Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Yazid Powell (JUCO SO PG)

Jeseph

47 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Decommited from Northern Illinois recently. I like the idea of adding athletic, versatile, and "Philly-tough" guards. As much as I loved Rondo, our backcourt has been due for multiple injections of length and strength.

He is #37 prospect per jucorecruiting.com.  Here are his stats for two years at Harcum

image.png.487977863c1d2b360f580c714035a730.png

Agree would be nice to have this translate into some defensive presence.  The RPG of ~6 is encouraging.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently followed Whitesell, Fitzpatrick, and the MBB account.

I'm hoping that means what I think it means.  Averaged 3.8 SPG two years ago, and 2.4 SPG this year.  Since Jordan and Caruthers have left we've been missing guards who get into opposing ballhandlers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

I'm hoping that means what I think it means.  Averaged 3.8 SPG two years ago, and 2.4 SPG this year.  Since Jordan and Caruthers have left we've been missing guards who get into opposing ballhandlers

We need a bunch. Let's start here and keep going. 

12 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Fingers crossed.  Agree 100%, bring in some hard nosed defenders.

Looking at his stats, he seems to be an aggressive down hill offensive player. Did a lot of his scoring from 2pt land and FT. Only shot 27% from 3. Like his size. 2 years left to play. Will be interesting to see how this shakes up the backcourt. What is Blocker thinking right about now? Hopefully he doesn’t feel threatened and decides to portal. Looking at our guard situation we have Jones/Cesar at PG and Powell/Blocker at SG. 

We continue to need a couple wing (3s) players. And another 4/5 type player in the event Skogs is gone. 

Exciting. Hoping he can have even half the career this guy did, but I get Davonta vibes from Powell. Same size, maybe a little less athletic but close, great slashing ability, and reportedly a dog on D. If the shooting can continue to develop, looks like we got a guy today. I like that he has two years of eligibility, can contribute right away and also improve in his time here.

1 minute ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Looking at his stats, he seems to be an aggressive down hill offensive player. Did a lot of his scoring from 2pt land and FT. Only shot 27% from 3. Like his size. 2 years left to play. Will be interesting to see how this shakes up the backcourt. What is Blocker thinking right about now? Hopefully he doesn’t feel threatened and decides to portal. Looking at our guard situation we have Jones/Cesar at PG and Powell/Blocker at SG. 

We continue to need a couple wing (3s) players. And another 4/5 type player in the event Skogs is gone. 

His 3 point shooting stats are dreadful. Glad we beat out Canisius. 

My thoughts on Powell: 

this could be a very underrated commitment for this staff. Powell has tremendous offensive skills, only thing that jumps out on the negative is his 3pt shooting. However, he doesn’t take a lot of them. His best skill set is his ability to drive to the basket. He isn’t afraid to put people on a poster and has a great layup package. His midrange shooting is very nice, his height helps a lot. In the defensive side he’s pretty stout, averages an impressive amount of steals. 

held offers out of HS: Coastal Carolina, New Mexico State, Florida International and northern Illinois among many others 

out of JUCO offers, and decommit from NI: Wichita State, Jacksonville, IUPUI, UMBC and Americas team (Saint Peters)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chet said:

His 3 point shooting stats are dreadful. Glad we beat out Canisius. 

He doesn’t take many at all, his midrange is really good however. In his highlight videos he has a pretty decent three point shot and good range. He would rather drive though 

1 minute ago, Dabulls said:

He doesn’t take many at all, his midrange is really good however. In his highlight videos he has a pretty decent three point shot and good range. He would rather drive though 

Perfect for the Whitesell Iso ball offensive philosophy.

Which is fine but we now need wings who can shoot. To help space the floor.

Edited by DooleyBull06

He shot 32% from 3 in double the sample size this year. You’re looking at last years stats.

Jeenathan shot 31% from 3 his sophomore year. Gabe Grant shot 39% from 3 his sophomore year in JUCO.

Hyper focusing on small sample 3 point shooting isn’t a wise way to evaluate a player

• Like 1