Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Transfer News

trueblue32

• 2 weeks later...

North Texas Transfer Mardrez McBride:

https://247sports.com/Article/Basketball-recruiting-Penn-State-Georgia-Cincinnati-Penn-State-Buffalo-Mardrez-McBride-185396001/

Buffalo: “We actually played them through the year and he was able to see me with his own eyes and was very impressed. He says he still has nightmares to this day but they need an impactful guy who can contribute right away.”

Had 17 points, 5 rebounds in our game. Averaged 11 and 3 on the season

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trueblue32 said:

North Texas Transfer Mardrez McBride:

https://247sports.com/Article/Basketball-recruiting-Penn-State-Georgia-Cincinnati-Penn-State-Buffalo-Mardrez-McBride-185396001/

Buffalo: “We actually played them through the year and he was able to see me with his own eyes and was very impressed. He says he still has nightmares to this day but they need an impactful guy who can contribute right away.”

Had 17 points, 5 rebounds in our game. Averaged 11 and 3 on the season

This would be a great addition to the team

Put this together with all the transfer links so far:

Shamar Givance 5’10 155 G Evansville 1 year of eligibility
13.7 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 3.9 apg, 41/31/67%
Other schools: Iona, Western Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Maryland, Georgia State, Cleveland State

Mardrez McBride 6’2 180 G North Texas 1 year of eligibility
11.3 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 42/39/59%
Other schools: Georgia, Cincinnati, Penn State, West Virginia

Jalen Hawkins 6’2 185 G Norfolk St 1 year of eligibility
12.9 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 46/36/69%
Other schools: Clemson, New Mexico State, South Florida, Missouri St., UNH, Prairie View A&M, UNCW, San Francisco, Georgia St., SIU, UNI

Zion Griffin 6'6 215 F Illinois-Chicago 1 year of eligibility
11.1 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 51/33/64%
Other schools: UC Riverside, SEMO, Georgia Southern, UMKC, Duquesne

Payton Sparks 6’9 240 C Ball St 3 years of eligibility
13.5 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 53/70%
Other schools: Texas Tech, West Virginia, Illinois, Ole Miss, Indiana, Loyola-Chicago, Cincinnati, Oklahoma, Iowa State, Wichita State, Jacksonville, Central Michigan, Miami (OH), Liberty, Cornell, Hofstra, College of Charleston

Mo Njie 6’10 245 C Eastern Michigan 3 years of eligibility
6.6 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 62/54%
Other schools: Pittsburgh, BYU, Tulsa, Stetson, UIC

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, UB2014 said:

Put this together with all the transfer links so far:

Shamar Givance 5’10 155 G Evansville 1 year of eligibility
13.7 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 3.9 apg, 41/31/67%
Other schools: Iona, Western Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Maryland, Georgia State, Cleveland State

Mardrez McBride 6’2 180 G North Texas 1 year of eligibility
11.3 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 42/39/59%
Other schools: Georgia, Cincinnati, Penn State, West Virginia

Jalen Hawkins 6’2 185 G Norfolk St 1 year of eligibility
12.9 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 46/36/69%
Other schools: Clemson, New Mexico State, South Florida, Missouri St., UNH, Prairie View A&M, UNCW, San Francisco, Georgia St., SIU, UNI

Zion Griffin 6'6 215 F Illinois-Chicago 1 year of eligibility
11.1 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 51/33/64%
Other schools: UC Riverside, SEMO, Georgia Southern, UMKC, Duquesne

Payton Sparks 6’9 240 C Ball St 3 years of eligibility
13.5 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 53/70%
Other schools: Texas Tech, West Virginia, Illinois, Ole Miss, Indiana, Loyola-Chicago, Cincinnati, Oklahoma, Iowa State, Wichita State, Jacksonville, Central Michigan, Miami (OH), Liberty, Cornell, Hofstra, College of Charleston

Mo Njie 6’10 245 C Eastern Michigan 3 years of eligibility
6.6 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 62/54%
Other schools: Pittsburgh, BYU, Tulsa, Stetson, UIC

Thank you for compiling the list.

It appears the strategy is to focus on players with one year remaining to add experience to an otherwise young team for 22-23 and hand off to the younger players in 23-24.  I don't recall Njie's all that well defensively, but he seems he could form a solid future nucleus with Jones, Blocker, Ceaser and Mading. 

Still a lot of work to do, but I like hearing how active we are being.  Hopefully the team gets first commit soon.  I think Sparks will leave the MAC.

2 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

It appears the strategy is to focus on players with one year remaining to add experience to an otherwise young team for 22-23 and hand off to the younger players in 23-24.  I don't recall Njie's all that well defensively, but he seems he could form a solid future nucleus with Jones, Blocker, Ceaser and Mading.

My fear is that we bring in players that will or expect to play right away and we won’t develop guys like Mading, Williamson and blocker. Then they get frustrated and hit the portal sooner rather than later. We need to give those guys extensive playing time. 

It is a delicate balance.  I am not convinced going with more SO / FR, throw in towel for next year and hope they stick around for 2023-24 and beyond.  I think you can find a way to get Blocker and Mading 15-20 minutes a game and be part of a better bench.  That is why guys with one year of eligibility remaining may make sense.  Maybe chance to be close to where we want to be next year while developing the younger players as part of a stronger bench in 2022-23 and  starters in 2023-24. 

13 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

It is a delicate balance.  I am not convinced going with more SO / FR, throw in towel for next year and hope they stick around for 2023-24 and beyond.  I think you can find a way to get Blocker and Mading 15-20 minutes a game and be part of a better bench.  That is why guys with one year of eligibility remaining may make sense.  Maybe chance to be close to where we want to be next year while developing the younger players as part of a stronger bench in 2022-23 and  starters in 2023-24. 

Play to win 1 year. The next year will be a fully new roster. That's what the ncaa wants evidently. Development in house is gone. Redshirting for future gains must be gone too. Cuz they'll just leave, like Skogman.

8 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Play to win 1 year. The next year will be a fully new roster. That's what the ncaa wants evidently. Development in house is gone. Redshirting for future gains must be gone too. Cuz they'll just leave, like Skogman.

Redshirting in basketball is tough. They either aren’t ready and don’t develop and then you don’t want them taking up a scholarship for 5 years or they do develop and then grad transfer somewhere else. 

Skogman hasn’t actually left yet.  Could you imagine playing for a coach who didn’t want what’s best for you, I can’t.  I imagine most every coach is open about the portal… sure, put your name out there to see what happens.  Coaches who don’t embrace this will push players away faster than what we currently see. 

16 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Development in house is so 2019...this is  2022, the era of Everyone in the Portal!

2 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Skogman hasn’t actually left yet.  Could you imagine playing for a coach who didn’t want what’s best for you, I can’t.  I imagine most every coach is open about the portal… sure, put your name out there to see what happens.  Coaches who don’t embrace this will push players away faster than what we currently see. 

I’ll be shocked if Skogman returns because he’s 6’10”, almost a 40% three point shooter, and has decent mobility. There just aren’t many of those guys out there so he should get a lot of interest from better programs. Fact is, if not for his heart condition coming out of HS he would’ve had bigger options anyway.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, UB2014 said:

Redshirting in basketball is tough. They either aren’t ready and don’t develop and then you don’t want them taking up a scholarship for 5 years or they do develop and then grad transfer somewhere else. 

I have no issues with grad transfers. Most of those kids earn a bachelor’s from one school then future their education at another institution. And most likely aren’t going pro. Use Fagan as an example. Yes his intentions might be to transfer up. But in doing so he will further his education. And let’s just be real…at best he’s an overseas player. So graduation is important. 

Side note: if anyone transfers and then crushes it at another school, is that an indictment on the coaching staff’s ability to player develop?

5 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

… Use Fagan as an example. Yes his intentions might be to transfer up…

Like my use of David above, Fagan’s intentions may just as well be curiosity… finding out what his options are.  They represent Anyone, Anywhere, in this argument.  Not every player enters the portal because they are angry.

9 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

… Side note: if anyone transfers and then crushes it at another school, is that an indictment on the coaching staff’s ability to player develop?

No, I don’t think a comparison is that easy.  A player could have initially been buried on the depth chart, and then unrestricted at the next school.  

11 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

Perhaps.  Hopefully you realized the general nature of my comment though. 

I would hope he would also weigh in the program that put him first and not only accepted his condition but put a team around him to monitor and manage that condition, UB had dealt with it before. I know nobody owes anyone anything these days, but damn, UB gave him a legit chance, got him to the shape to play and play safely. It's just disheartening. No pun intended.