Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Noah Hutchins

Slight digression but we need to be more assertive recruiting our own state. I know downstate will be hard but we gotta keep local Buffalo and Rochester talent. I really get irked seeing kids from Rochester perform well at other MAC schools. Time to establish local pipelines. Williams and Blocker are great examples.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Slight digression but we need to be more assertive recruiting our own state. I know downstate will be hard but we gotta keep local Buffalo and Rochester talent. I really get irked seeing kids from Rochester perform well at other MAC schools. Time to establish local pipelines. Williams and Blocker are great examples.

So are Dillard and Fair.

• Like 1

Had a pretty brutal year for a poor Rice team. Could hardly get on the floor. I've been the biggest advocate for local recruiting, but I'm not sure he's of the quality we're seeking to get back to the level we all want. Maybe someone knows more about the details of his season?

19 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Had a pretty brutal year for a poor Rice team. Could hardly get on the floor. I've been the biggest advocate for local recruiting, but I'm not sure he's of the quality we're seeking to get back to the level we all want. Maybe someone knows more about the details of his season?

Coach at Rice didn't play freshman even in mop up time mostly due to Covid super senior returnees. At the end of the year NH elected to have surgery on a nagging injury. At IMG he was the starting PG and exhibited lock down defense.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

Coach at Rice didn't play freshman even in mop up time mostly due to Covid super senior returnees. At the end of the year NH elected to have surgery on a nagging injury. At IMG he was the starting PG and exhibited lock down defense.

If this is the case then I’d take him. Scouting report out of high school was tough defender. We need that.

3 hours ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

Thanks for the perspective. What was the nagging injury?

I suppose with how many scholarships we have open and the fact that you can never have enough ball-handling guards, he could find a spot here. My comment stands about needing to keep the quality of recruits up. We had the top end talent to make it happen this year, but not the depth. Granted there are always under the radar gems, but we should be chasing guys at the level of Ceaser to Rondo and above. We've seen plenty of impact freshman in the MAC in recent years, so Hutchins' failure to make his mark at Rice does give me pause that he would be an impact player here.

I found a couple comments on their board https://csnbbs.com/thread-914714-page-11.html

Hutchins does, in the end, enter the portal. Means we have one scholarship left. Absolutely needs, and I mean needs, to be spent on an attacking/slashing/scoring guard.

Sucks that Hutchins didn't pan out. Was a very unconventional, but welcome, Pera guard recruit. One of only a couple guys in the past few years that came out of HS with the reputation of attacker rather than shooter. Hope he gets healthy, finds his quickness again, and finds a good program.

Why not a point guard? I don’t know the playing style of Mason and that Chicago guard, but if they are slashers, then I think we are good in that regard.

You were always higher on Hutchins than I was. I never saw that potential.

8 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Thanks for the perspective. What was the nagging injury?

I suppose with how many scholarships we have open and the fact that you can never have enough ball-handling guards, he could find a spot here. My comment stands about needing to keep the quality of recruits up. We had the top end talent to make it happen this year, but not the depth. Granted there are always under the radar gems, but we should be chasing guys at the level of Ceaser to Rondo and above. We've seen plenty of impact freshman in the MAC in recent years, so Hutchins' failure to make his mark at Rice does give me pause that he would be an impact player here.

I found a couple comments on their board https://csnbbs.com/thread-914714-page-11.html

I’ll take an attacking slasher who is tough and plays defense. And may have a chip on his shoulder. 

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

Don’t think that’s the same guy… maybe I’m wrong 

I did get confused, admittedly not hard to do, because comment about a strong no...I would take Noah Williams on the Bulls in a heartbeat.  Noah Hutchins is apparently the one we should avoid.

13 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Yea y’all are right. My bad. That’s what happens at 1am lol

I got the two Noahs wrong. This was about Williams, a one time commit of ours.

Noah Williams - very talented and would love to have him on the team.

Noah Hutchins- EXTREMELY cocky and arrogant because he was a big deal in high school. Can play defense but can’t score efficiently at all. Especially not at the college level. 

12 hours ago, 961819 said:

Noah Williams - very talented and would love to have him on the team.

Noah Hutchins- EXTREMELY cocky and arrogant because he was a big deal in high school. Can play defense but can’t score efficiently at all. Especially not at the college level. 

How many talented HS players come out humble?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 961819 said:

Noah Williams - very talented and would love to have him on the team …

I wonder if he would have remained committed to UB if Nate had stayed.  
His timeline seems strange to me though.   De-commit from a school across the country.  Join a school on the other side of the state.   Transfer to the home town team.   What does this contraction say to pro teams, as he goes into his final tuneup?   Personally I’d be looking for players who continue to expand.  Not just their abilities, but also their comfort levels.  

32 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

I wonder if he would have remained committed to UB if Nate had stayed.  
His timeline seems strange to me though.   De-commit from a school across the country.  Join a school on the other side of the state.   Transfer to the home town team.   What does this contraction say to pro teams, as he goes into his final tuneup?   Personally I’d be looking for players who continue to expand.  Not just their abilities, but also their comfort levels.  

If he has enough talent, the NBA teams will take him.