want to pencil him in as a starter, but maybe 6th or 7th man. Hopefully we can pull in a couple more recruits or a transfer that can be slotted into the lineup.

I agree let's worry about this year and take care of business, but I think there will be a dip next year, but I don't think it will be a total rebuild with no hope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1