Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB @ Ball State 6pm

7 minutes ago, Chet said:

Absolutely not betting against them. But I'm not getting excited about a close win at Ball State. They were fortunate to win the game today. I don't think we have had a complete game all year although I think WKU was a nice road win.

Get use to it man. Pretty much every game is gonna be a grind for this team. It’s easy for me to say CMU next week at home should be a cake walk but I’m not that confident yet. Then after that the schedule gets real tough. In February it gets “easy” but nothing is easy for this team. The only reason this particular game was close was because of FTs. But a win is a win. And it’s progress. Part of time thinks 2 weekend ago we would’ve lost a game like this. 

Edited by DooleyBull06
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chet said:

Absolutely not betting against them. But I'm not getting excited about a close win at Ball State. They were fortunate to win the game today. I don't think we have had a complete game all year although I think WKU was a nice road win.

C'mon Chet, are you expecting 20 point wins every night? They've won 3 in a row. Take it and move forward. If they win the next 3 in a row in close fashion, will we still be hearing that you're not excited? Oats has lost 2 in a row and has lost to a MAAC team this year. Maybe he should be shown the door. Should we all be dancing in the streets after these wins, maybe not, but 3 wins in a row is 3 wins in a row. There should be some happiness/excitement with it. We've seen Skogman come of age in these 3 wins, along with Curtis being a viable option. Even Brewton, who people here hate, has had some good defensive stints over the last 2 games (less the poor foul at the end of today's game). That's 3 more options than we may have had over the first few games of the season. That's something to be excited about, combined with the "big 3" and a solid Jack, that's 7 options that I'm not afraid of having on the floor at any time in MAC play.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

C'mon Chet, are you expecting 20 point wins every night? They've won 3 in a row. Take it and move forward. If they win the next 3 in a row in close fashion, will we still be hearing that you're not excited? Oats has lost 2 in a row and has lost to a MAAC team this year. Maybe he should be shown the door. Should we all be dancing in the streets after these wins, maybe not, but 3 wins in a row is 3 wins in a row. There should be some happiness/excitement with it. We've seen Skogman come of age in these 3 wins, along with Curtis being a viable option. Even Brewton, who people here hate, has had some good defensive stints over the last 2 games (less the poor foul at the end of today's game). That's 3 more options than we may have had over the first few games of the season. That's something to be excited about, combined with the "big 3" and a solid Jack, that's 7 options that I'm not afraid of having on the floor at any time in MAC play.

Also want to highlight brewtons defense the past couple games. Its been very solid

Now to work on the offensive side of the game, which really is just getting him to calm down relax and trust his teammates 

7 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Also want to highlight brewtons defense the past couple games. Its been very solid

Now to work on the offensive side of the game, which really is just getting him to calm down relax and trust his teammates 

2-12 from the field. As you said he needs to slow down on the offensive end. He’s always in a rush to jack up a 3 and bricks it. Some shooters shoot confidently and some shoot to find confidence. He is the latter. He just needs to slow down.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

It feels like they are learning how to win. Winning close games builds for the future when things get harder in the MAC tournament and hopefully NCAA. Plenty to work on, but I don’t want them to peak in December anyway. I would prefer a steady increase and keeping the team engaged and not hearing how great they are with letdown games. Let’s keep the momentum. 2 road wins is good in any conference. Let’s keep it rolling. Go Bulls!!🤘🏻🤘🏻

2 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

The people reveling in the negativity have to slink away and wait for another day!

Others have stopped this stupid sort of fixation on this site…congrats to you, however, for continuing these same silly comments. 

401419435_Screenshot_20220115-0820462.thumb.png.728ff1d3dddd76d5bc480e1888da2df3.png

Here are key metrics for the Bulls through five games.  Offensively UB is performing near the top in conference.  Primary opportunity to improve is limit turnovers.  Where they need to improve is defensively.  Last night's game was their best performance in MAC so far. Hopefully something they can build upon.  I believe their best chance for success will be tied to playing tough D.

13 hours ago, Erie County said:

I'll take a win. but the best game of the season was WKU or BG easily. 

That was a bottom 250 team, metrics will go down after this one. 

Net rank and a few other ranking sites improved slightly.  Not big movement, but improvement rather than drop.

Still a gap between us and top two teams Toledo and Ohio....and we need to play better to be on par with them. I will take win after win.

2 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

401419435_Screenshot_20220115-0820462.thumb.png.728ff1d3dddd76d5bc480e1888da2df3.png

Here are key metrics for the Bulls through five games.  Offensively UB is performing near the top in conference.  Primary opportunity to improve is limit turnovers.  Where they need to improve is defensively.  Last night's game was their best performance in MAC so far. Hopefully something they can build upon.  I believe their best chance for success will be tied to playing tough D.

I love when metrics meet the eye test. You could tell watching the late 2nd half that this was our best defensive game. Specifically after ball st made a run in the 2nd half. The minute we stopped fouling or bad calls being made (perspective) Ball St had no offense. I think Mballa being on the floor was key. Just his presence and rebounding tightened us up defensively.

Going forward if this holds true we could be dangerous. Defense, rebounding and valuing the basketball should equal wins.

51 minutes ago, Erie County said:

I have them dropping to 110 on Kenpom (7 spots) 

Some moved up, massey and net rank...converging...not major changes either way...

I would reiterate I want the ranking to move up not status quo... So if that is your perspective, I agree a bigger win would have been preferred...but still good getting the win

Love to see the team stringing wins together again and seems like the team is building upon some successes and learning what works for them. Keep grinding and improving and we should be right in the mix in Cleveland. Also love to see the national coaching search has been called off for the moment!

31 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Love to see the team stringing wins together again and seems like the team is building upon some successes and learning what works for them. Keep grinding and improving and we should be right in the mix in Cleveland. Also love to see the national coaching search has been called off for the moment!

It is possible to both root for the team/want them to win every game....and also believe that the current coach is not the best to lead the team to the future.  Those are not mutually exclusive positions, but just keep banging that same bell, guy.  It is the same silly comments you (and a few others) continue to make.  I hope whatever pleasure you derived out of making that comment was worth it.  All it does (and I have mentioned this numerous time) is to alienate the fanbase.

1 hour ago, UB92 said:

It is possible to both root for the team/want them to win every game....and also believe that the current coach is not the best to lead the team to the future.  Those are not mutually exclusive positions, but just keep banging that same bell, guy.  It is the same silly comments you (and a few others) continue to make.  I hope whatever pleasure you derived out of making that comment was worth it.  All it does (and I have mentioned this numerous time) is to alienate the fanbase.

What exactly was said to alienate the fanbase?  Isn't there room in fanbase for some positivity?  The fanbase needs a little thicker skin, I think.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

What exactly was said to alienate the fanbase?  Isn't there room in fanbase for some positivity?  The fanbase needs a little thicker skin, I think.

I believe he was referring to the portion of the fanbase that wants JW to be fired regardless of success or failure.

19 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Nope, only allow to say that the staff should be fired, certain players suck, and there is no roster/recruiting going on. Even after 3 straight wins. Apparently UB has to be top 25 or bust. We all want to be undefeated,  play pretty, play against top notch opponents always. We got spoiled with the big run over those couple of seasons and now if we don't get that, we must "throw out the baby with the bath water". This team is good, analyze the whole season at the end and don't nitpick every little bump in the road, because every team gets them, it's how they respond that matters. We're at a mid major, not a blue blood, as much as we wish otherwise. It's not always going to be roses, unfortunately. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

I gathered that....was just not understanding how that alienates anyone.

Seems like throughout the world, everything alienates someone, somehow, even if it seems like the most innocuous thing you could think of. It any case, I'm loving the team improvement, the 3 straight wins and hope to take care of business against CMU. I'm also excited to see how we fair against Ohio and Toledo as our true litmus test. I think our guys will be up for those and I expect very competitive games (if my playing to your opponents level theory holds). Go Bulls!!🤘🤘

On 1/15/2022 at 5:33 AM, DocCas86 said:

After Saturday’s games, UB dropped to 3rd in adjusted offensive efficiency, and 9th for defense (both, in conference only games).  
I think it’s still a little early in the conference season, and believe these comparisons have plenty of room to move (in either direction). 

3rd in offense, against the 4th, 5th, 8th, 10th & 11th defenses.  

9th in defense, against the 1st, 4th, 6th, 8th and 12th offenses. 

edit: I should say, I always like conference comparisons… it just might be a little early to give this as much weight as in late February, obviously.  

Edited by 121Merrimac

1 hour ago, 121Merrimac said:

After Saturday’s games, UB dropped to 3rd in adjusted offensive efficiency, and 9th for defense (both, in conference only games).  
I think it’s still a little early in the conference season, and believe these comparisons have plenty of room to move (in either direction). 

3rd in offense, against the 4th, 5th, 8th, 10th & 11th defenses.  

9th in defense, against the 1st, 4th, 6th, 8th and 12th offenses. 

edit: I should say, I always like conference comparisons… it just might be a little early to give this as much weight as in late February, obviously.  

I agree too early and your bringing in the ranks of opponents important as well.  Was trying to highlight where team can improve.  I do feel they need to play better to be on par with Toledo and Ohio.

Edited by DocCas86
  • Like 1