Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Hurley and his Technicals

bullsbball

I was just wondering the other day if Bobby Hurley is still getting his Technicals for arguing with the officials. I did a quick search the past few games and found nothing.

But, then I came across this where he gets fined for arguing with the officials just a few days ago:

Article

And here are the few key moments:

Hurley Technical

Foul on 3-point shot

End of Game

He will never change. Arizona State's record is 6-10 and 2-4 in conference.

10 hours ago, bullsbball said:

I was just wondering the other day if Bobby Hurley is still getting his Technicals for arguing with the officials. I did a quick search the past few games and found nothing.

But, then I came across this where he gets fined for arguing with the officials just a few days ago:

Article

And here are the few key moments:

Hurley Technical

Foul on 3-point shot

End of Game

He will never change. Arizona State's record is 6-10 and 2-4 in conference.

I do agree that he will not change as that is in his DNA win or lose. Bringing up the officiating that more times than not is atrocious no matter what conference you watch there really is no accountability on their performance. Unless officials can learn from their mistakes and be held responsible there will never be any improvement. I do not want to hear they are just human and as in any profession if you don’t improve and learn from mistakes and strive to be better you should not be an official. You wonder how much the AD’s and president’s of schools have the courage to speak out about officiating. Why are coaches and players held accountable and not officials?? As much as things are ever changing in sports one thing that does not change is the state of officiating. I continue to enjoy all sports to watch these players give us great moments and have memories that will last a lifetime especially these last few years here at UB. Go Bulls!!

1 minute ago, Ubbulls84 said:

I’d take Hurley back in a second over Whitesell. He wouldnt tolerate this losing and garbage play…

Loved Hurley. Class guy all the way when not in the midst of a game. Crazy man during the game. He thought he was playing, unfortunately no one can see the game the way he can. 

He's not coming back. 

I still don't see this staff the way some of you do. Sorry, they're not Nate. He's not coming back either, but these guys aren't nearly as bad as you make them out to be...not by a longshot.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ubbulls84 said:

I’d take Hurley back in a second over Whitesell. He wouldnt tolerate this losing and garbage play…

It would create a lot more enthusiasm and excitement in the fan base for sure but unless a coach has the players the success will be hard. Do agree with his name he might be able to coax more good players here. It will always be an interesting discussion that with the same group of players that coaches like Hurley would be able to get them to play a better brand of basketball. Go Bulls!!!

I would cringe every time Hurley yelled at the officials in that he'd get another Technical at a crucial point in the game.  I don't have the numbers but he seemed to get T-ed up every few games. 

He just couldn't control his anger (at the officials) no matter how minor the "issue" he had with them. 

Is he any better now?

Arizona State hasn't been doing well the past 2 years. 17-25 overall and 9-16 in conference. 

I think his name isn't helping his recruiting (any more) especially if the team isn't winning.

Edited by bullsbball

7 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

How many fans want Bobby back?   I think they are

It would be better than what we have now.  If you think this year is a disappointment just wait until next year when we lose our seniors.  Don't worry, we will be back to the basement soon enough.

Here’s my take on Hurley. He was successful at UB because he was a bold hire at the time and he used his glory days at Duke to help bring in recruits. He was effective because he was at a mid-major and he was able to get middle of the road high major players. Once he got the coaching job at the high major school, he still recruited mid level high major players which no longer cut it at this high level where he’s at today.  So here he is today as an average coach with average recruits for his level at ASU. 

14 hours ago, MKBullsfan said:

Here’s my take on Hurley. He was successful at UB because he was a bold hire at the time and he used his glory days at Duke to help bring in recruits. He was effective because he was at a mid-major and he was able to get middle of the road high major players. Once he got the coaching job at the high major school, he still recruited mid level high major players which no longer cut it at this high level where he’s at today.  So here he is today as an average coach with average recruits for his level at ASU. 

Don't forget, "and he had Oats at his side".  That's likely a huge part of his success.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lederh94 said:

It would be better than what we have now.  If you think this year is a disappointment just wait until next year when we lose our seniors.  Don't worry, we will be back to the basement soon enough.

The sky is falling yet! It could depend on how our four youngsters in Jones, Mading, Blocker and Williamson along with any other recruits and of course if we can sign any JUCOS how the team could look.Let’s face it this year is turning into an adventure for both our men and women and not to mention Bona with all their starters returning don’t look good at all. Go Bulls!!!