Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Transfer News

trueblue32

32 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Another D2 transfer.  Averaged 11.9 PPG, 11.2 RPG, and 2.4 APG.  Started his career at D1 Fairfield and also played for the Egyptian U19 national team

6’8” point forward could be interesting. I like averaging a double-double.

1 hour ago, trueblue32 said:

Another D2 transfer.  Averaged 11.9 PPG, 11.2 RPG, and 2.4 APG.  Started his career at D1 Fairfield and also played for the Egyptian U19 national team

I guess he is the next big...stats at Fairfield were not impressive in limited minutes, but stats at Assumption suggest some progression.  Comps that I reviewed before suggest stats cut roughly in half going from D2 to MAC level, so 5-6 ppg/rbg would be my guess.  He would provide needed size with hopefully some rebounding and  'D'.

Former #309 recruit.  Didn't do a ton in his time at Temple. Averaged 1.1 PPG and 2.7 RPG last year. 3 years of eligibility.  Brother of former 'Nova star and NBA player Omari Spellman

Edit: I believe he actually has 2 years of eligibility. His medical redshirt year took place in 18-19 and he’s played all 3 years since then. That would presumably leave him with a medical redshirt senior year and then a potential COVID year

Edited by trueblue32
  • Thanks 2

Looking a bit more at Arashma Parks. As a redshirt freshman at Temple he played a limited role (203 minutes). Kent State’s Justyn Hamilton played on that same team (in his junior year) and got 241 minutes. Small sample size but Parks had better on-off numbers than Hamilton and Hamilton has since went on to win 6MOY this past year at Kent State averaging 8.6 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 1.3 BPG.

I haven’t watched any video on Parks yet so I don’t know how he actually plays but an interesting reference point for him

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

Looking a bit more at Arashma Parks. As a redshirt freshman at Temple he played a limited role (203 minutes). Kent State’s Justyn Hamilton played on that same team (in his junior year) and got 241 minutes. Small sample size but Parks had better on-off numbers than Hamilton and Hamilton has since went on to win 6MOY this past year at Kent State averaging 8.6 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 1.3 BPG.

I haven’t watched any video on Parks yet so I don’t know how he actually plays but an interesting reference point for him

As you say limited sample size, but thanks for getting some perspective.

Gotta view the portal as free agency. Sometimes in free agency a coach wants a plug and play quote unquote missing piece. Or sometimes they want someone who might be better in a new system. So relating this to UB, in previous years I think Whitesell has tried to find that plug and play guy. He’s failed at it. And sometimes stuck with that player longer than he should have. I very much think Whitesell, like other coaches, is still trying to navigate and find the right combo in this new realm. Not every coach can hit portal homers like Musselman. For continuity sake, or as much continuity is possible in today’s system, I don’t mind transfers who have multiple years left.  And won’t be plug and play let downs but rather guys who come in and grow and develop. Compete and earn a role rather than expect to play despite ineffectiveness. We can all think of the recent names I’m hinting at.

Edited by DooleyBull06

7 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Gotta view the portal as free agency. Sometimes in free agency a coach wants a plug and play quote unquote missing piece. Or sometimes they want someone who might be better in a new system. So relating this to UB, in previous years I think Whitesell has tried to find that plug and play guy. He’s failed at it. And sometimes stuck with that player longer than he should have. I very much think Whitesell, like other coaches, is still trying to navigate and find the right combo in this new realm. Not every coach can hit portal homers like Musselman. For continuity sake, or as much continuity is possible in today’s system, I don’t mind transfers who have multiple years left.  And won’t be plug and play let downs but rather guys who come in and grow and develop. Compete and earn a role rather than expect to play despite ineffectiveness. We can all think of the recent names I’m hinting at.

You bring up very good points.  Coaching has become even harder. Now you have to do the initial recruiting, then get the kids to buy into your system, get them to all play together in that system. Each year you then will be required to re-recruit them or show them each individual love so they don’t feel slighted. God forbid you have a good season because then your team is targeted for poaching (see any recent NFL Super Bowl team). They coach then needs to recruit new players as well. That’s a pretty exhausting task with 2-3 layers more than what has been required in the past. It’s a challenge for sure.

21 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

You bring up very good points.  Coaching has become even harder. Now you have to do the initial recruiting, then get the kids to buy into your system, get them to all play together in that system. Each year you then will be required to re-recruit them or show them each individual love so they don’t feel slighted. God forbid you have a good season because then your team is targeted for poaching (see any recent NFL Super Bowl team). They coach then needs to recruit new players as well. That’s a pretty exhausting task with 2-3 layers more than what has been required in the past. It’s a challenge for sure.

Doesn't sound much different than a normal leaders challenges in any business. 

3 hours ago, Sportsfan said:

Doesn't sound much different than a normal leaders challenges in any business. 

Other that, most business leaders don't have message boards pointing out every fault and misstep and those leaders aren't usually expected to document their day to day efforts on social media.

• Like 1