Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Ball State/UB Saturday

John

Will be another good test for us to see if we can play with the same intensity and energy. Ball State has four players averaging from 15 to 11 points with two players at 6’9 and 6’8. Their last two games they beat Toledo and lost to Central Michigan. The Central game was a heartbreaker as they gave up a 3 pointer with six seconds to go to tie then lost in overtime. From their comments after the game their players know they can play better and are determined to beat UB. Hope we have our game faces on and see a big enthusiastic crowd. Go Bulls!!!

17 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

A game we will be favored in. At home. A game we should win. A sneaky big game for seeding/tiebreak purposes. Tougher opponent than EMU so a good home test. Nonetheless we should win. Keep the win streak going.

Agree. Ball State always seems to give us a tough game and they can shoot the 3 as well as any team in the MAC.  But they also give up 77+ ppg and don’t rebound as well as UB.  I’d love to see Jack stay hot and for Segu to find his stroke, been a rough last few games for him shooting the 3.  Also like to see UB as a team get to the FT line a little more…kind of incredible that we scored 102 pts vs EMU while only taking 8 foul shots. Go Bulls! 🤘

3 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

Agree. Ball State always seems to give us a tough game

On further review, over the past 5 seasons UB is 6-1 with +80 pt differential vs Ball State, including 5 double-digit wins and 3 by 20+. Ball has only given UB a tough game twice in their last 7 tries….this season’s 6-Pt win @ Ball and a 20-Pt loss @ Ball during the ‘19-20 season. All that being said, they should not be taken lightly, and we just need a W of any kind on Saturday.

21 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

On further review, over the past 5 seasons UB is 6-1 with +80 pt differential vs Ball State, including 5 double-digit wins and 3 by 20+. Ball has only given UB a tough game twice in their last 7 tries….this season’s 6-Pt win @ Ball and a 20-Pt loss @ Ball during the ‘19-20 season. All that being said, they should not be taken lightly, and we just need a W of any kind on Saturday.

Agree. Any win will do at this time of the season. The key will be can we have something close to our last two games and get contributions from all our players and I mean all our players. Can Jack and Mballa give us the same kind of effort and energy??

If this team plays to their potential, they can breeze through the MAC. It's a long season and it hasn't been pretty, but they finally flashed on Tuesday. It was impressive.

This team isn't short on talent, but we shall see which team shows up.....the one that got beaten badly by Ohio or the one that beat Eastern Michigan by 38. 

Go Bulls!

8 hours ago, John said:

Agree. Any win will do at this time of the season. The key will be can we have something close to our last two games and get contributions from all our players and I mean all our players. Can Jack and Mballa give us the same kind of effort and energy??

That was great to see against EMU.  If they contribute consistently down the stretch, the Bulls are going to be tough to beat.

10 hours ago, Chet said:

If this team plays to their potential, they can breeze through the MAC. It's a long season and it hasn't been pretty, but they finally flashed on Tuesday. It was impressive.

This team isn't short on talent, but we shall see which team shows up.....the one that got beaten badly by Ohio or the one that beat Eastern Michigan by 38. 

Go Bulls!

The one thing I really liked about JW post-game interview, beyond the shoutout to the students and crowd enthusiasm, was that he said the team was "humbled" during their stretch after the Ohio/Toledo games. Maybe that is indeed what happened. These guys definitely have a different on-court mentality these last couple of games and I really like it. I hope it continues. Go Bulls!!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

The one thing I really liked about JW post-game interview, beyond the shoutout to the students and crowd enthusiasm, was that he said the team was "humbled" during their stretch after the Ohio/Toledo games. Maybe that is indeed what happened. These guys definitely have a different on-court mentality these last couple of games and I really like it. I hope it continues. Go Bulls!!

The Bulls performances in the two games are among the most lopsided wins this season vs CMU and EMU.  Definitely like to see that carry over for the remainder of season.

image.png.4420cc8b3367149fd98fa29306f1e0bb.png

I tweeted this the other day and believe there’s some relevancy to this:

Toledo is the top team in the MAC. All of the metrics support this. They’re 3-0 against Ohio and UB.

The Bobcats are the most consistent team though. They rarely elevate or play down to their competition. They’re consistent and a top 80-110 team.

Buffalo is the wildcard. They have the ability to be the best team in the MAC but they’re also capable of losing to teams like Miami. I believe it’ll be one of these three teams that wins it all in Cleveland.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

I tweeted this the other day and believe there’s some relevancy to this:

Toledo is the top team in the MAC. All of the metrics support this. They’re 3-0 against Ohio and UB.

The Bobcats are the most consistent team though. They rarely elevate or play down to their competition. They’re consistent and a top 80-110 team.

Buffalo is the wildcard. They have the ability to be the best team in the MAC but they’re also capable of losing to teams like Miami. I believe it’ll be one of these three teams that wins it all in Cleveland.

Can't argue with this.  Let's hope they are clicking come March!

Edited by DocCas86
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Erie County said:

Akron has the tiebreaker and an easy schedule. 

UB needed to actually beat some of the top teams to have a chance at the top 3. 

They are destined for the 4 seed

No doubt we didn’t help ourselves by losing to Akron and especially Miami. Akron still has a game @ Ohio, other than that I don’t see another L in their future but in the MAC you can’t count on anything. If UB loses one more then yes, any hope for the 3 is slim to none. Just got to keep it going and peak at the right time.

1 hour ago, Erie County said:

Akron has the tiebreaker and an easy schedule. 

UB needed to actually beat some of the top teams to have a chance at the top 3. 

They are destined for the 4 seed

Was reading this earlier, but with it looking like Buffalo will only play 19 conference games this year, there actually are no tiebreakers against Akron or Kent, or Toledo or Ohio for that matter.  Those schools are all going to play 20 games, so Buffalo's winning percentage will be different regardless.  They might get screwed by a half a game or they might screw say a Kent or Akron by a half a game.

This is what the MAC has decided by rescheduling every game except for two (CMU at UB, Ball State at CMU)

As a side note: I feel bad that our fans get screwed out of a game because the MAC had no problem re-arranging three roads games for Buffalo (Akron, EMU, NIU), but they couldn't help reschedule one home game.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BullBoy said:

Was reading this earlier, but with it looking like Buffalo will only play 19 conference games this year, there actually are no tiebreakers against Akron or Kent, or Toledo or Ohio for that matter.  Those schools are all going to play 20 games, so Buffalo's winning percentage will be different regardless.  They might get screwed by a half a game or they might screw say a Kent or Akron by a half a game.

This is what the MAC has decided by rescheduling every game except for two (CMU at UB, Ball State at CMU)

As a side note: I feel bad that our fans get screwed out of a game because the MAC had no problem re-arranging three roads games for Buffalo (Akron, EMU, NIU), but they couldn't help reschedule one home game.

Yep, lost 2 home games this year (UC Irvine and CMU) in an already thin home schedule.