Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Brandon Bailey - New DC

squad1321

1 minute ago, ub2019 said:

Pretty big step up. He has been a graduate assistant at Texas A&M since 2019 and was previously a grad assistant at Tulane from 2016-2018.  

Risk/Reward situation here. Certainly someone that Mo can push his vision on and they likely have similar approaches. I just hope it fits our players and the new players coming in. One issue with our team last year (by my eye test) is we may have been running a system we didn't have the horses to be successful in. Exciting changes along with the RB course. In Mo We Trust!! 🤘🏼🤘🏼

• Like 1

Here’s my issue with this. If Bailey was held in high regard, and everyone keeps saying he was a big understudy of Mike Elko, than why didn’t Elko take Bailey with him to Duke. I’m not even talking as a DC but I would think that if he was that good that Elko would have brought him on as a position coach on his staff. It’s not like Bailey had a comparable job at A&M 

25 minutes ago, Eagles1105 said:

Here’s my issue with this. If Bailey was held in high regard, and everyone keeps saying he was a big understudy of Mike Elko, than why didn’t Elko take Bailey with him to Duke. I’m not even talking as a DC but I would think that if he was that good that Elko would have brought him on as a position coach on his staff. It’s not like Bailey had a comparable job at A&M 

Seems like a big leap in responsibility to me. Maybe Elkin knew Mo was offering something better. Plus Duke football isn’t that awesome 

14 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Seems like a big leap in responsibility to me. Maybe Elkin knew Mo was offering something better. Plus Duke football isn’t that awesome 

So your saying to me that he knew Elko was getting a job, not taking Bailey with him and then decided to wait a month to fire Cauthen because why. There was competition for Bailey? I think that’s highly unlikely. What I think it happening is Linguist wanted to call the defense and hired a young guy to do all the leg work for him and gave him that title, otherwise it doesn’t make sense. If Bailey is some wunderkid football coach then Elko would be the one who knew it and would have for sure taken him to Duke

3 minutes ago, Eagles1105 said:

So your saying to me that he knew Elko was getting a job, not taking Bailey with him and then decided to wait a month to fire Cauthen because why. There was competition for Bailey? I think that’s highly unlikely. What I think it happening is Linguist wanted to call the defense and hired a young guy to do all the leg work for him and gave him that title, otherwise it doesn’t make sense. If Bailey is some wunderkid football coach then Elko would be the one who knew it and would have for sure taken him to Duke

I think a lot of conversations happen behind the scenes, Elkin likes Bailey but isn't willing to put his nuts in a vice promoting him too far up the food chain at Duke, has a conversation with Mo about Bailey being an up and comer, giving him a future branch on his coaching tree. Mo wants more control of the D and hires a young guy, like you say, that can be convinced to do things the way he wants them done. I'm sure Mo was embarrassed about the performance of the D, especially at the end of the season and that it was our secondary as the biggest issue. If he goes down, he wants to go down swinging in charge of his own D. Pure speculation on my part, but there are a lot of back channel conversations among guys that have know each other intimately for years working the back channels of football programs and relationships get built.