Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2022-2023 [Men's] Roster

Jeseph

Iowa State's remake from last season to this season is remarkable. The portal changes everything. Nobody is likely to go to the portal from the team. Whitesell is beloved by his players. Who knows what is possible for next season, right?

1 hour ago, Chet said:

Iowa State's remake from last season to this season is remarkable. The portal changes everything. Nobody is likely to go to the portal from the team. Whitesell is beloved by his players. Who knows what is possible for next season, right?

I can live with a coach that is beloved by his players. Hopefully they love him enough to play up to their fullest potential. Go Bulls!!🤘🏼🤘🏼

3 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

We very well might win only 4 games next year. Then we can hope to be Iowa state the year after lol

My Sr year we won 4 with a limited-scholarship-count, SR/JR roster of transfers lead by Campbell and... blahhhh. Right before the Battle/Bortz/Bird/Gilbert class stepped in. I gotta hope our current freshmen have a similar pedigree to that one. Get them all into next year's rotation with (most likely) Hardnett, Perry, some transfers and 1-2 additional freshmen. Try to at least make top 8 in the MAC, which would be a big goal at this point.

Then hope 2024 is like our first 3 NCAA teams which were mostly lead by Junior-class talents, with a few Sr's, Soph, Frosh.

2 minutes ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

My Sr year we won 4 with a limited-scholarship-count, SR/JR roster of transfers lead by Campbell and... blahhhh. Right before the Battle/Bortz/Bird/Gilbert class stepped in. I gotta hope our current freshmen have a similar pedigree to that one. Get them all into next year's rotation with (most likely) Hardnett, Perry, some transfers and 1-2 additional freshmen. Try to at least make top 8 in the MAC, which would be a big goal at this point.

Then hope 2024 is like our first 3 NCAA teams which were mostly lead by Junior-class talents, with a few Sr's, Soph, Frosh.

That’s the one bright thing about next season. Zero expectations and hopefully a young roster that can go out there and grow together

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 4:57 PM, Chet said:

Nobody except…Skogman…😮

On 3/11/2022 at 7:30 PM, Kevin said:

Got you covered:

PG - Jones (SO), Ceaser (FR)

SG - Powell (JR), Blocker (SO)

Wing - None

F - Hardnett (SR), Williamson (R-FR)

F - Mading (SO)

Updated. Only 7 players on the roster right now. They have 6 spots to fill 

On 3/11/2022 at 7:30 PM, Kevin said:

Got you covered:

PG - Jones (SO), Ceaser (FR)

SG - Powell (JR), Blocker (SO)

Wing - None

F - Hardnett (SR), Williamson (R-FR)

F - Mading (SO)

I know that the Bulls have been talking to 3 PG with one year of eligibility remaining.  In my simple mind you could be better off having a senior PG with Jones getting solid minutes off the bench.  Obviously this may ruffle some feathers.  Do others see bringing in one of these PG is an option? 

2 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

I know that the Bulls have been talking to 3 PG with one year of eligibility remaining.  In my simple mind you could be better off having a senior PG with Jones getting solid minutes off the bench.  Obviously this may ruffle some feathers.  Do others see bringing in one of these PG is an option? 

Definitely. I think we need one combo guard and one or two Maceo/Jeenathan style wing guards who can shoot. Ideally in mid-major basketball, you're running three "guards" at once and I'd like to see us get back to that. Toledo smoked us with lineups that at times had four guards on the floor.

Also, I think Ceaser is really, really good and will play top-5 minutes as a freshman. We shall see.

6 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Definitely. I think we need one combo guard and one or two Maceo/Jeenathan style wing guards who can shoot. Ideally in mid-major basketball, you're running three "guards" at once and I'd like to see us get back to that. Toledo smoked us with lineups that at times had four guards on the floor.

Also, I think Ceaser is really, really good and will play top-5 minutes as a freshman. We shall see.

The current roster with recruits will be a 10-12 win team at best.  Impact freshmen at mid-majors don't happen, or they would be in a Power 5 conference.

Unless the coaches can bring in 2-3 portal transfers from D1 programs, next year will be a complete rebuilding year.

18 minutes ago, Sportsfan said:

The current roster with recruits will be a 10-12 win team at best.  Impact freshmen at mid-majors don't happen, or they would be in a Power 5 conference.

Unless the coaches can bring in 2-3 portal transfers from D1 programs, next year will be a complete rebuilding year.

Only huge impact freshman I’ve personally seen play was Jalen Pickett at Siena. Was their leading scorer freshman year. Was one of the reasons why that team won plenty of games 

43 minutes ago, Sportsfan said:

Agree need to add a couple of transfers, which they are exploring per Transfer Portal News thread.  However, they have their work cut out for them.  Hopefully  hear about another commit soon.

On 4/5/2022 at 8:09 AM, Dabulls said:

Only huge impact freshman I’ve personally seen play was Jalen Pickett at Siena. Was their leading scorer freshman year. Was one of the reasons why that team won plenty of games 

I would say CJ Massinburg was a big reason the Bulls made the tourney his freshman year in 2015-16. Averaged 11.3 and was the leading scorer in the MAC Championship game. There are diamonds in the rough out there to be had, albeit few and far in between. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, UB2014 said:

I would say CJ Massinburg was a big reason the Bulls made the tourney his freshman year in 2015-16. Averaged 11.3 and was the leading scorer in the MAC Championship game. There are diamonds in the rough out there to be had, albeit few and far in between. 

Agree they are out there but we rally don’t know how they will fare until they start playing. We can only speculate and give our opinions on how these young players who did not get any playing time will perform. If they perform positively we should give credit to both player and coach. I wonder if the entire coaching staff will still be here??

• 5 weeks later...

PG - Jones (SO), Foster (SR*), Ceaser (FR)

SG - Powell (*JR), Blocker (SO), Jones (SO)

Wing - Adams (*JR)

F - Hardnett (*RS-SR), Williamson (R-FR)

F - Sy Chatman (*SR), Mading (SO), Jack (FR)

*-have a covid year they could use

1 Scholarship

Edited by Kevin

56 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Wing - Adams (*JR)

F - Mading (SO), Jack (FR)

2 Scholarships

Do we have 2 Jones’?

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/11/2022 at 10:12 PM, Kevin said:

Wing - Adams (*JR)

F - Mading (SO), Jack (FR)

2 Scholarships

Ok add Sy Chatman to this roster, there is one scholarship left, but I think most of minutes for next season are already on the roster.  Trying to figure expectations for upcoming season is difficult.  My view we are 4-6 seed, 9-9 or 10-8 in MAC, composite rank of 135-175, but there is definitely a lot of unknowns.  Given that I will be looking for development of young core over the year building hope of better things in 2023-24. Curious what others think.  I expect the range of expectations to be large.

• Like 1