Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Eastern Michigan @7 Part IX

4 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

For the third straight night, the game will be available on Directv.  Tonight channel 789.

Beats streaming the game.

Nice that a lot of the women’s games can be picked up on some channels. Looking forward to a big win tonight against an EMU team that is struggling and only 2-9 in conference. HAVE lost five out of six but most of the games have been close with no big blow outs. They have three good players averaging 18, 12,11 with decent size with all 5’10 -6’0. We will need to continue our rebounding energy and play a good defensive game from start to finish. Hope to see more of Wilson tonight with her rebounding strength. Go Bulls!!!

Fun game from the women (as usual). Fair was on fire and we got to see some old faces on the floor again in Gaba, Young and even Paea. Ade was back in uniform, so hopefully she'll be back by the end as well. Wooley struggled with some turnovers, but matched them with 6 steals. This team has it all and can beat anyone at anytime. Hopefully they continue to roll and get the better of the Toledo rematch in Cleveland. 

UB put out the lineup of 0-1-2-3-4 at one point, similar to the men's 1-2-3-4-5 of a few years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skrabukes said:

Fun game from the women (as usual). Fair was on fire and we got to see some old faces on the floor again in Gaba, Young and even Paea. Ade was back in uniform, so hopefully she'll be back by the end as well. Wooley struggled with some turnovers, but matched them with 6 steals. This team has it all and can beat anyone at anytime. Hopefully they continue to roll and get the better of the Toledo rematch in Cleveland. 

UB put out the lineup of 0-1-2-3-4 at one point, similar to the men's 1-2-3-4-5 of a few years ago.

Yes it was a good win on many fronts. Even though EMU overall is not a good team they always play an uptempo game and have many players with very good quickness and athleticism. The first half was a struggle for us handling their quickness on both ends of the floor. We were only up one point until the last minute when Fair I think hit two three’s and the last one almost from  half court. Overall UB did not have  the quickness down low in Gaba, Wilson and Christie and struggled on both ends of the floor. UB really adapted in the 2nd half and both Hemphill and Woolley were much better on the boards as EMU started to miss shots. Woolley continues to be a force offensively but where she continues to improve is on the defensive end with her anticipation resulting in many steals and shows high basketball IQ that in many cases can’t be taught. Fair was sensational with her shot selection and looked like many of her games last year especially on her three’s. It will be fascinating to see how Coach Jack tries to incorporate the players playing time now that we have most of our bench back. The whole key is to not lose the continuity of play and still win games that will become tougher down the stretch.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

I hope we appreciate this women's team. They are one of the best UB ever had and hopefully will make some noise in the post-season. (A nice send-off for FLJ and likely half this roster.)

Do agree. Hope against hope but with how bad Syracuse is this year with losing record overall and terrible in conference together with losing around six seniors it looks like a total rebuild for them from coach to entire roster. If Jack goes the big question will be I can she recruit some top players with more than her name recognition. Go Bulls!!

5 minutes ago, John said:

Do agree. Hope against hope but with how bad Syracuse is this year with losing record overall and terrible in conference together with losing around six seniors it looks like a total rebuild for them from coach to entire roster. If Jack goes the big question will be I can she recruit some top players with more than her name recognition. Go Bulls!!

I'm more worried about FLJ taking the top half of the Bulls roster with her. 

17 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

I'm more worried about FLJ taking the top half of the Bulls roster with her. 

Yes I would agree. I didn’t mention players because of what that would do to the roster. I would think Fair and Woolley would go but not sure of any other player. Especially with Syracuse losing over half of their roster would Jack want to bring in more of her players that are familiar with her style?? But again the ACC does play a different style of play with many more talented and athletic type players!! As stated before we have to enjoy this team and don’t plan on missing another game to especially see two talented players like Fair and Woolley along with some of the other players. I mention Camp also who has become a more rounded player since she has become more involved in the offensive strategy. Go Bulls!!!!

If FLJ leaves for Cuse, so be it...she has more than earned an opportunity in a power conference if she so chooses.

I understand the taking half the roster concern, but in thinking about it for months now, it would be somewhat shocking to me if FLJ totally left the cupboard completely bare and essentially tore down what she has built here in an instant.

Fair going to Cuse for a year, yes I can see that to potentially improve draft stock playing against more ranked opponents, but players like Woolley, Wilson, etc would be a real disappointment to lose.

I can't say it would ruin the legacy of FLJ for me but it would sure leave a sour taste if most of the roster left with her.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TML1000 said:

If FLJ leaves for Cuse, so be it...she has more than earned an opportunity in a power conference if she so chooses.

I understand the taking half the roster concern, but in thinking about it for months now, it would be somewhat shocking to me if FLJ totally left the cupboard completely bare and essentially tore down what she has built here in an instant.

Fair going to Cuse for a year, yes I can see that to potentially improve draft stock playing against more ranked opponents, but players like Woolley, Wilson, etc would be a real disappointment to lose.

I can't say it would ruin the legacy of FLJ for me but it would sure leave a sour taste if most of the roster left with her.

It feels like she has been grooming her successor so I’m thinking Fair and Woolley go, the rest stay.

Lets hope for a great ride the next 2 months and get back to the Sweet 16!

My two cents on this topic that has gotten away from yesterday's game and I have no inside information, just a gut feeling.  Coach Jack is not going to Syracuse and she knows it.  If she thought that she was going to go Syracuse she would not have signed Donovan McNabb's daughter.

Leaving and taking players is always ugly.  Why would Coach Jack want to put the daughter of a fellow Orange through all of that BS , when she could have just said do not sign.  You can sign later and follow me if/when I leave after this next season or sign when I stay.

As George Allen said, the future is now and now means getting ready to beat Northern Illinois on the road, never any easy task for UB.

14 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

My two cents on this topic that has gotten away from yesterday's game and I have no inside information, just a gut feeling.  Coach Jack is not going to Syracuse and she knows it.  If she thought that she was going to go Syracuse she would not have signed Donovan McNabb's daughter.

Leaving and taking players is always ugly.  Why would Coach Jack want to put the daughter of a fellow Orange through all of that BS , when she could have just said do not sign.  You can sign later and follow me if/when I leave after this next season or sign when I stay.

As George Allen said, the future is now and now means getting ready to beat Northern Illinois on the road, never any easy task for UB.

Look at when Nate left, our recruits imploded and we released every one of them. In this day and age, it doesn't matter. A commitment is worth nothing until the player steps foot on campus. I have not doubt McNabb could get out of it and end up at SU without a problem without penalty for loss of a season.

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

Look at when Nate left, our recruits imploded and we released every one of them. In this day and age, it doesn't matter. A commitment is worth nothing until the player steps foot on campus. I have not doubt McNabb could get out of it and end up at SU without a problem without penalty for loss of a season.

Do agree it does seem in this day and age of basketball coaches leave/get fired sometimes after only a few years and players with the transfer portal and just leaving because of other reasons there is no stability. On another note with UCONN’s loss in conference last night and more injuries and absences our local player DeBarry again did not even get into the game!! I keep wondering if she will want out of UCONN and fantasizing how she would of been in a program like UB. We can always hope that with Summer graduating maybe DeBarry would want to come home to play. Go Bulls!!!

3 hours ago, John said:

Do agree it does seem in this day and age of basketball coaches leave/get fired sometimes after only a few years and players with the transfer portal and just leaving because of other reasons there is no stability. On another note with UCONN’s loss in conference last night and more injuries and absences our local player DeBarry again did not even get into the game!! I keep wondering if she will want out of UCONN and fantasizing how she would of been in a program like UB. We can always hope that with Summer graduating maybe DeBarry would want to come home to play. Go Bulls!!!

I would love to see her in a UB uniform. Better than rotting on the bench, even if it is UConn

6 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

As a longtime fan of McNabb, it would be great to see him (a HOF’er IMHO) in the stands at some UB games next year.  But I can’t help thinking the SU connection and the possibility (speculation) of Coach Jack eventually winding up back there, is a big part of why she chose UB and would naturally go with Coach to ‘Cuse if she got the opportunity. Which would definitely suck for UB, but I couldn’t blame either one of them if it came to that. Here’s hoping it doesn’t.  Go Bulls! 🤘

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

I would love to see her in a UB uniform. Better than rotting on the bench, even if it is UConn

So crazy how the recruiting process must be for these players and how the coaches try and sell their program to these young players. Who do these girls listen to when making a decision that really affects their entire college experience. It must be such a roller coaster for the and how can they be truly objective if they only listen to coaches that are selling their school??  I would think that is why so many players decide to change schools during their college careers. Their are probably 100’s or more that end up at other schools to not only get their degrees but to play a game they love and truly want to play and not sit on the bench their denture career. Go Bulls!!

On 2/10/2022 at 6:58 PM, UBinMD said:

I will get off this rant but I guess really not knowing what is going on at UCONN here is my two cents. UCONN beat DePaul by 26 and DeBarry played one minute!! What a waste of a talented player and a wasted opportunity for our local fans to see a local player play at home. Both the Parker women are playing major minutes at Niagara and also another local player at Canisius and more local girls have signed locally for next year. Will be here the rest of the year in my total support for our UB teams and let the chips fall where they will on any of our local girls that decide to sign out of state. Go Bulls!!!

On 2/10/2022 at 1:06 PM, BrooklynBull said:

Means nothing.

On 2/10/2022 at 1:07 PM, ChubbyHubby said:

Would almost certaing lose a top recruit as well.  McNabb would go to Cuse with FLJ.  I really think that was the plan all along.

I agree.  Players are gonna follow coach.

13 hours ago, promotherobot said:

Means nothing.

I agree.  Players are gonna follow coach.

If FLJ gets offered double/triple her salary and if she thinks she can take some of her star players with her and being her alma mater and especially with Syracuse graduating and least six players how can she turn it down?? Go Bulls!!!

1 hour ago, John said:

If FLJ gets offered double/triple her salary and if she thinks she can take some of her star players with her and being her alma mater and especially with Syracuse graduating and least six players how can she turn it down?? Go Bulls!!!

That's why I'm resigned to it. She put in her time at Buffalo. But it will gut the program.

On 2/12/2022 at 4:42 PM, squire17 said:

What worries me most is if FLJ bolts, home game attendance will plummet.

That would be inevitable, IMHO. The return of fans would depend on who replaces FLJ. Does anyone here have the inside track to the ADs office? I would assume someone there is at least exploring potential replacement coaches, although the pool of quality coaches should expand after the tournament is over.

Edited by DoctorBe
Typo