Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo/Miami-OH 2/22

UBinMD

2 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

This is literal definition of a locker room lol. I don’t like that our scouting reports are public. 

Good point. But now that they are, does anyone with better eyes and some coaching experience see anything interesting? 40 action? Staggers? Pin corners? Looks like we had a whole sheet dedicated to covering Lary and Grant, so their output wasn't for lack of prep.

3 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Good point. But now that they are, does anyone with better eyes and some coaching experience see anything interesting? 40 action? Staggers? Pin corners? Looks like we had a whole sheet dedicated to covering Lary and Grant, so their output wasn't for lack of prep.

I'm surprised this staff even prepped at all. Just figured they rolled the balls out there and had a good seat for the games.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DocCas86 said:

Is it just me, or did Miami just play like the team that was ranked around 130, that beat GaTech, and almost beat Cincy and Toledo?

Glad to get out of there with the win.

You mean D1 athletes went out and competed hard for 40 minutes? Novel idea

Those dudes made some killer shots in the 2nd half. I'm glad we won't see them again, although I'd take it if we did, because then one of the top seeds would've been knocked off by them! That team always shows a lot of pride. If only Charlie Coles was around still. Damn is he missed or what? FUN times when he was there, never a dull moment.

Best post gamer ever, other than "no goddamn socks" from Dakich. Youtube "Charlie Coles Kentucky" ( can't seem to post the link)

11 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Is it just me, or did Miami just play like the team that was ranked around 130, that beat GaTech, and almost beat Cincy and Toledo?

Glad to get out of there with the win.

They have Toledo next, hopefully they bring the circus to town for that game too!

34 minutes ago, Erie County said:

Thats 4! Can we go for 5?????? Over under is 4.5

Remember:   You have the power to ignore any poster if you want.   

Think about it - from your perspective  there may be people on this board that have great insights and contribute positively…and there may be others who you feel contribute in a negative way.   And yet you read all of them.  

Your time is valuable.  Don’t give it to people who aren’t worth it.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

This is like clockwork on ubfan. Every single game Erie County goes off on an irrational tirade against Whitesell and then a handful of uber-defensive Whitesell defenders start claiming the entire message board is in "full meltdown". Then at the end of the game whoever wins starts gloating like an asshole while the loser disappears. Let's just focus on what's at hand and quit the dumb arguments.

We have obviously taken a step forward over the past few weeks but honestly the jury is still out on whether or not this team is any good. We still don't know if they can beat top teams and more importantly we haven't seen the consistency to indicate that they could string multiple big wins together. The March games against Toledo and Kent will give us a better idea about our chances in the MAC tourney. It's encouraging winning against the bottom feeders but I still have very little faith that we can win the conference until we beat some of the top teams. Onward and upward.

• Sad 1

Conference wins aren't always pretty.  Especially conference wins on the road.  And ESPECIALLY against a team like Miami that's been our Bulls' kryptonite lately.  Basketball is a game of runs - UB had a couple, then Miami fought back with foul shots and 3's.  But these Bulls didn't fold at the end, they put the ball in the hands of their playmakers and hit the shot.  Credit to them for keeping their cool and for seeing this one out.  

Edited by enrique14150
  • Like 3

Rather than view everything as black and white - maybe understand that many of us think Whitesell isn’t the greatest coach on the planet and all evidence points to him not taking us to the next level. But he’s certainly not the worst and we’ve got a pretty good squad this year. 

Also, I don’t think people understand the toll so many games in such a short period of time takes on the body. Especially long bus trips to Miami (and now another long bus trip today to NIU). I enjoyed the dub!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, clodney said:

We have obviously taken a step forward over the past few weeks but honestly the jury is still out on whether or not this team is any good. We still don't know if they can beat top teams and more importantly we haven't seen the consistency to indicate that they could string multiple big wins together. The March games against Toledo and Kent will give us a better idea about our chances in the MAC tourney. It's encouraging winning against the bottom feeders but I still have very little faith that we can win the conference until we beat some of the top teams. Onward and upward.

I agree that their is still work to be done.  If team can find a way to go 4-0, not only does it improve our seeding, it shows they are capable of competing against top teams.  I would say winning 7 in a row even against bottom feeders is no small accomplishment.  The starting five has settled in offensively.  As it has been pointed out shorter benches are likely in Cleveland, if they have the stamina left after the tough stretch to end season, I like the team's chances.

Nine page game thread for a mid- week road test.  That’s a good thing, overall. 

At this point in the season, it is just win.  I don’t care if it takes a Williams bucket at the end, whether we win by 40 or by 1, whether Mballa takes a 3 or not, good game flows or lots of horizontal lines, too many turnovers, missed foul shots, Brewton playing, another Skogman perfect game, Whitesell being animated or not, positive or negative posters, locker room photos or IG posts.  Just win and move on.  Battle every game.  

Go Bulls. 

1 hour ago, DaBulls99 said:

Rather than view everything as black and white - maybe understand that many of us think Whitesell isn’t the greatest coach on the planet and all evidence points to him not taking us to the next level. But he’s certainly not the worst and we’ve got a pretty good squad this year. 

Also, I don’t think people understand the toll so many games in such a short period of time takes on the body. Especially long bus trips to Miami (and now another long bus trip today to NIU). I enjoyed the dub!

Except, they flew.

11 hours ago, skrabukes said:

I'm just glad whitesell was there. None of the other coaches were there evidently. Probably at the concession stand or something!

I guess he remembered to set his alarm clock for a change.

3 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

How many times does this need to be said before everyone stops calling each other trolls?

lol

Go Bulls

1 hour ago, BrooklynBull said:

Except, they flew.

They deserve a plane ride. Since 2/5/22 they have played 7 games (in 17 days, or 1 game every 2.4 days). In that time, they topped 80 in 6 of 7 games and over 100 twice. 4 of those games were on the road as well. If I'm on the jury, I'm sold. Hopefully they stay consistent and take it with them to Cleveland. Either way, I am impressed with this stretch of games.

To the 2 that are constantly bickering on here.  You both make very valid points concerning the team, and I'm sure that everyone on here appreciates that.  I know I appreciate the insights that you both share regarding a game.  I'm also pretty certain that everyone on here is pretty sick of the constant poking back and forth that has gone on now for a while.  It was comical at first.  Now it's annoying.  I know I shouldn't be speaking for everyone, but I have a feeling...

Edited by ChubbyHubby

4 minutes ago, Erie County said:

I actually agree with you. I just post what I see happening or feel happening during a game. It's never a comment to dunk on anyone. There were literally 4 posts in this same thread posted toward me as a "TOLD YA SO" fashion. I'm here to talk about basketball, specifically this basketball team.

In my opinion (in honor of BSF) as someone who doesn't post during the games but reads it after the game, there are a lot of observations:

1.  It is true -- you see the glass less than half full almost all the time (even when it is half full).  All games have ebbs and flows.  It is a known that the bench is weak and there will be ebbs when they are in -- and flat lines on the game flow, but the starters can't play 40 minutes.

2.  There are some rose-colored glasses posters here during the game threads, that's for sure.  And they go out of their way to comment positively on certain aspects...perhaps they see the glass as 3/4 full (or more) when it is half full.  

3.  You are 100% right about the "Told Ya So" posts from some (typically one, but sometimes more than that) individuals.  That has been happening all season, though.  It's what they do.  With this 7 game win streak (that, I know, we all are happy about), that individual (those individuals) are out in full throat.    Once again, the "ignored users" option has been a great addition to this site.  

4.   There is a huge common ground that most posters have, but it seems that the disagreements (albeit small) are the ones that run the narrative.

5.  At least there is alot of action during the game threads. That's a positive.  Perhaps it can be less combatitive, however.

Go Bulls!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, UB92 said:

In my opinion (in honor of BSF) as someone who doesn't post during the games but reads it after the game, there are a lot of observations:

1.  It is true -- you see the glass less than half full almost all the time (even when it is half full).  All games have ebbs and flows.  It is a known that the bench is weak and there will be ebbs when they are in -- and flat lines on the game flow, but the starters can't play 40 minutes.

2.  There are some rose-colored glasses posters here during the game threads, that's for sure.  And they go out of their way to comment positively on certain aspects...perhaps they see the glass as 3/4 full (or more) when it is half full.  

3.  You are 100% right about the "Told Ya So" posts from some (typically one, but sometimes more than that) individuals.  That has been happening all season, though.  It's what they do.  With this 7 game win streak (that, I know, we all are happy about), that individual (those individuals) are out in full throat.    Once again, the "ignored users" option has been a great addition to this site.  

4.   There is a huge common ground that most posters have, but it seems that the disagreements (albeit small) are the ones that run the narrative.

5.  At least there is alot of action during the game threads. That's a positive.  Perhaps it can be less combatitive, however.

Go Bulls!

Agree on all points, but for #2 I think I see this more common the other way. We will be up 15 points and over half the comments will be negative so I always viewed those posters (myself included sometimes) as people who are just trying to bring some positivity to the board. It can be exhausting to constantly read negative stuff even when positive things are happening.

1 hour ago, UB92 said:

Go Bulls!

I agree with most of this. 3, 4 and 5 are particularly true.

The problem i have is with number 1 though.

"It is a known that the bench is weak and there will be ebbs when they are in" - Part of the argument here is that some people do not agree or think this. It's actually been frequently discussed that the bench is as good or better than other teams. I think that opens the bigger debate to.... why is the bench weak? And that opens up a can of worms on missed recruits and need to show Oats had misses too, albeit, way more hit. The problem here that I have is that the current best players on this team are Oats players and Whitesell's are only through Hunter Jenkins who is no longer here. He has only hit two players, Mballa (Jenkins recruit/forged documents) and Skogman (under Jenkins again).  So believe it or not, the bench and further discussion is the point you are referring to with #4. 

Edited by Kevin

Everybody forgets that this current staff recruited and got Maceo Jack to sign. Yes we can say it was easy with FLJ, but he’s been a great addition and we are starting to see Jones is going to be really good too. 

This is just an addendum to the conversation, bit saying anyone is right or wrong. 

• Like 1