Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2022-2023 [Men's] Roster

Jeseph

2 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Ok add Sy Chatman to this roster, there is one scholarship left, but I think most of minutes for next season are already on the roster.  Trying to figure expectations for upcoming season is difficult.  My view we are 4-6 seed, 9-9 or 10-8 in MAC, composite rank of 135-175, but there is definitely a lot of unknowns.  Given that I will be looking for development of young core over the year building hope of better things in 2023-24. Curious what others think.  I expect the range of expectations to be large.

I feel like the team will be fun to watch, lot of high paced offense. I agree that we are a 10-8 team at best, definitely a development year. I’m intrigued to see What Blocker can do this season. He looked confident in his limited play time and is freakishly athletic. According to verbal commits he’s the only true SG we have on the roster, maybe Foster or Powell could switch to SG as well. I fully expect Caeser to compete for the starting PG position, possibly getting more playing time over Jones. He appears to be a better ball handler and is insanely fast with or without the ball. I know 3 point shooting is a huge concern but I’m more worried about the Center position with only freshman Issac Jack on the roster. With one scholarship left I would like them to grab a transfer center or SF to back up Adams 

3 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Ok add Sy Chatman to this roster, there is one scholarship left, but I think most of minutes for next season are already on the roster.  Trying to figure expectations for upcoming season is difficult.  My view we are 4-6 seed, 9-9 or 10-8 in MAC, composite rank of 135-175, but there is definitely a lot of unknowns.  Given that I will be looking for development of young core over the year building hope of better things in 2023-24. Curious what others think.  I expect the range of expectations to be large.

"lot of unknowns" sounds about right. We have no idea how these guys actually play or if they will buy into their given roles (or what roles each will be given). Same goes for the women's team. Whichever team/program can actually get players to buy into roles, and get some sort of team play, will be the most successful, since practically every team in this league is starting from scratch. Surely, everyone has relatively similar overall talent, and the most inter-connected team will come out on top. Hopefully that's us, but only time will tell.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, skrabukes said:

"lot of unknowns" sounds about right. We have no idea how these guys actually play or if they will buy into their given roles (or what roles each will be given). Same goes for the women's team. Whichever team/program can actually get players to buy into roles, and get some sort of team play, will be the most successful, since practically every team in this league is starting from scratch. Surely, everyone has relatively similar overall talent, and the most inter-connected team will come out on top. Hopefully that's us, but only time will tell.

Spot on per usual 

The talent/pieces are there, team needs to gel/buy in. Really need coaches to put these players in positions to succeed and players need to be ok with their role

If they play a similar style of play as the past few seasons, I think this will be a long season

If they play a team first/blue collar way think this team will surprise many people especially once they get used to playing together

• Like 1

I’m optimistic that we could finish in the top 4 and the reason is because of the new free agency in college basketball and adding in graduations.  The other MAC school’s rosters turned over almost as much as ours did. It’s basically a whole new conference of players compared to last year. 

Updated 6/4 -

PG - Jones (SO), Foster (SR*), Ceaser (FR)

SG - Powell (*JR), Blocker (SO), Jones (SO)

Wing - Adams (*JR)

F - Hardnett (*RS-SR), Williamson (R-FR)

F - Sy Chatman (*SR), Mading (SO), Jack (FR)

*-have a covid year they could use

1 Scholarship

9 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

I heard they had a big man in end of the week. Anyone see anything? It wasn’t Chatman. 

I haven’t heard anything, but maybe Vick Hart the FIU transfer? I don’t know of any connection between he and Chatman but he RT’d Chatman’s announcement. Maybe they visited together? Didn’t do much at FIU but he was recruited out of JUCO by UB. Complete shot in the dark lol

3 hours ago, MKBullsfan said:

I’m optimistic that we could finish in the top 4 and the reason is because of the new free agency in college basketball and adding in graduations.  The other MAC school’s rosters turned over almost as much as ours did. It’s basically a whole new conference of players compared to last year. 

I’m confident UB will be competitive and a .500 or better team but I don’t think they’ll finish in the Top 4 of the MAC.

Toledo is still good without Rollins. Carry is returning to Kent State and Ohio has a strong collection of newcomers in addition to Dwight Wilson coming back. Factor in Ball State being much improved and Akron being the defending champs, I don’t think it’s likely UB will be near the top. IMO, they’ll be in the middle of the pack (5th-7th)

I am intrigued to see what Whitesell does with his own players though. This is a fresh start. Hopefully this team steps up and plays loose with lesser expectations.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

I haven’t heard anything, but maybe Vick Hart the FIU transfer? I don’t know of any connection between he and Chatman but he RT’d Chatman’s announcement. Maybe they visited together? Didn’t do much at FIU but he was recruited out of JUCO by UB. Complete shot in the dark lol

The RT does seem to suggest some connection.  If so excellent sleuthing.

Didn't realize , but Chatman and Curtis Jones were HS teammates.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

The RT does seem to suggest some connection.  If so excellent sleuthing.

Didn't realize , but Chatman and Curtis Jones were HS teammates.

Looks like we need a wing. I could see Mading playing center this year. His wingspan is insane, only concern is his strength. Vick Hart I believe is a sg/sf so I wouldn’t be surprised if we are actively recruiting him

Not much on him, even when he was at Chipola he was behind eventual Florida St starter Naheem McLeod. Trust that Foley knows what he had in him though. Surprised he didn’t redshirt last year as he was a fall semester addition and was on an extra 14th scholarship due to COVID rules. Still has 3 years left due to COVID

Seems to fit the role of a long/athletic rim runner in the mold of Montell McRae/Raheem Johnson that we’ve been missing in recent years

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Not much on him, even when he was at Chipola he was behind eventual Florida St starter Naheem McLeod. Trust that Foley knows what he had in him though. Surprised he didn’t redshirt last year as he was a fall semester addition and was on an extra 14th scholarship due to COVID rules. Still has 3 years left due to COVID

Seems to fit the role of a long/athletic rim runner in the mold of Montell McRae/Raheem Johnson that we’ve been missing in recent years

I hope he doesn't think he's a 3-point shooter. Would love someone that likes playing down low.

16 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I hope he doesn't think he's a 3-point shooter. Would love someone that likes playing down low.

42 out of his 44 FGA at Chipola were 2 pointers and he shot over 65%, so it would appear he likes playing down low. 

I hope this team can gel...they did  get talent after losing 90% of minutes.  I wonder if this team might struggle through season, but be someone you don't want to see in Cleveland.  I can't help it, I will always be an optimist. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

42 out of his 44 FGA at Chipola were 2 pointers and he shot over 65%, so it would appear he likes playing down low. 

I hope this team can gel...they did  get talent after losing 90% of minutes.  I wonder if this team might struggle through season, but be someone you don't want to see in Cleveland.  I can't help it, I will always be an optimist. 

I like that! I'm there with you, I have expectations for this team, but I'm probably projecting my hope onto these guys unfairly. I think we have good talent, now we need to figure out how they come together as a team.

7 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I like that! I'm there with you, I have expectations for this team, but I'm probably projecting my hope onto these guys unfairly. I think we have good talent, now we need to figure out how they come together as a team.

His stats don’t jump out all that much but he still got D1 offers and was a Seton Hall player, tells me that he’s got to be pretty good. Seems to be a lot like Mading but a bit more polished 

Other than Ceaser at 6'1", the rest of the players are 6'4" or taller.  I would have to check, but seems like the team is taller than in recent years.  

Day one of practice, hustle, defense and rebounding.  Need more intensity this year.  Especially as it will likely take time to develop chemistry on offense.

42 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

Seems to be a lot like Mading but a bit more polished 

I disagree here, the jump shot is definitely part of Mading’s game and I think he has a bit of an ability to handle. If anything this signing signals to me that they view Mading as a wing. They now have Chatman/Williamson/Jack/Hardnett + Smith as “bigs”. Position designations can be weird, but that’s 5/13 scholarships already that aren’t expected to create or shoot. Obviously all won’t play but I think Mading is going to be able to do more. He’s the guy I’m most excited to see this year

45 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Other than Ceaser at 6'1", the rest of the players are 6'4" or taller.  I would have to check, but seems like the team is taller than in recent years.  

Day one of practice, hustle, defense and rebounding.  Need more intensity this year.  Especially as it will likely take time to develop chemistry on offense.

All tall and athletic 

If they have hustle and intensity they will be a team that mac teams don't want to see at the end of the season

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

Looks like the roster is set. What are your thoughts as of RIGHT NOW?

Looks like you missed the sidebar conversation about the team prospects, which was logically under '22-'23 MBB Schedule.  🙂

Consensus seems to be who knows...  In my opinion, they have brought in talented players and there is potential.  My take is they will be middle of the MAC 5-7 seed / ranked 150 +/-.   If they play with intensity on both ends and play team ball,  they can win some games in Cleveland - but you just don't know.

What are your thoughts DaBulls99?

Edited by DocCas86