Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

What other schools do you root for?

Gxtrex

I root for Binghamton because I went there undergrad.  They will probably get destroyed by Vermont tonight haha. It is a very different frame of reference rooting for them than UB.  They are currently ranked 283 on kenpom which is actually pretty good for them.  They have been 300+ for awhile. I was there for their AE chanpionship in 2008 and they havent done anything since. I am interested to hear who else you guys root for, and how different it is based on their situation (High P5, Low P5, High mid-major, Low mid-major, non-D1)

• Alabama - long story, kinda difficult to explain, goes back over 20 years now to when I was in high school.  Mostly a football fan rather than basketball, but have started somewhat following basketball now that Oats is there.
  • Syracuse - generally like to see them win as the de facto "major conference" team for the Buffalo region, but not a diehard fan.  I'll turn on the game if it's on TV, but I'm not rearranging my schedule for it.  Football and basketball.
  • Bona basketball - have some loose connections to the program/university through some friends/family.  I know it's perhaps not-kosher around here but I'm a mild fan of theirs.
  • Canisius basketball / Niagara basketball / Army football - I keep an eye on these teams for local/regional interest and like to see them do well, but I'm not particularly a "fan" of any of them, per se.

Kinda boring overall, I suppose.

It's been Duke since I met Christian Laettner at Nichols when I was a kid in the early 90s. They're my biggest sports interest outside of Bills and Sabres. I've always enjoyed rooting for smart kids who can play too.

Root against, well... Carolina, Cuse, Bonnies, UCONN, Kentucky, Kansas...

My list is long…

Grew up a diehard Syracuse fan but not really passionate about them anymore.

I love Ohio University since I went to college there.

Obviously care a ton about UB as well which makes things interesting every year.

I support all of Buffalo’s Big 4 opponents. Canisius was the first school I had season tickets for. My uncle went to St. Bonaventure and I have a soft spot for A10 hoops. Also, Niagara was good during my teenage years when they had Mihalich.

The one outlier is Purdue Fort Wayne (formerly IPFW). I covered the Mastodons for two seasons and have a lot of respect for their head coach, Jon Coffman.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

I only root for UB, but I did have a young boy's dream (sadly betrayed by my extreme lack of ability) to play basketball.  Inspired by their national championship in 1974, I was sure I was going to go to NC State.  What did I know, reality hadn't set in for me at 10 years old.  Too bad I wasn't better, I would have played on a national championship team for Jimmy V...that would have been awesome!

I root for my alma mater, Canisius. When I matriculated there, St Bonaventure was so good, I cheered for them, and still do. I hate Niagara, but could be for them, if they made it to the Dance. I’ll be cheering for Michigan because my daughter works there. Other teams I could support: Gonzaga, St Mary’s, Wyoming, any Ivy, just about any underdog. And any MAC or MAAC team - I’d be for any team that could make a run. Hopefully the Bulls!

WVU - I was born in southern WV coal country, closer to Va Tech but strong 'eers fans even with the distance, few Hokies fans. I remember wanting to punch my TV when the Domers beat Major Harris in the Fiesta bowl. Learned to hate Pitt and SU before I even knew UB existed. Loved WVU football in the Big East. I got to see UB football get edged in the Dome, but happily return to SU later that season when Pat White/Steve Slaton ran over the Orange. My passion declined sharply with the Big 12 move. Why would I care to play OSU, Iowa St, even Texas? Unnatural realignment. WVU basketball was barely anything in the 80's, and I used to think, "Why the heck are we playing Bonnies and Duquesne?!" Loved the BE move. Was hard to see WVU play UB in 2015 but fully I support UB sports when played against WVU. It was funny for a few years when UB (alma mater), WVU (first love), and Hartwick College (I spent my teen years in Oneonta) all played MAC soccer.

Minor cheering for Cornell (sister attended). Used to like Marshall when they were winning 1AA championships for West Virginia pride but once they joined the MAC I dropped them fast. 

Edited by RecoveringHillbilly

2 hours ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

WVU - I was born in southern WV coal country, closer to Va Tech but strong 'eers fans even with the distance, few Hokies fans. I remember wanting to punch my TV when the Domers beat Major Harris in the Fiesta bowl. Learned to hate Pitt and SU before I even knew UB existed. Loved WVU football in the Big East. I got to see UB football get edged in the Dome, but happily return to SU later that season when Pat White/Steve Slaton ran over the Orange. My passion declined sharply with the Big 12 move. Why would I care to play OSU, Iowa St, even Texas? Unnatural realignment. WVU basketball was barely anything in the 80's, and I used to think, "Why the heck are we playing Bonnies and Duquesne?!" Loved the BE move. Was hard to see WVU play UB in 2015 but fully I support UB sports when played against WVU. It was funny for a few years when UB (alma mater), WVU (first love), and Hartwick College (I spent my teen years in Oneonta) all played MAC soccer.

Minor cheering for Cornell (sister attended). Used to like Marshall when they were winning 1AA championships for West Virginia pride but once they joined the MAC I dropped them fast. 

Where did you live in West Virginia? I lived in Oak Hill near Beckley for one summer back in 2014 and worked at WOAY. Was all over the southern counties. Our sports guys covered a ton of Virginia Tech, Marshall and WVU.

10 hours ago, yussi1870 said:

Any NYS school, especially outside the NYC area. Could this be the first year no NYS school makes the tournament?

Root for all the WNY schools except of course only am UB fan when playing against us. Still follow teams of our former coaches. Hey with Arizona State and Alabama both losing and really under performing maybe coaches on the hot seat!! Just joking!! Go Bulls!!

14 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Probably not.  They lost in quarters to a 9 seed (Rider) 71-70 are at 89 on the NET rankings.

For those with a sense of history that is the same score that Notre Dame beat UCLA to end the Bruins 88 game win streak.

Not saying Rider wins the MAAC, but they appear to be peaking at the right time.   Could be a Rider / Quinnipiac finals!

image.png.67a7469f938dc3fe3f591ab828a2118b.png

I grew up around UB. My dad went there and took us to all kinds of sporting events as kids from D3 into the transition into D1.  I went to Northeastern for undergrad - I'm a huge Huskies hockey fan.  Like most Huskies, I'm aware of their usually solid basketball program but don't pay close attention to it.  Hockey is our big deal.  I came home for grad school at UB and have been here since.

As a kid we rooted for Michigan (hated OSU and Notre Dame, still do), West Virginia (hated Syracuse and Penn State, still do), in a lighter sense, Texas and Florida State.

I despise our local rivals, the Little Three.  I have no use for any of them.  In the MAC, 'rate my hate' I would have to still go with Akron 1, Ohio 2, Kent 3.  I have no feeling whatsoever either way about the other SUNY schools.  The Northeastern Husky in me despises BU, BC, and Lowell.