Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

'22-'23 MBB Schedule

11 hours ago, Tee4three said:

Like the schedule so far this season, hopefully this team surprises some people. Its got to be easier to schedule when you have zero returning players lol 

I want to highlight this point after people were teeing off on the staff last year for the schedule. I don’t think the staff changed their scheduling philosophy this year. They’re at the mercy of bigger schools when it comes to scheduling these games

• Like 5

1 hour ago, trueblue32 said:

I want to highlight this point after people were teeing off on the staff last year for the schedule. I don’t think the staff changed their scheduling philosophy this year. They’re at the mercy of bigger schools when it comes to scheduling these games

100%. Between covid still lingering, what appeared to be a threatening veteran UB squad, and the inherent variance in the schedule puzzle year-to-year, last season's was bound to be a bit off.

22 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

We are likely viewed as less of a threat (due to roster turnover), but still have a name brand for a good basketball program. It's a win-win for them. If we end up overachieving, win 20+ and do well in the MAC Championship, we will probably be right back to where we were. I think that's why they get into these early season tournaments. You get to use it for recruits to go to nice places and you might get a quality game or two on a neutral court.

On 8/1/2022 at 9:39 PM, DooleyBull06 said:

Strongly considering attending this game. As a city kid I always wondered why UB didn’t play road games in the NYC area. Granted this is 2 hours away, I am gonna make the drive.

If you are traveling from New York City for a Tuesday night game, it will be closer to three if not more, especially if it is on campus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

I have always liked Izzo, I like him even more now. That's a nice pickup, especially with our geography for recruiting. We have done well out of Michigan.

I confess, this is a better team than what I was thinking they were targeting for one of the remaining games, as I was thinking the likes of a MTSU (#97) / Louisiana Tech (#101).  The OOC schedule will be very tough.  Using barttorvik.com - they have the following:

@ Michigan St (#23)

@West Virginia (#29)

vs Tulane (#42) - neutral

vs Drake (#58) - neutral

@Connecticut (#59)

vs George Mason (#110) - neutral - potential depending on how bracket works out.

Certainly they will be battle tested heading to the MAC.

36 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

I confess, this is a better team than what I was thinking they were targeting for one of the remaining games, as I was thinking the likes of a MTSU (#97) / Louisiana Tech (#101).  The OOC schedule will be very tough.  Using barttorvik.com - they have the following:

@ Michigan St (#23)

@West Virginia (#29)

vs Tulane (#42) - neutral

vs Drake (#58) - neutral

@Connecticut (#59)

vs George Mason (#110) - neutral - potential depending on how bracket works out.

Certainly they will be battle tested heading to the MAC.

Nobody can say we are playing a bunch of cupcakes to start the season! Very solid schedule. If we can gel and get battle tested, we could be a tough out during the MAC season. The neutral court games help too, quality opponent, potentially less hostile environment. I only wish the possible George Mason game would be on the road since GMU is less than 30 minutes from my house 😂😂

1 hour ago, Majortomxiii said:

How much of the issue was good teams did not want to play what should have been a very good UB team?

I think it was a huge factor. We had a solid team (on paper), with lots of experience. We underperformed. Note though that JWs best game was again Michigan. He got up for that one.

• 2 weeks later...

No announcement, but ubbulls.com is showing a game with SUNY Canton on Dec 21.  Not unexpected that we have added a non-D1.  Not sure if there is one final announcement.

Edit:  I didn't think adding a D3 program to our schedule would generate much chatter, but curious if anyone knows if it costs us less to bring in a D3 (SUNY) program vs usual D2...maybe giving us a bit more room in the budget to make one more trip or bring in one more home game.   Best options for road game are Fresno State, SFA, Sam Houston St or San Diego.   North Texas still has not announced its final schedule either.

Edited by DocCas86

15 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Ok schedule appears to be done.  A home game with St. John Fisher on Dec 6th has been added.  A little disappointing to me that they couldn't find one more D1 opponent.  However, overall I feel the team put together a fairly rigorous schedule.

With UConn, Michigan St and the tournaments, I think its a really good schedule. A low level D1 would have been nice, but there is something to be said for UB giving these NY lower level teams an opportunity to play on a bigger stage.