Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Transfer News

trueblue32

On 4/9/2022 at 12:00 PM, DooleyBull06 said:

I covered Jaylen Butz in high school when I was a sports anchor in Fort Wayne, Indiana. He was a very good player at that level, guiding North Side to a state runner-up with his star teammate, Kentucky wing Keion Brooks Jr.

Buffalo could use a guy like him. He's a solid forward that's a decent defender and rebounder. He's a limited scorer but good down low. He'd project around 10-13 points per game and 6-8 rebounds per game in the MAC imo

Was a solid player at DePaul but didn't see the court much at Western Kentucky.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

I covered Jaylen Butz in high school when I was a sports anchor in Fort Wayne, Indiana. He was a very good player at that level, guiding North Side to a state runner-up with his star teammate, Kentucky wing Keion Brooks Jr.

Buffalo could use a guy like him. He's a solid forward that's a decent defender and rebounder. He's a limited scorer but good down low. He'd project around 10-13 points per game and 6-8 rebounds per game in the MAC imo

Was a solid player at DePaul but didn't see the court much at Western Kentucky.

https://www.rotowire.com/cbasketball/player.php?id=11581

Production this past season impacted by COVID protocols and a foot injury.  Hopefully he is fully recovered and ready for a great season.

• Like 1

FWIW, I found this site by chance which provides a ranking of the players in the portal.

https://evanmiya.com/

Here is how Skogman, Fagan and our interest list stacks up:

image.thumb.png.9fa882b0062ae857cb6e67320a1fe389.png

Skogman is fairly high up in this rating, with high OBPR 2023.  Note I inlcuded Micah Parrish - but he is not someone that has been mentioned as UB contacting.  Butz and Adams both have solid DBPR 2023 numbers.  

32 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

FWIW, I found this site by chance which provides a ranking of the players in the portal.

https://evanmiya.com/

Here is how Skogman, Fagan and our interest list stacks up:

image.thumb.png.9fa882b0062ae857cb6e67320a1fe389.png

Skogman is fairly high up in this rating, with high OBPR 2023.  Note I inlcuded Micah Parrish - but he is not someone that has been mentioned as UB contacting.  Butz and Adams both have solid DBPR 2023 numbers.  

Good information, that's impressive for Skogman.

39 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

It appears that Isaiah Adams has been in contact with a few of UB’s players recently. Was just on instagram live with new commit Yazid Powell. Seems like a decent sign for things to come 

To go along with this… just a few days ago his only UB follower was Coach Foley, now Hardnett, Mading, Jones and a team manager are following him. Was visiting at the same time as Powell I believe 

• Like 1

JT Shumate at Toledo came from D2, Tommy Schmock at Ohio was also D2. Nationally, Max Strus at DePaul came from D2 and Duncan Robinson at Michigan came from D3 before both made it to the NBA. Ryan Hawkins was D2 before being all-Big East at Creighton this year. That’s just off the top of the head but it’s becoming increasingly prevalent as some guys have had success. They’re not all hits but like anything it’s about finding the right level

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Interesting he heard from Alabama and is visiting here now. Honestly, bama might not be able to fit him in or something, and Hodgson might point him in the direction of UB. I know Hodgson and Coach Q are really good friends still. Wouldn’t doubt that they help each other out on the recruiting trail. No intel at all, just guessing! 

20 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Could be a good pickup. Hopefully he likes what he sees here.

when it comes to guards, there might be a slight difference in quality of talent between d2 and d1. It’s  mainly seen in the overall size of players however. Also there are many d2 players who came out of HS with the talent to go d1 but they might have went to a small public school or were greatly overlooked by scouts. Had a kid at my HS who got PWO offers from UB and Syracuse but chose to go to D2 because he would start

Edited by Dabulls

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome! I guess the kid looked unreal his freshman year and then dropped off last year. Was Mr. Basketball in Florida out of high school. Had some high major schools involved during his portal time it seemed. Lets hope he thrives here. 

• Like 2

Huge one, out of the guys we’ve been connected to I think he was #1 on my wishlist. I think he could be the centerpiece of the squad going forward. I also appreciate the fact that it appears we’re going after defenders. Adams was #161 nationally in steal rate his freshman year. We didn’t have anyone in the top 400 last year per kenpom lol

• Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 4:58 PM, Dabulls said:

This is a huge get, former mr basketball in Florida I believe. Had a tremendous freshman year at UCF but slowed down his sophomore year. Hopefully a change of scenery will get him back to form. Absolutely a great signing

Kudos to our coaching stafff. I guess for all the criticism they are continuing to try and get players to come here. Coaches all over the country are in the same mess with the transfer portal. The mess at Bona appears to be worse than at UB. At the minimum their coach is getting a big salary and can laugh all the way to the bank.

12 minutes ago, John said:

Kudos to our coaching stafff. I guess for all the criticism they are continuing to try and get players to come here. Coaches all over the country are in the same mess with the transfer portal. The mess at Bona appears to be worse than at UB. At the minimum their coach is getting a big salary and can laugh all the way to the bank.

Agreed, shame to Mballa and Skogman playing elsewhere, but they have kept Caesar for almost 2 years (impressive alone). These 3 are all quality gets. Plus 4 unproven but theoretically talented players. If we can get Hardnett right, I think we could get back to a 4 seed.

7 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Agreed, shame to Mballa and Skogman playing elsewhere, but they have kept Caesar for almost 2 years (impressive alone). These 3 are all quality gets. Plus 4 unproven but theoretically talented players. If we can get Hardnett right, I think we could get back to a 4 seed.

Agree. If Mading and Williamson turn out to be good players It could turn out to be a very interesting team. Again we just really do not know how players will turn out to be productive players. When they turn into very good players the coaches are geniuses and when they do not the coaches don’t have a clue about recruits. Go Bulls!!!