Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

St. Bonaventure

DoctorBe

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Whenever the time comes, I want the next coach to have a fire and ambition to wanna become a high profile coach. That drive will lead to a mac title or two before he moves on. Then rinse and repeat with the next coach.

To do that we need to be in the $700-$800k range as the annual budget, imo

2 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Time for the university to invest into our athletics. Across all sports.

They put their effort into Football and played it safe with Basketball. Basketball has regressed. Football had a big step back but there is reason to believe (recruiting + culture eye test) things are headed in the right direction.

1 hour ago, Jeseph said:

Donors were going to make that happen for Oats. Success/excitement increases endowment.

I agree but the donors need to realize the donations have to be proactive to attract better coaching options, not reactive to try to save a good coach from leaving at the last minute. 

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

I agree but the donors need to realize the donations have to be proactive to attract better coaching options, not reactive to try to save a good coach from leaving at the last minute. 

I started recurring donations during the Oats success and stopped when I felt like it wasn’t applied.

10 hours ago, Jeseph said:

I started recurring donations during the Oats success and stopped when I felt like it wasn’t applied.

It’s your money so obviously your call. But it’s part of the problem. The first speed bump and people bail. It’s why we can’t have nice things. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

It’s your money so obviously your call. But it’s part of the problem. The first speed bump and people bail. It’s why we can’t have nice things. 

How do we know where the money goes though? To Jeseph's point, what is the point of donating when we aren't sure where/why it's being used and funneled elsewhere.

8 minutes ago, Kevin said:

How do we know where the money goes though? To Jeseph's point, what is the point of donating when we aren't sure where/why it's being used and funneled elsewhere.

When you make a donation to UB or any other charity you can designate what is to be done with the money.  However, if you put too much of a restriction on the use of the money, they money will sit in the bank and only earn interest.  I donated money once for football and said they should use the money to purchase a specific device for injuries.  Until I took the restrictions off the money UB could not use the money.

If anyone has questions about how to donate money for a specific purpose contact Athletics Development. http://bullsbwf.com/contact-us/

Going back to the original theme of the thread...

It's been an unbelievable run for St. Bonaventure that salvaged their season (I had said their season was a disappointment following Atlantic 10 Tournament. That's no longer the case) This is the first NIT Final Four appearance for a WNY school since Canisius in 1995. Of course, we all know the Bonnies won the NIT in 1977, which is the 2nd best accomplishment in their school history behind their Final Four appearance in 1970.

I think their run might've played a role in Schmidt staying. The money obviously helps but the timing would've been horrible to leave during the middle of a magical run when you're considered one of the iconic coaches in school history.

Another question is if Schmidt really took UMass seriously or if this was a money grab by his agent the entire time to leverage St. Bonaventure into paying him more.

Regardless, good for the Bonnies fanbase as much as some on this board despise them.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

Hi guys.  Someone told me you were having a discussion about us over here. Great to see the support!  Thank you for the concern about our coach. If you would like to watch our next game it is at 7 Tuesday on ESPN .  Some of you have expressed concern about our roster next year. We will see what happens, but all five of our starters have a year of eligibility left. If they don’t come back I am sure Coach Schmidt will find some players. Even hearing a rumor that Jeenathan has some connections at SBU.  Wouldn’t that be something!  

1 hour ago, Buffalobonnie said:

Even hearing a rumor that Jeenathan has some connections at SBU.  Wouldn’t that be something!  

There’s a 0% chance that even an all MAC player could do anything but ride the bench at a prestigious A-10 school, let alone one that is going deep in the NIT, which is basically the NCAA Tournament. Maybe if you guys are looking for a DOBO or volunteer assistant… 

• Haha 2

On 3/26/2022 at 1:25 PM, BrooklynBull said:

When you make a donation to UB or any other charity you can designate what is to be done with the money.  However, if you put too much of a restriction on the use of the money, they money will sit in the bank and only earn interest.  I donated money once for football and said they should use the money to purchase a specific device for injuries.  Until I took the restrictions off the money UB could not use the money.

If anyone has questions about how to donate money for a specific purpose contact Athletics Development. http://bullsbwf.com/contact-us/

I was donating to the Basketball Excellence Fund. The school did not invest in basketball excellence. I don’t think my funds were restrictive and I don’t think a poor investment is a “speed bump”.

3 hours ago, Jeseph said:

I was donating to the Basketball Excellence Fund. The school did not invest in basketball excellence. I don’t think my funds were restrictive and I don’t think a poor investment is a “speed bump”.

Yet here you are. One of the most outspoken ones complaining when we don’t have success. 

3 hours ago, Jeseph said:

It shouldn't be about the Benjamins. I enjoyed reading this: https://athleticdirectoru.com/articles/why-butler-basketball-holds-the-key-to-organizational-success/

Edited by DoctorBe
typo

13 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

Yet here you are. One of the most outspoken ones complaining when we don’t have success. 

Yes.

I'm small potatoes. The funds that I made available for donation didn't move any needles. I'm aware of this.

AND I donated for 2 years, watched the school get a significant buy-out and then went hired a "safe" coach with a non-competitive salary, perhaps that contributed to the lack of Basketball Excellence? What should lead me to believe that additional dollars would be used differently this time?

6 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Yes.

I'm small potatoes. The funds that I made available for donation didn't move any needles. I'm aware of this.

AND I donated for 2 years, watched the school get a significant buy-out and then went hired a "safe" coach with a non-competitive salary, perhaps that contributed to the lack of Basketball Excellence? What should lead me to believe that additional dollars would be used differently this time?

Where is the buyout directly generated from a ranked basketball team that guy a coach hired by Alabama + 1mil. Went to the NSC I guess

Nobody posted an update, but St. Bonaventure lost yesterday to Xavier. Based on the home/away schedule, it seems like we won't be playing in Olean/Allegany/St. Bonaventure/Catt County next year but maybe I'll make the trip down there to see the Final Four banner raised regardless.