Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Toledo 1/25/22

Bill

Wow, back and forth game between two of the top teams. One team has a poor 5 minute stretch and all of a sudden they're horrible and coach is called out. I really would love to know your accolades in sports to be able to critique the players and coaches. 

Yep, it was a stinker final 8 minutes, in every sense. Still doesn't mean the team and coach are trash, sorry.

Just now, Erie County said:

Rollins is what development looks like from recruiting (3 star), to freshman (14 ppg), to sophomore (20 ppg)

Jones 1PPG is nice, but thats gonna be a big challenge. 

Yeah, sort of like Segu or Williams' development from year one til now. Even Mballa went from a nobody (at another school) to DPOY last year.  

At 10:30 we were up 1 then we completely disappeared. We started jacking 3s instead of getting the ball down low. Segu 3-16. Williams disappeared for a stretch and we couldn’t manufacture post touches and points down low. Defense was non existent. And we fouled way too much. Hung tough and were toe to toe for 30 minutes then blown out the gym in the final 10.

• Like 1

Just now, DooleyBull06 said:

At 10:30 we were up 1 then we completely disappeared. We started jacking 3s instead of getting the ball down low. Segu 3-16. Williams disappeared for a stretch and we couldn’t manufacture post touches and points down low. Defense was non existent. And we fouled way too much. Hung tough and were toe to toe for 30 minutes then blown out the gym in the final 10.

You just described a team that is tired 

Need to do a better job keeping guys fresh

1 minute ago, DooleyBull06 said:

That pretty much sums it up for tonight.

1 minute ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Agreed. Poor final quarter. Effort was high at times (very high even), and disappeared for a step and paid for it, each time. 

• Like 1

Just now, Erie County said:

Exactly like Williams and Segu, the recruits under another coach. 

How about under this staff? What does next year look like? 

Skogman and 1PPG Jones? 

Worry about this year. Next year doesn't matter. With the portal as it stands, every year is a 1 year thing moving forward.

Fickle is one word for it. Weird game. Toledo was more intense and eventually we didn't return volley on the mini runs. We are a poor shooting team and that is not going to change before Cleveland. It's really a shame that our stopgap scoring wings Maceo and Brewton (and Gabe Grant, Antwain, etc) have consistently disappointed. For a team that relies on iso ball so much, we seriously lack 1-on-1 offensive skill. The coaches should be able to get some easier looks through x's and o's to help the team through the dry spells.

I wonder how often a team that attempts 16 more shots loses the game. Our offensive rebounding was ferocious tonight (takes a lot of missed shots unfortunately), and that needs to be the focus of our game plan if we're going to have any postseason success IMO.

We're not a poor team. An 11-point loss on the road to a 16-4 team is not "the state of the program." Toledo didn't have their A-game, but they are a strong group. I'm not afraid of them in the MACT though. We have not and likely will not live up to preseason #1 expectations. Still plenty to root for and a big puncher's chance in Cleveland.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

You just described a team that is tired 

Need to do a better job keeping guys fresh

I don’t disagree. Whitesell needs to be better with his rotation and buying guys minutes. A criticism I’ve had of his for his entire tenure. But my question becomes…our last game was 3 days ago at home…is that not enough rest time? Are we not trained to endure 40 minutes? Isn’t like we played yesterday. If that’s the case we will see a repeat of last year in Cleveland. If we make a championship game.

One other point…I wonder if Mballa is best served coming off the bench? Also maybe start Brewton over Jack? Thoughts?

13 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I don’t disagree. Whitesell needs to be better with his rotation and buying guys minutes. A criticism I’ve had of his for his entire tenure. But my question becomes…our last game was 3 days ago at home…is that not enough rest time? Are we not trained to endure 40 minutes? Isn’t like we played yesterday. If that’s the case we will see a repeat of last year in Cleveland. If we make a championship game.

One other point…I wonder if Mballa is best served coming off the bench? Also maybe start Brewton over Jack? Thoughts?

Jack has to be on the bench. That's the only option. 

Give Jones way more minutes and leave Jack there until he stops shooting. 

Just now, NYS Bulls said:

Jack has to be on the bench. That's the only option. 

Give Jones way more minutes and leave Jack there until he stops shooting. 

Problem with Jones over Jack is that then you have no one to spell Segu. Jones has to spell Segu. Brewton should probably start over Jack. And Mballa maybe should come off the bench. Play small ball to start. Space the floor with Skogman as the 5. Open lanes for Williams and Segu. It’s clear that Skogman’s growth is stunted by Mballa and vice versa when the two are on the floor at the same time.

Toledo has always fielded a team whose shooting has made up for their athleticism.  Can you honestly say this Toledo team was any better than the ones we have faced over the last 5 years? Watching them they didn’t look any better. We looked slower to react and worse on offense. We used to overpower these Toledo teams physically and now it’s barely even a factor. We have completely lost our identity and it’s really discouraging.

Just now, BasketBull said:

Toledo has always fielded a team whose shooting has made up for their athleticism.  Can you honestly say this Toledo team was any better than the ones we have faced over the last 5 years? Watching them they didn’t look any better. We looked slower to react and worse on offense. We used to overpower these Toledo teams physically and now it’s barely even a factor. We have completely lost our identity and it’s really discouraging.

They played extremely efficient.  They made their FTs and cashed in on their shots, especially down the stretch. They're far from unbeatable, but were the better team tonight over 40 minutes. They never seemed to stray from their game plan and it paid off. UB seemed to go "guns blazing" for stretches but then also were very flat footed during others. Toledo's consistency paid off tonight.

24 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I liked mballa off the bench the past couple games, one of the only guys that is a high energy guy on the team. Brewton should start over jack at this point 

Tonight the one announcer made a point of being surprised by how deep Toledo was going into their bench so early in the first half. It's like an opposing teams game plan right now is to wait out buffalo 

I've always like teams that go deep in the first 10 minutes or so of each game and kind of shrink the rotation as needed as the game goes on 

A lot of great points on here. Like everyone else I’m frustrated by the inconsistency of this team. But tonight we lost on the road to hands down the best team in the MAC so far this year. And while our shooting wasn’t great it wasn’t terrible, as we hit our average 33% from 3 and well above our average from the FT line. Tonight it was about too many missed opportunities in the paint (including 2 missed dunks by Mballa), and a 13 point disadvantage at the FT line. Also, hard to win when 3 of your starters shoot a combined 12/43 (28%) including 2/10 from 3.  Rest of the team shot 15/30. Good to see Mballa hitting the boards hard but he hasn’t been the same scoring threat for most of the season. Big game Friday night to try and right the ship vs Ohio. GO BULLS!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

My thoughts:

Best case scenario we can hope for is to somehow finish in a seeding that will prevent us from playing Toledo until a MAC final. While hoping for a matchup of Ohio vs Toledo in a semi. Which just typing that…seems unlikely. Seems like we are headed down a path of having to play both Ohio and Toledo in some order just to win the tournament.

The Bulls could have a matchup order of Miami/Akron - Ohio/Toledo- Ohio/Toledo path. 

They haven't beaten one of them, let alone three in three days. 

I had them at 23-8 preseason. 

Right now they are projected 18-11 (12-7) and the most likely 4 seed.